Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chromecast vpn thru phone

• 23-08-2014 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭

Hello

I am trying to figure out a workaround to use a vpn service in the chromecast. I have tunnelbear installed in my phone and what I want to do is the following:

1. Wifi received on my phone - ok
    2. Enable tunnelbear - ok
    3. Wifi tether the vpned wifi. This is where ot fails as my N5 defaults to sharing the "mobile internet" instead of the wifi.

Does the above make sense? Any idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

gzoladz wrote: »
    Hello

I am trying to figure out a workaround to use a vpn service in the chromecast. I have tunnelbear installed in my phone and what I want to do is the following:

3. Wifi tether the vpned wifi. This is where ot fails as my N5 defaults to sharing the "mobile internet" instead of the wifi.

You can't share the wifi your phone is receiving, only mobile data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

WiFi can't be shared as Fresh Pots said.

Additionally, Tunnelbear doesn't support Chromecast. To my knowledge, the only way to use a VPN with Chromecast is to configure it at the router. Even then, because Google's DNS settings are hardwired into Chromecast, it only works with some routers, mostly with custom firmware. Unblock-Us is one VPN that apparently works, although it doesn't officially support Chromecast either. See here and here.

To be honest, while I'm a fan of the open nature of Chromecast when it comes to apps, not to mention the price, this is one thing that is a million times easier on an AppleTV - Tunnelbear and hey presto. Provided you have an Apple device that does Airplay of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

The other workaround is with screen mirroring, but then I can't use the server device for anything else.

There is an opportunity for chromecast 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Get a device that runs XBMC, then you can cast from phone using the Yatse Android app. I send YouTube vids to XBMC this way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Fyi you can share wifi from your device. Check fqrouter2 on the play store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

gzoladz wrote: »
    Hello

You could just root the chromecast see the link below from xda. This would allow you to change the DNS.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/root-hubcap-chromecast-root-release-t2855893

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    You could just root the chromecast see the link below from xda. This would allow you to change the DNS.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/root-hubcap-chromecast-root-release-t2855893

If anyone gives this a go let us know how it went!
    Looks interesting.
    Does the chromecast update it's software automatically every so often though?Would you lose root or lose out on updates when that happens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Going to try this myself , I've already taken the chromecast out of the tv so that google can't force an update before I get a chance to do this. I missed out on the first root don't want to miss this chance.

When you root it will stop the automatic updates and then you get the updates from the Team-Eureka.

Advertisement