Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Cafè

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Rips wrote: »
    It would be quite irresponsible if your friend intends to start up and run this business by crowd funding.

What will she do with all the cats if it doesn't work out?

Crowd funding worked for this cat cafe - https://www.facebook.com/LadyDinahsCatEmporium?ref=br_tf

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/open-a-cat-cafe-in-london

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I love the idea of a cat cafe. But I really dislike the idea of crowdfunding, a euphemism for 'begging on the internet'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Demonique wrote: »

Let me clarify;

''It would be quite irresponsible if your friend intends to start up and run this business solely by crowd funding.''

So they raised 100k, and with that they had to rent and outfit some prime London real estate, and before they even take a single cent in turnover, cater for 2000 people (who 'donated') plus pay wages for 15 members of staff, costs in associated upkeep for 11 cats, marketing, promotional videos and huge social media presence (much of which the founder notably would have able to do herself judging from her history and not have had to pay for)

I would be very surprised if there wasn't other capital or funds in place to get that off the ground, not to mention the founder has an impressive business acumen.

(A quick google says she had an another 100k from an independent investor)

Its in London also ... independent cafes in Dublin seem to struggle and fold up very quickly despite being thronged day to day. Suggests its a problem with overhead costs and not popularity.

I'm sure it would be a 'dream come true' for any fluffy out there to have someone finance their business for them ... not very realistic though. And as I said, a welfare issue for the cats, if it even got that far. What do you do with eleven cats when your business folds?

Advertisement