Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oh please please stop crying :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

anncoates wrote: »
    Be careful he doesn't get used to the bed...

When they're that small cosleeping doesn't lead to a bad habit forming, it provides a really small baby with safety and security and a sense of trust. We've ended up with our four week old in bed with us every night out of necessity so I've had to do loads of reading around it - Dr. Sears is a great resource, and cosleeping would be a fairly common practice for a lot of folk who advocate attachment parenting.

Obviously we haven't been doing it very long so I can't speak from experience but hopefully (!) if what I've read is right, cosleeping can help babies to gain independence quite quickly as they start out slewping in a really secure place. It's also super handy for breastfeeding!!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

anncoates wrote: »
    Be careful he doesn't get used to the bed...

I would've been afraid of this but ended up co sleeping until I stopped breastfeeding at 11 months. At this point I moved him into a cot and into his own room with zero problems and he sleeps like a champ since :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

We went for the best of both worlds by taking one side off the cot and bulking the mattress up so it's level with the bed and pushing then together, that way she's cosleeping, but still in the cot, making it easy for nighttime breastfeeding, but she has her own space and when the time comes she'll just get the extra side on her cot and off to her own room with the minimal disruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Oh we have a beautiful cosleeper cot, unfortunately it's currently mostly used for pillow storage :D

We've progressed to napping in it and starting the night off in it so here's hoping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Is it a nightly thing Grayfox? Do you think your little one could have colic? Baby Merkin had it early on and would cry from about 10pm-12am and appear very upset and uncomfortable the poor little thing and now we add Colief to every bottle and we've had no episodes since, it's worked a treat. May be worth trying if you think the crying is due to discomfort/colic. A little bit of baby massage works wonders too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Merkin wrote: »
    Is it a nightly thing Grayfox? Do you think your little one could have colic? Baby Merkin had it early on and would cry from about 10pm-12am and appear very upset and uncomfortable the poor little thing and now we add Colief to every bottle and we've had no episodes since, it's worked a treat. May be worth trying if you think the crying is due to discomfort/colic. A little bit of baby massage works wonders too.

Friday night and yesterday night! We do give him Infacol before his bottles so I can't see it being colic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Friday night and yesterday night! We do give him Infacol before his bottles so I can't see it being colic

Colic doesn't have a magic cure like that I'm afraid. If all these things worked for every baby there would be no need for other products: colief, gripe water etc.

Both my babies are/were colicky and refluxy and the youngest at 5.5 months can still scream for hours at a time. Things like skin to skin can help calm her some times, the sling is a godsend. Hopefully it's just a bad night or two but just know there are other ways and things to try than just infacol. It made my first worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

cyning wrote: »
    Colic doesn't have a magic cure like that I'm afraid. If all these things worked for every baby there would be no need for other products: colief, gripe water etc.

Both my babies are/were colicky and refluxy and the youngest at 5.5 months can still scream for hours at a time. Things like skin to skin can help calm her some times, the sling is a godsend. Hopefully it's just a bad night or two but just know there are other ways and things to try than just infacol. It made my first worse!

My friend brought her baby to a and e as he just kept screaming! Turned out it was colic, he had to get some special drops in comfort milk. The drops were something to do with lactose??? Oh and dr brown bottles. Even then it didnt disappear. Thank god we never got it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

It's not like there's one magic cure. Infacol and Colief are entirely different products. Infacol contains an anti foaming agent simeticone which coalesces small bubbles into large ones which allows for the wind to appear more readily thus preventing trapped wind.

Colief on the other hand is an enzyme called lactase. This helps the baby's digestion by breaking down the sugar in milk (lactose) which aids digestion for baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Merkin wrote: »
    It's not like there's one magic cure. Infacol and Colief are entirely different products. Infacol contains an anti foaming agent simeticone which coalesces small bubbles into large ones which allows for the wind to appear more readily thus preventing trapped wind.

Colief on the other hand is an enzyme called lactase. This helps the baby's digestion by breaking down the sugar in milk (lactose) which aids digestion for baby.

My friends drops must of been colief so. she had to make up her bottles a different way time wise too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

If there was one simple magic cure for colic - if you could rule out colic by the fact that the crying doesn't stop when you give Infacol - then colic wouldn't be such an absolute nightmare for so many parents. :) Do you think it never occurred to them to maybe just give Infacol before a feed, to fix it all?

I think that you've got a steep learning curve ahead of you in realising that no aspect of parenting is all that black-and-white and straightforward ... it would be lovely, but no, it's not at all that simple. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SarB89

When my fella was born, about three weeks old he went mad one night, we tried everything couldnt understand it. just by chance i put my knuckle in his mouth and he started grinding and biting down..
    We were completely baffled but it soothed him. his first tooth came at two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I'd bring baby to the doctor at this stage. Just so everything can be checked out and you have peace of mind.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mime have all slept beside me for the 1st few weeks and had no problem moving them to cots .
    Go talk to your PHN .

It could be hunger , colic , allergies , pain ,any number of things .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

If there was one simple magic cure for colic - if you could rule out colic by the fact that the crying doesn't stop when you give Infacol - then colic wouldn't be such an absolute nightmare for so many parents. :) Do you think it never occurred to them to maybe just give Infacol before a feed, to fix it all?

I think that you've got a steep learning curve ahead of you in realising that no aspect of parenting is all that black-and-white and straightforward ... it would be lovely, but no, it's not at all that simple. :)

I dont appreciate you being so condensing towards me. I never said it was that black and white. I said I don't believe it's colic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I dont appreciate you being so condensing towards me. I never said it was that black and white. I said I don't believe it's colic.

I don't mean to be condensing (or condescending, for that matter.) I posted a couple of times on this thread giving you practical advice from my own experience - I only have one kid, my experience is limited.

Surely you can see how naive it is to assume your child doesn't have colic because Infacol doesn't stop them from crying? I know you're in a sleep-deprived state right now, whatever.

But I was honestly only trying to help. Apologies if it didn't come across that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Colic is just a catchall term for unexplained crying. The actual definition is 3 hours of crying, for 3 nights a week, over 3 consecutive weeks.

From my own experience and that of friends, almost all babies seem to do some level of unexplained crying between weeks 2 and 6, until they settle down again.

It looks like pain, but in my case I am convinced it was overstimulation or overtiredness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I'd agree with either over tiredness or a but of trapped wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

For our 3 kids we used bottles called Dr. Browns. They are supposed to be anti colic bottles. Also before every bottle we gave them 2.5ml of Dentonox. the second it hits their little belly you can hear the rumbling.

We learned this from our first. We started him off on a different bottle and found he was struggling to get his wind up. So we moved to the Dr. Browns and used the Dentonox. Thankfully in doing so we have never had a single "colic" related issue from there on with any of the kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Best advice I can offer is ear denfenders.

put some ear defenders on and it takes the edge off the shrill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I agree with pwurple. My son had colic. He screamed and screamed some evenings and it was obviously wind related. It peaked around 9pm every evening and then he fell asleep. It disappeared suddenly at 11 weeks.

My daughter cried in the evenings but it was different and it was just inexplicable fussiness. It could have been over tiredness, over stimulation or whatever but the only thing that stopped it was the two of us going to bed and her sleeping on my chest. So we went to bed around 8.30 most nights! She started to settled in the evenings around 14 weeks.

It's quite common for babies to be very fussy at night time and it doesn't mean it's colic. I think the term colic is thrown around far too easily and drops etc are given when they're not needed. A colicky baby will sound in pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Our second lad was an awful sleeper. ..he's not that great no either mind you! But his clock was totally reversed. ..The first couple of weeks he slept in the day and was awake all night. Then when he got over that...he fed every 3 hours without fail. We were absolutely shattered.

Are you close enough to a family member or your parents to ask them to sit with the baby while you get some sleep in the day? We would have been lost without my parents and parents in law in tge first weeks.

If you're sure its not colic or reflux or any other medical condition...then I would suggest you do what you have to to get through the next couple of months. That means have the baby sleep with you, if that's what it takes to get him to sleep and gets you some shut eye. Take turns with the night feeds...so you one night and your partner the next night. That means you can get a full nights sleep alternatively.

You'll probably feel like ships passing in the night, but it does pass and you become accustomed to it all. And remember you're doing everything you're supppsed to and so is the baby. There may be lucky people out there who get a placid baby who sleeps all hours. ..but I don't know anyone....babies and sleep deprivation go hand in hand a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

We also had a desperate sleeper. Some evenings (he wasn't consistent) he cried solid from 6-9pm. In our case we had a but of colic and a lot of reflux so he hated lying flat anywhere. You might have to try several remedies before you find something that works for you op. Don't listen to people talk about your baby forming bad habits etc. just do whatever helps him/her and you and your partner get some sleep. And it will pass. Hope you get some relief soon.

Advertisement