Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nappy bin. Screw on lid

Options
  • 23-08-2014 9:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a specific nappy bin. I remember seeing one before. It had a screw on top with a rubber seal that was completely air tight. Operation was Screw off lid, put in nappy, Screw on lid.

I had a look around and cannot seem to find what I am after.

I know there are angel care and tommee tippee etc thing with cassettes but I don't want them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'm looking for a specific nappy bin. I remember seeing one before. It had a screw on top with a rubber seal that was completely air tight. Operation was Screw off lid, put in nappy, Screw on lid.

I had a look around and cannot seem to find what I am after.

I know there are angel care and tommee tippee etc thing with cassettes but I don't want them.

I've never seen those, but I wouldn't rule out the others. We have an AngelCare and there isn't a whiff of smelliness from it, ever, after almost eight months. It's designed to be completely airtight, even with a flip-up lid (you push the nappies down through the airtight seal under the lid.) I'm guessing you've never tried to hold a squirmy rolly baby on a changing table with one hand, while trying to unscrew a screw lid with the other hand? :D It sounds so inconvenient to me, personally it's not something I'd consider. With the AngelCare bin, it's pop the lid up, stuff in the nappy, shut the lid - done with one hand in around 2 seconds. A lot easier and less time-consuming. What do you think the benefit of a screw lid over a pop-up lid would be? I wouldn't even bother with a nappy bin at all if ours weren't so fast and easy to use!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

I've never seen those, but I wouldn't rule out the others. We have an AngelCare and there isn't a whiff of smelliness from it, ever, after almost eight months. It's designed to be completely airtight, even with a flip-up lid (you push the nappies down through the airtight seal under the lid.) I'm guessing you've never tried to hold a squirmy rolly baby on a changing table with one hand, while trying to unscrew a screw lid with the other hand? :D It sounds so inconvenient to me, personally it's not something I'd consider. With the AngelCare bin, it's pop the lid up, stuff in the nappy, shut the lid - done with one hand in around 2 seconds. A lot easier and less time-consuming. What do you think the benefit of a screw lid over a pop-up lid would be? I wouldn't even bother with a nappy bin at all if ours weren't so fast and easy to use!

Thanks for reply. I have hooks at side of our changing table. I hang a nappy bag off them and put nappy in. Only when finished changing and baby moved somewhere else do I go putting the nappy bag away - in case baby would roll off changing table - and trust me he tries, you just cannot take your eyes off him for half a second on the changing table ; )

So screwing off a lid is no bother - as all done afterwards.

Thanks for reply. I have hooks at side of our changing table. I hang a nappy bag off them and put nappy in. Only when finished changing and baby moved somewhere else do I go putting the nappy bag away - in case baby would roll off changing table - and trust me he tries, you just cannot take your eyes off him for half a second on the changing table ; )

So screwing off a lid is no bother - as all done afterwards.

I really don't understand your thinking. :o I don't know anyone who has a nappy bin who uses nappy bags as well - those are for when you're out and about. Surely you have to hold baby with one hand when putting the nappy into the nappy bag - it takes no longer to just put it straight into the nappy bin with one hand.

Would you be bothered with a nappy bin at all if you have to go away and put the baby somewhere else before using it? The whole point of these bins is convenience!

Anyways I can't advise you on the screw-top bins - I imagine they're not widely available, as a nappy bin that requires two hands to operate pretty much defeats the purpose - I doubt there's much demand for them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mummilk

I use a nappy bag and a bin. The bag is to put all the dirty wipes in until you are finished the job, then the nappy, then it goes in the bin. Otherwise dirty wipes get everywhere. The bin is to stop the smell, the nappy bags aren't that scented that they can hide the smell. Of a really dirty nappy in the normal bin.

I'm old-school, I stuff the wipes into the nappy and wrap them all up together! :D They didn't have nappy bags when I started changing nappies (or nappy bins, for that matter!) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I'm old-school, I stuff the wipes into the nappy and wrap them all up together! :D They didn't have nappy bags when I started changing nappies (or nappy bins, for that matter!) :D

Me too, I can make make quite the neat package out of the biggest explosions! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

That's what I do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mummilk

I used to do it aswell but using a bag is far quicker and neater so I changed tactic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Exactly that. The perfect little package after a massive explosion! Lol.

On another note, do you not find the angel care bin a bit unhygienic?? This is why I ask. I bought one a couple weeks ago when they were on sale in argos. Yes not a whiff of a smell which is great! However, you know how you actually have to push the nappy down past the opening bit... Do you find your hands go all over the blue part of the bag that the nappy is being pushed down on? I'm not sure if I'm articulating myself very well.... So tell me if you don't understand what I'm saying! Lol. But I haven't used it te past few days coz I'm not sure if that just makes my hands germier than they need to be! I have another One that I can literally drop the nappies into. Also, I've seen the tommee tippee bins have a bar thing on the lid that when you close it it pushes the nappy down to the bucket part so you don't have to push it down with your hand... It's annoying the angelcare doesn't have that mechanism...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Exactly that. The perfect little package after a massive explosion! Lol.

On another note, do you not find the angel care bin a bit unhygienic?? This is why I ask. I bought one a couple weeks ago when they were on sale in argos. Yes not a whiff of a smell which is great! However, you know how you actually have to push the nappy down past the opening bit... Do you find your hands go all over the blue part of the bag that the nappy is being pushed down on? I'm not sure if I'm articulating myself very well.... So tell me if you don't understand what I'm saying! Lol. But I haven't used it te past few days coz I'm not sure if that just makes my hands germier than they need to be! I have another Hun that I can literally drop the nappies into. Also, I've seen the tommee tippee bins have a bar thing on the lid that when you close it it pushes the nappy down to the bucket part so you don't have to push it down with your hand... It's annoying the angelcare doesn't have that mechanism...

I know what you mean. You have this fancy gizmo and then end up just having to force the nappy in and dirtying your hands etc.

I buy the 200 nappy bags in Tesco for a euro or something, so very cheap. And as in the OP, I'm just looking for an air tight bin to put the bags in to.

Reason I don't like these fancy bins is first of all the cost of the refills and then the fact that some of them are not completely air tight. Ok, They are in bags but the bags after a while will get smelly. Especially with heat on etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement