Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Cafè

• 23-08-2014 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Do you think a cat cafe should open in Dublin?

I've heard the one in London is wonderful! Has anyone been?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Is this a cafe where cats eat or a cafe where you eat and there are cats there?

Doesn't matter, yes to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Yopyop

From what I know its a cafe where a person goes and enjoys the company of the resident cats!

and obviously has the usual tea/coffee and buns or cakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Would this not have hygene issues??

as far as I know once you keep the cats away from the food serving area its not an issue

But what about toxoplasmosis?

• Advertisement

I'm sure each cat is medical tested for such a thing and many other things. I'm also sure the cafe has to make sure the cats toilet area is cleaned regularly and separate from the area where costumers will consume the coffee and tea, and they would have to get the vaccines along with regular check ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

To contract toxoplasmosis from a cat, you would have to ingest some faecal matter.

Unless you deliberately seek out their litter trays, I can't see this would be a problem!

That's if the cats even were pos. for toxo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Only if they populate it with rescue cats!!

chinacup wrote: »

I would have that thought too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I've thought that they should have one here for ages :) if I had they money I would totally open one!

• Advertisement

I've thought that they should have one here for ages :) if I had they money I would totally open one!

Few hoops to jump through but definitely possible!

well it looks like someone has got the idea and is starting one in dublin somewhere!

Go onto facebook and search Crazy Cats Café!!!!

This should be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

A page that was published half an hour before you posted? You found that quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

There is one in Munich and the amount of tourist that go to it is unreal. I cant imagine it being allowed here with our insane requirements for health and safety regarding food

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yopyop you wouldn't happen to be the owner of this establishment would you?

Nope not the owner but a friend of the owner lol!

She saw that I was talking about it then ran with the idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

It would be quite irresponsible if your friend intends to start up and run this business by crowd funding.

What will she do with all the cats if it doesn't work out?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yopyop wrote: »
    Nope not the owner but a friend of the owner lol!

She saw that I was talking about it then ran with the idea

Just so you know.Advertising ones business here is not allowed.

Ok I'll stop so. Thanks

FSAI will have it shut in no time, as much as I like cats it aint going to happen with toxoplasmosis etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

FSAI will have it shut in no time, as much as I like cats it aint going to happen with toxoplasmosis etc

That'd be a shame. Too few people experience the benefits of animal contact these days. Stroking a cat won't give you worms but it will lower stress levels and blood pressure. I'd like to see more cat cafés and also would like Ireland to work towards more acceptance of on-leash dogs/cats in various commercial premises.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    That'd be a shame. Too few people experience the benefits of animal contact these days. Stroking a cat won't give you worms but it will lower stress levels and blood pressure. I'd like to see more cat cafés and also would like Ireland to work towards more acceptance of on-leash dogs/cats in various commercial premises.

I agree with animal contact being a positive thing but cant work for health reasons. One for example would be cat litter for a start. Therefore pregnant women could not be present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I agree with animal contact being a positive thing but cant work for health reasons. One for example would be cat litter for a start. Therefore pregnant women could not be present

I can't forsee a litter tray upon each table, or women being obliged to eat their food from same. Cutlery and crockery are great inventions and the vast majority of cafés have dishwashers.

Additionally, suburban gardens have visiting animals including cats, but we rarely hear of toxoplasmosis because cats tend to be wormed/people tend to wash their hands before eating. I'd feel more of a health risk from the snotty, sneezy, snuffling kid picking his nose and smearing it over the handle of the shopping trolley to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 _taytothief

These places are open all over the world. You'd expect it to be an orgy of people rolling around in dead cats, and suddenly losing all sense of hygiene from some of the comments here.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/canada/2014/08/31/coffee_and_kittens_cat_cafe_opens_in_montreal.html

One just opened in Montreal! The first in North America! I'm 3 hours from Montreal but my boyf lived there for a while when he was a kid so he loves it! I think I can convince him to bring me :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 chamaid

You get free tea and coffee in just cats vet clinic in dublin apparently. Does that count as a cat cafe?

Meerkat cafe in Dublin zoo is pretty cool. Cute animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm always concerned about these animal cafes and the stress on the animals with a never-ending parade of people demanding their attention, and the health implications of people inevitably feeding them. Some places have dog cafes too, and they just seem like a recipe for disaster when a punter wants to hold a dog that doesn't want to be held.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

chinacup wrote: »

Visited a cat cafe in Asakusa, Tokyo earlier this week. It was for rescued street cats. Read up a little bit on it first as I would be uncomfortable if cats were being exploited. Cats appeared happy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

kylith wrote: »
    I'm always concerned about these animal cafes and the stress on the animals with a never-ending parade of people demanding their attention, and the health implications of people inevitably feeding them. Some places have dog cafes too, and they just seem like a recipe for disaster when a punter wants to hold a dog that doesn't want to be held.
    I guess it depends on how you do it; certain cats/dogs simply love to meet strangers which would make the suitable for the cafe. Combined that with separate areas for the cats only (i.e. quiet room so to speak) for them to go to when they want to be alone and some wall based sleeping positions (can be seen but not touched) and you can make it work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

There's one here where I live. On Sundays the queue outside the place is so long that if you to the theatre for a movie it takes shorter time :D
    The cafè only accepts a customer when another customer leaves.
    There are 7 cats inside, all well looked after.
    Never been inside, though!

Advertisement