Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
  • 22-08-2014 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi so my partner an I and our 1 year old son will be moving out in the next 3 weeks. This is our first time private renting and I just would like an idea of how much we will be dishing out a month on bills.. Esb, gas etc.. I have a list of stuff but just to make sure I have not forgot anything I would appreciate some advice thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi so my partner an I and our 1 year old son will be moving out in the next 3 weeks. This is our first time private renting and I just would like an idea of how much we will be dishing out a month on bills.. Esb, gas etc.. I have a list of stuff but just to make sure I have not forgot anything I would appreciate some advice thank you.

All depends on size of property and how much washing which there will be a lot of washing.

Storage heating? = expensive
    Lighting- normal bulbs or energy efficient.
    BER of property will make a big difference on heating bills.
    Proper insulation and windows?
    I was in an appartment there was 3 of us and rarely used heating but gas was usually around €30 to €70 the higher been the winter bad times.
    Electricity around €170 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MissRachael29

Thanks for reply, it's a 2 bedroom terrace house not that big. I'll prob go for energy saving light bulbs. With baby yeah there will be quiet a lot of washing. I have no idea what BER is.. It's my first time moving out of home so it's all new to me. The property looks like an older house to me. We are going to view it Monday so I should probably ask about the heat in house ? I'm not even sure what else to ask them. I know electricity would prob be normal as during the day my partner works full time and I'm usually out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Definitely ask for the BER when viewing. Have a quick read on google just to get an idea of what it is.

Perfect I'll definatley have a look thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

BER = Building Energy Rating with say A been excellent to G been terrible

Check the house is well ventillated and has adequate insulation as a lot of rentals are just absolute dumps and really are.

We were in a bugalow and had severe damp and mould problems as there was no insulation and the heating was constantly on.

Bills probably will be alright as you said you wouldn't always be there.
    If you can factor in for the rent and the few other bills you should get on fine.

TV, Internet, Gas, Electricity, Food, soon water charges and rent obviously the highest bill.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill I'll defiantly make sure there's no dampness because wouldn't be good for my little mans health. I'm not sure what the property will be like it's the cheapest I can find in my town for 1,100 p/m the average is €1200 cheapest for 2 bed. Paying that kind of money on rent is madness so please god they do have the place sorted with heating that's a main concern especially coming into winter aswell ! Thanks so much for your help. I wouldn't of had a clue with the BER

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

The only other bills I can think of not mentioned are bins and contents insurance. If there is an open fire, ask if it is ok to light it and was the chimney cleaned recently. Ask if the heating is oil, electric or gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Finding out about the heat is the most important thing.

If there's a an oil boiler, then you will have to buy oil. It's possible to buy small amounts (about E30) at a time - but this ends up being very very expensive. More economical to get a tank full delivered - but you have to find about E800-1000 (maybe a bit more or less) at once for this - and there's a risk that the knackers (who come from various ethnic groups, not just one) will be following the tank and come back and steal it.

If there's a gas boiler, you will have the daily charge for gas, as well as the unit charge for what you use.

IMHO electric storage heating isn't nearly as bad as some paint it to be, especially when you factor in the issues I've just described.

If there are storage heaters, then learn to use them properly.

If there's an oil burner, then either learn to bleed it yourself, or charm the delivery guy into doing it for you each time. And don't EVER tip the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

If there's a an oil boiler, then you will have to buy oil. It's possible to buy small amounts (about E30) at a time - but this ends up being very very expensive. More economical to get a tank full delivered - but you have to find about E800-1000 (maybe a bit more or less) at once for this - and there's a risk that the knackers (who come from various ethnic groups, not just one) will be following the tank and come back and steal it.

You could have just said there is a chance of oil theft without that 'Knacker' comment. There is absolutely no need for it.

Advertisement