Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's considered good bhp

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Just leave this here:

" I’ve always found the ‘ickle Mazda slow, imprecise and unsatisfying"

Chris Harris

http://community.evo.co.uk/users/Monkey-Harris/blogs/index.cfm/2011/2/7/CHRIS-HARRIS-The-Mazda-MX-5-is-pants-ducks

sucks your link is old, later he changed his statement and yes you can find this on youtube, he said that he likes the MX5 -NA way more compare to the -NB he was driven at time of the statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Back to the original topic, I would consider 130+ or so decent power in a modern car, probably wouldn't go below 150 myself unless it was an older car.

Back to the original topic, I would consider 130+ or so decent power in a modern car, probably wouldn't go below 150 myself unless it was an older car.
    I don't agree, based on weight of the modern car (lets say 1200-1400 kilos) it does require at least 200hp and 280nm to be "decent"

Asmooh wrote: »
    I don't agree, based on weight of the modern car (lets say 1200-1400 kilos) it does require at least 200hp and 280nm to be "decent"

Not for your typical run of the mill family cars, especially seeing as most are Turbo'd these days.

Not for your typical run of the mill family cars, especially seeing as most are Turbo'd these days.
    dunno... I don't like "family cars" but IF.. it would be 1: a Volvo V70R, Volvo S60R or Audi RS4 / RS6

dunno... I don't like "family cars" but IF.. it would be 1: a Volvo V70R, Volvo S60R or Audi RS4 / RS6

Yeah that's fair for us enthusiasts but they're not exactly your typical Family saloon :pac: unless you live in Dubai or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

If you had to do the family car thing it would be an RS6 etc...

???

Can I remind you you drive a 92 mx worth about a tenner...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭charcosull

I have a mini with 39hp (Probably less now). Most fun car I have driven. Weighs about 800kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

LOL at the "Japanese/Korean cars must be derided under any heading possible" cracks again. Always good for a laugh in some posters opinion. Cringe fest to others.
    Racial slur / national stereotype within 10 posts surely, going on past threads!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Just leave this here:

" I’ve always found the ‘ickle Mazda slow, imprecise and unsatisfying"

Chris Harris

http://community.evo.co.uk/users/Monkey-Harris/blogs/index.cfm/2011/2/7/CHRIS-HARRIS-The-Mazda-MX-5-is-pants-ducks

It might no the the fastest car out there, but:
    Bollocks. Nothing more needs to be said to refute that article.

• Advertisement

If you had to do the family car thing it would be an RS6 etc...

???

Can I remind you you drive a 92 mx worth about a tenner...
    yeah.. before I moved to Ireland I had a Porsche Boxster S , 986 a MX5 and a civic Coupe.. what's your point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

if you've to worry about the extra person in the passenger seat ruining your power to weight ratio then you need more powah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

It might no the the fastest car out there, but:
    Bollocks. Nothing more needs to be said to refute that article.

But, if he said the same about a car made by, uhu, an Italian brand from Milan, like he did recently, he'd be considered an authority :D

Anyway the "how much bhp" discussion is silly. It makes no sense at all - like many said, it's down to the rest of the car; The bhp only make a difference in a straight line. You can have something pushing like a rocket on the straight, but that can't take a corner for saving its own life, or the opposite.

As I always said, some of the funniest cars I ever drove where a 35hp 1984 Renault 5, with suspensions so soft you'd swear you had a flat tire, and a 75hp TDI Skoda. Why? They both have really, really bad chassis/setup, non-existent comfort and you feel on the limit taking a bend at 40 kph :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

5 mILLION HORSEPOWERS

Atleast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

5 mILLION HORSEPOWERS

Atleast

would that be at the wheels or at the crank?

would that be at the wheels or at the crank?
    Doesn't matter if it's old. Apparently.

Well, old and japanese is one thing, old and german is obviously in a superlative parallel dimension of course. Apparently. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

MX5's being called hair dressers cars, 316's being called luxury cars.
    This thread needs to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

CianRyan wrote: »
    MX5's being called hair dressers cars, 316's being called luxury cars.
    This thread needs to die.

Suppose we may just call them both hairdressers cars then....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Suppose we may just call them both hairdressers cars then....

Your suzuki is uber macho though......I jest

EazyD wrote: »
    Your suzuki is uber macho though......I jest

It really isn't the most manly. It can go anywhere though. That's it ace card.

It really isn't the most manly. It can go anywhere though. That's it ace card.

so can a mx5...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

so can a mx5...

I don't think it could now in fairness. .

YbFocus wrote: »
    I don't think it could now in fairness. .

You'd be surprised. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Corolla....85 bhp
    19.....78 bhp
    18/85....86 bhp

Says a lot when your quickest car is about to hit its 45th birthday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

so can a mx5...

true.

I hear they take ditches really well when their owners think they're a rally driver and snap oversteer bites.....!

:pac:

166man wrote: »
    true.

I hear they take ditches really well when their owners think they're a rally driver and snap oversteer bites.....!

:pac:

everything is better than FWD cars.. those are ment for people who can't drive, just like automatics ;)

Hey the Jimny is RWD too. Sideways on gravel is very easy...

Hey the Jimny is RWD too. Sideways on gravel is very easy...

I can also attest to this.
    I rented one in Zakynthos, very fun cars!

I really want to buy one, has to be a targa top though!

Nothing an angle grinder and a 9" disc wouldn't sort. FYI the soft tops were all made in Spain under licence. Not sure how the quality compares to the ones made in the land of the rising sun.

• Advertisement

everything is better than FWD cars.. those are ment for people who can't drive, just like automatics ;)

And that's why you can only handle 92bhp in your RWD car of course....;)

And that's why you can only handle 92bhp in your RWD car of course....;)

92bhp? anyway those are stock specs you know ;)

92bhp? anyway those are stock specs you know ;)

Rough guesstimate. It's a 23 year old car that's probably had a tough enough life by the sounds of things, I'd not be too surprised if it was dyno'd as standard and hadn't lost 10-15%..;)

Rough guesstimate. It's a 23 year old car that's probably had a tough enough life by the sounds of things, I'd not be too surprised if it was dyno'd as standard and hadn't lost 10-15%..;)

Good point, lucky for you (or me) I will soon be adding my new LSD diff + some other upgrades :) before I start with putting in my new build engine.
    No hurry here :)

CianRyan wrote: »
    I can also attest to this.
    I rented one in Zakynthos, very fun cars!

I really want to buy one, has to be a targa top though!

Great craic. Zero f**cks given by the boys renting em either. A bit of gesticulating to indicate not using 4wd on the road unless it rains, leave the key under mat on the last day.

Perished tyres squealing round the sharp corners.

Advertisement