Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to register and pay for a website

• 22-08-2014 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

I am wondering if anybody could inform me as to how a person goes about (a) registering a website in Ireland, and (b) ensuring that it is brought up on google? If so, what is the cheapest method of achieving this and what groups provide such assistance?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You'd need to register a domain name and buy hosting.
    Most webhosts offer some kind of website builder which can help you put together a basic website.

However if you are setting up a website for a business you'd probably need to look into hiring a designer to do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭rusnakova

If you have time, you could just buy a domain and hosting from any hosting provider in Ireland and then install Wordpress and play along with it - for a newbie it will mean some reading and searching the web, but all information you need to do it yourself is there.

Or, as Blacknight said, you could hire a professional web designer - they will have more experience and they usually know what works best.

To answer your second question, recently we put together a short article on some strategies you can use to promote your website - it's specific for Ireland: http://www.3r.ie/how-promote-your-website-ireland/

Or, again, you can hire a professional company to promote your website - just search for "seo ireland" or "seo consultant". SEO stands for Search Engine Optimisation which means getting your website on Google.

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I use Blacknight.com for purchasing and hosting domains. Irish company. Excellent customer service. Loads of good features.

Plenty of online tutorials for Search Engine Optimisation. Once your website is up you can submit it to google a couple of ways which could speed up things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

DS86 wrote: »
    I am wondering if anybody could inform me as to how a person goes about (a) registering a website in Ireland, and (b) ensuring that it is brought up on google? If so, what is the cheapest method of achieving this and what groups provide such assistance?

Thank you.

DS86 wrote: »
    ...how a person goes about
    (a) registering a website in Ireland, and
    (b) ensuring that it is brought up on google?

If so, what is the cheapest method of achieving this and what groups provide such assistance?

Thank you.

Does it need to be a .ie domain eg www.yourCompany.ie
    Or would it be ok to be something else eg www.yourCompany.ie or even www.yourClub.org or www.yourInterest.info ?

If you need a .ie domain, then you need to use one of the Irish registrars.

If you don't, then it may be cheaper to use a company like www.godaddy.com or domaindiscount24.com (naming the two that I've used personally) or one of many other domain registrars. It's most likely that as well as the domain, you will also need to buy DNS hosting from them (some have it automatically included in their prices).

The absolutely lowest-cost way of doing this is to use a site-building tool that offers free hosting. One example is Blogger - and I know that it can be done using this tool. I know that Letshost.ie let me configure domain settings to use our .ie domain for a blogger site. I don't know whether or not the other Irish registrars suppport that.

There are others tools that you could use, too, but be aware that some do things like charging as soon as you go over a certain timeframe or amount of content. Some people will tell you that you cannot trust anyone who's giving you a service for free - but I would argue that a small-time operator should equally distrust anyone who's selling services that they can afford. The best way to look after the risks here is to make sure you take regular backups of your content, and have control of your domain assignment yourself.

All that said - this approach is low-cost because you need to do a lot of work and learning. It may require a lot of skills that you don't have, and maybe don't have an aptitude for eg editing domain settings, creating logos, writing content, taking pictures, configuring HMTL and CSS, etc.

Depending on what skills and time you have, it may be most cost-effective overall to hire an expert to do some/all of the work for you, and let you focus on the other aspects where you have existing knowledge and skills, or call bill your time.

I'm not aware of any groups that provide this assistance for free.

But there are lots of small companies that do it for a cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Just went to renew my web hosting with goDaddy and it's 85 euro for the year !!! Wtf! It was 20 last year.

Anyone know of a cheap reliable alternative? Looking for linux based, low usage hosting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adamrooney

bmm wrote: »
    Just went to renew my web hosting with goDaddy and it's 85 euro for the year !!! Wtf! It was 20 last year.

Anyone know of a cheap reliable alternative? Looking for linux based, low usage hosting.

I find Hosting Ireland to be pretty good personally. They are better than most of the others in Ireland in my experience.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sorry folks, but hosting talk isn't permitted on Boards.ie. A quick Google will look after you.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement