Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm system setup correctly?

Options
  • 23-08-2014 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi, I had my alarm installed about 18 months ago. We had perimeter alarm set when we were going to bed the other night and the alarm went off. In checking why it went off I realised that our French doors only have a shock sensor on them, is this normal?

Seems wrong to me that that someone could pick the lock and come in that door without the alarm going off. Called the alarm company and they are going to send someone out to add a contact sensor so problem will be fixed.

Do I have a case for a serious complaint here though? I'm not happy that I have been paying a monthly fee for monitoring for an (in my opinion) inadequate alarm system.

My contract just says sensors on all doors or something like that but am I right to expect a contact sensor should have been installed?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

There should be a contact on the doors as well as a shock sensor. The main benefit of contacts is that you can't set the alarm with a door or window left open and the shocks should activate the alarm before it gets to the stage where the door has been forced open.

The best alarm system will have a combination of shocks and contacts on all the openings with one or two motion detectors too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

OP did your installer give you an as fitted document? Is the system certified?
    I am not at all surprised that things like this are still happening. People have to educate themselves on what it is they are paying for.

It disgusts me that an installation company would put a system into a monitoring station and not fit contacts with shock sensors.
    The OP could have switched on his alarm and inadvertently left his french door wide open and the alarm would still set.

Advertisement