Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Address Database

Options
  • 23-08-2014 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this belongs here or maybe the planning forum (?), but hopefully someone can answer my question. Where is the central (if there is one?) database of property addresses held, and how do you change it?

A couple of years ago we moved into a new house with an address including its house name. We don't like it and want to drop it from the "address" as there's already a perfectly good numeric address available. It's along the following lines (made up version to illustrate my issue):

Was: Seaview, Hill Rise, Hill Road, Naas
    We want: 7 Hill Rise, Hill Road, Naas

When I signed up for Eircom and utilities I got them to update their databases, but each time I start dealing with a new company with an address database they still list us with the "Seaview" name rather than a house number and it's driving me mad! I'm assuming all of these people buy or obtain their database from a central location? Anyone got any idea who/where this is?

Thanks for any advice and if mods think best moved elsewhere by all means please point me in the right direction!

And before anyone says it, yes I realise this is a first world problem and no I don't need to be told that I should keep the house name or it's bad luck to change it! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I cant advise you what to do right now OP. However with post codes coming out next year - http://www.eircode.ie/ , I imagine it should be straightforward to update that database which will be the one used by everyone. Why not drop them an email and ask?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I'd say an post are the people to talk too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Thanks both, have emailed An Post to see if they can help. Eircode site is interesting but not a whole lot of info up there yet. If they haven't assigned codes yet then maybe they haven't taken their final database from An Post yet for the initial allocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bidd

You could also contact your County Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

An Post dont use their own database!
    My address is my street, Loughlinstown, Glenageary,Co Dublin on their address checker - http://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Search.aspx. So when I moved here i used that, however they kept delaying delivery to me and sometimes tuck a sticker over Glenageary which said that the address was incorrect and said it should be Loughlinstown, Dun Laoghaire Co Dublin. I've no problem using that as it makes sense, but my point is, their OWN on-line address checker is apparently in disagreement with their own workers, so good luck with getting them to do this for you!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It may be that they are using GeoDirectory https://www.geodirectory.ie/ or some other database. I think MapFlow also have one and Google Maps might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We did the same, I asked several places... An post, utilites, my solicitor.

It's common usage. Which means there are loads of different databases. It's irritating, but we found the electricity one to have made the biggest difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

I'd be quite happy to be proven wrong! But I doubt very very much that there's a Central Database! That sounds far too logical and easy and accessible for Ireland. As someone else has suggested, perhaps ask An Post.

Thanks again for all the replies. I sent requests to Google Maps, GeoDirectory, An Post and Eircode.

So far both Google Maps and GeoDirectory have confirmed that they've updated their databases, so at least I'm getting somewhere! :) NO reply from An Post since last Sat, but hopefully they'll come back soon!

In case anyone comes across this thread I'll keep it updated as I'm probably not the last who'll ask a question like this. Response from An Post now received and is below. Interesting that they also suggested GeoDirectory, so I'm glad I got that one changed too.
    Hi Xxxxxx

I have forwarded the request to the relevant section and trust they will make the change accordingly but please be advised it may be sometime before the change is effected as our address database only effects downloads on a quarterly basis.

This will also just be the An Post database and we have no control over other Company’s and the address database they use if it is not ours.

I would also advise contacted Geo Directory as well regarding tha matter.

Kind Regards
    Xxxx

• Advertisement
Advertisement