Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oh please please stop crying :(

Options
  • 23-08-2014 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

I know babies cry but I need to say it somewhere just please son stop crying it's been 4 hours we've tried everything please just stop :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    I know babies cry but I need to say it somewhere just please son stop crying it's been 4 hours we've tried everything please just stop :(

Hang in there. When did he last have a feed? Did you get his wind up? Maybe he just wants a cuddle. Getting into a routine with a newborn is hard at the start but stick by it. Mother of 3 by the way and each of them were different with the way they would settle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

KKkitty wrote: »
    Hang in there. When did he last have a feed? Did you get his wind up? Maybe he just wants a cuddle. Getting into a routine with a newborn is hard at the start but stick by it. Mother of 3 by the way and each of them were different with the way they would settle.

He's fed
    Winded
    Changed... Twice
    Cuddled

He cried through everything and straight after the food... I don't know what else to do we're tearing our hair out... And his christening is tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

He's fed
    Winded
    Changed... Twice
    Cuddled

He cried through everything and straight after the food... I don't know what else to do we're tearing our hair out... And his christening is tomorrow :(

Does he have a soother or comforter? I know it's little comfort to you but he'll fall asleep soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Try putting radio on, with white noise or hair dryer, might sound crazy but that's what they hear in the womb it works ;)

KKkitty wrote: »
    Does he have a soother or comforter? I know it's little comfort to you but he'll fall asleep soon.

Yup. Which he keeps for a minute maybe even two if we're very lucky, then spits it out! He's only 2 weeks old so he's not interested in comfort toys etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Do you think he might be picking up on your stress? Metaphorically tearing his hair out too?

Chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Also, if you do find your getting stressed, best thing to do is put babs in crib, were he's nice n safe, and go out of room for fresh air and a breather take a minute, then go back n try again

endacl wrote: »
    Do you think he might be picking up on your stress? Metaphorically tearing his hair out too?

Chill.

No.. He was going crazy for at least an hour and we were calm enough

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No.. He was going crazy for at least an hour and we were calm enough

Been there so many times. Every child is different and they'll also respond differently to different things each time.

Sometimes they're simply hungry/thirsty/going through growth spurt etc.

Sometimes taking them away from where they're doing the most crying to a dimly lit room with total silence helps.

I've been there so many times. All I can say though is you will find a good pattern soon enough. It always happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Is he hungry again? If he's crying that long he could be.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

My grandad used to feed the kids whiskey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Sounds like greyfox is getting greyer by the minute:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Could always try bringing him for a walk (even if it is the middle of the night!) The change of air usually settles our baby down nearly straight away. Hope he slept for you in the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah the 2 wk to 6 wk crying phase! It's a test I'm sure.

He may have gotten overtired. It's totally counterintuitive, but when they get overtired they scream blue murder for hours instead of just going to sleep. I think it's their only way of blocking the world out.

Try to make sure that he is ready for nap/sleep no more than 1.5 hours after waking up. All done with feeds and changes, ready for zzzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

I feel your pain. I was left on my own with my newborn baby when she 10 days old. I was breast feeding and I remember one night she cried solid from 6-12. It was so so hard. It was a complete body shock to me as I'd never been a parent before and I didn't know what was wrong. I tried everything but eventually I think she got so exhausted and just fell asleep. Fortunately, those kind of episodes didn't happen too often but it's so hard for you.

Could you and your partner agree that one of you take the reins so the other can sleep and the next night it happens, the other parent looks after the baby. You both need your sleep so no point in you both losing out. Easier said than done though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Unhelpful posting is not tolerated in the Parenting forum .
    Consider this a warning .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I remember my sis used to bring the baby out in the car and sometimes the movement of the car did the trick. I wonder could it be the dreaded colic??? No experience of it myself (thank god).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Both of mine did this and the only thing that worked for us was cosleeping. Our son cried nonstop from the day we brought him home from hospital until I put him beside me in bed. Then the (night time) crying stopped and we all got a bit of sleep. Both of them hated Moses baskets, cots and cribs at the newborn stage. Btw they both were sleeping in cots by 4 months so cosleeping in the early days doesn't mean they won't want to sleep in a cot when they're a little older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I would second that he could be overtired. I know a lot of people don't like to leave baby cry... But I found if it was tiredness... Id leave my 2 crying on their cots wrapped up where they were safe for maybe 10-15 minutes (while quietly checking on them)... And they would fall asleep (after screaming their head off). Otherwise it could be the 2 week growth spurt!? Try and see will he take some more feed? He could be hungry?

Hope ye get some sleep. You will have a few hard nights when they turn 2 weeks so definitely keep him well fed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hope the christening goes well op

Mine cried a lot from week 2-6. Seemed to worsen as day went on, as in they'd get crankier as the day passed. Nothing works completely but something's do help.

Car journeys
    Lie down in couch not totally flat but like as on a recliner, put babies head in your chest and stay as still as you can. Rub babies back.
    Place baby over your thigh, rub back, can help with stubborn wind.
    Ask doc if it could be build up of wind/gas from feeding all day, maybe s/he would recommend colief/infacol. For mine I used the comfort type feeds until they 6months. A lot if tummy hassle in my husbands family, but take doctors/nurse advice.
    Disable the door bell and put phones on quiet Cos you know some bastaard will ring at wrong time.
    White noise can be good.
    Rock child in buggy
    Sing to the child, I recite nursery rhymes when my brain stops producing words.

Don't
    Don't let baby get over tired. Easier said than done I know. I used baby whisperer books by (I think Tracy Hogg ) followed the .e.a.s.y routine it def helped and I'm not a fan of 'baby bibles'

If you need to walk away from baby then do walk away, put baby somewhere safe and take a minute.

Don't listen to the people who tell you put baby rice in bottle
    Don't feed any foods before 6months.

Don't stress over housework and visitors. If they call let them make the tea.
    If you or oh need to leave room to settle feed baby then go. Feiic the visitors.

Do ask for help when you need it and do enjoy the good bits as they happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Hope you are OK today, it is a long long night with a crying baby and lonely as well. As others have said, try and get some one to take the baby for a few hours maybe after the christening is over and get some rest. It will re charge your batteries. It is not easy but it will pass, hard and all as it is to believe at the moment.

Oh and no one ever tells you about this!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I found avoiding letting too many people hold them helped a lot too. It made me look like an overprotective mammy but they weren't the ones trying to calm an hysterical, over stimulated baby. If today is the christening I'm sure this will happen anyway as everyone will want to hold him. Also avoiding large shopping centres or very noisy places with lots of bright lights. If you're going somewhere like that use a sling if you have one or cover over the pram/buggy.

White noise helped a lot too. I had apps on my phone and I'd play different ones, sometimes all night, if they were very unsettled.

The car didn't work for us because once it stopped they woke up and the crying started all over again.

But to use that often repeated parental phrase; this is a phase and it too shall pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

Hope you eventually got to sleep. We too have issues with settling our 4 week old son. I'm not sure if he is overtired or has a bit of stubborn gas......

Usually the bath and swaddling him works for us, with a bit of a cuddle before going down if he is like that. I also need to keep telling myself that he will go to sleep eventually......and usually for longer than normal!

Every baby is different, of course, and I know how you are feeling, babies unfortunately aren't born with a manual :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭MollFlanders

Our lo used to have trapped wind and we found infacol helped him to release his wind. Randomly my husband used to gently rub the top of his head and that helped!

Oh and, make sure - whatever you try - give it a good long go.

What I mean is, you're pacing the room with them for what seems like a lifetime and omg they're still bawling and what are you going to do and this has been going on forever, this isn't working, better try something else.

But when a baby is crying, time stretches out soooo far. What seems like was an eternity pacing the floors might have been just three minutes. Set a timer on your phone (a silent one, just in case it would wake him if he falls asleep!) for maybe fifteen minutes. And spend those fifteen minutes calmly pacing the floor, back and forth, back and forth, exact same routine. Maybe some white noise or gentle music in the background. In a separate room from your partner. Back and forth, back and forth. Shush him, whisper to him, cuddle him and stroke his back/head. But keep walking back and forth in the exact same pattern. And maintain it for those fifteen minutes, no matter how much he's crying.

He's still crying? And it's definitely not nappy/bottle/wind? OK, wrap him up and bring him out into the garden. Set a new alarm. Walk around and around in a circle for fifteen minutes - but again, stick with the pattern for at least that long.

He's still crying? He's not doubling up in pain, he doesn't have a temperature or rash or anything dodgy? He's fine. He's just doing what babies do. It's cool. Nothing to stress or worry about. Bring him into bed between you and your partner, lights off, and let him cry. I'm not into the "cry it out" thing, but if you've exhausted all other options, then the thing is, he probably IS just exhausted! And further stimulation won't help. Cuddle him, whisper to him, but let him cry. He will sleep eventually.

Don't be worrying about the odd mental night ... don't even if it happens regularly, he's still very young. By all means talk to your PHN or GP about any concerns, but in all likelihood, he's just ... being a baby!

We're very lucky in that our baby rarely cries ... but we have had the odd sleepless night, especially towards the start, and it is so worrying and frustrating at the time! Don't worry though - he's fine, and it will pass. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

try picking them up and gently singing and dancing with them, show them a mirror, try taking them out for a walk in a buggy or for a drive in the car, keep switching things around and doing whatever works. Our youngest loves watching the trees blowing in the wind, it always does it for her, but eldest used love watching random people walking around and cars driving past.

It can be tough, REALLY tough and all the books and advice in the world can't prepare you for how hard it's going to be when you've had almost zero sleep yourself for days on end and you feel like you've nobody to turn to and nothing left to give, but it WILL get easier and you WILL get through it.

It's early days yet, it's still all very new for you and you're still learning the ropes, but you just have to hang in there and gradually you'll start to slip into a more regular routine with them and day by day it will get easier and easier and before you know it, that screaming little creature will be gooing and gaaing at you, smiling and laughing and you're going to get to watch them growing into a little person right before your eyes.

That little person you created is going to grow and grow and before you know it, they will be talking and running around and the whole experience of watching them grow and teaching and shaping them into the adult they will become is going to be the most amazing and most important thing you ever do in your life.

Hang in there, you're alone and it does get easier and it WILL definitely become more amazing every single day. :)

Did he? Well I'll definitely give try that. He's 2 weeks sure isn't he old enough.... My grandad used to say if you've got nothing helpful to say sit in the corner and shut up.

He managed to get to sleep... For a while at least! We just wrapped him up and put him in bed with us, 5 minutes later he was out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Be careful he doesn't get used to the bed...

Sometimes if all else failed I'd go for a spin in the car with my son and it made him nod off.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    Be careful he doesn't get used to the bed...

Safe co-sleeping is what works for a lot of families.

Advertisement