Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gameweek 3 transfers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Because they have heaps of money and he is a very good back up. I would be shocked if Zabaleta doesn't start every game unless he is injured.

If you've a CL tie, say against AC Milan, and you're playing Burnley at the weekend, why would you play Zabaleta when you have Sagna available?

I expect Sagna to play at least six to eight PL games this season. Zabaleta played 35 last season but Sagna has obviously been signed IMO with the expectation that he will lessen the amount of games Zab plays.

An article by the Manchester Evening News pre the signing seemed to think so too:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-city-transfers-bacary-sagna-7135126
    There is, unsurprisingly, method in Manuel Pellegrini’s madness and it comes from within that games played statistic. The Blues boss, like most, wants two quality players competing for each spot. Two players he can rely on to do a job.

He has already said that he expects City to be fighting on four fronts again next term. He will not want 29-year-old Zabaleta to take the strain that racking up almost a half century of games can cause.

Sagna, if he does make the switch, will provide welcome relief - and competition.

That is something that has been absent this season, something which does not bode well for Micah Richards.

How are you feeling about Begovic, I have Terry myself to downgrade but I'm concerned about Stoke's defence this season and should I get rid of both Terry and Begovic but keep Bojan for one more GW.

I plan to go for Lloris when I get the chance. Downgrading Terry to a 5 mil player in the team above, would leave me with .5 free to go to Lloris.

In saying that, I'm not overly worried. Stoke have conceded but just one goal a game. I still have faith that they'll get things right at the back yet. Not this weekend though but hopefully he might rack up save points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Lemlin wrote: »
    If you've a CL tie, say against AC Milan, and you're playing Burnley at the weekend, why would you play Zabaleta when you have Sagna available?

For the record, these are the PL games before the 6 midweek CL group games for City:

Arsenal (A)
    Tigers (A)
    Spurs (H)
    Man United (H)
    Swansea (H)
    Everton (H)

They play Burnley for the first time over Christmas (28th dec) so there'll be rotation at that time I reckon, return game is March.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

8-10 wrote: »
    For the record, these are the PL games before the 6 midweek CL group games for City:

Arsenal (A)
    Tigers (A)
    Spurs (H)
    Man United (H)
    Swansea (H)
    Everton (H)

They play Burnley for the first time over Christmas (28th dec) so there'll be rotation at that time I reckon, return game is March.

They could and will also rotate the weekend after cl games.

Too much rotation risk with Jovetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

They could and will also rotate the weekend after cl games.

Ah I was just nitpicking the fact that they won't be playing Burnley before a CL fixture, to nitpick further they won't be having any CL ties v AC Milan this season either as they didn't qualify! Only finished 8th in Serie A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Is Kompany worth the cash at the back? I have him in but I feel like I can get better value out of a cheaper defender. Are any expensive defenders worth a go at all, actually? I'm currently planning my wildcard, which I'll be using fairly soon because some of the lads are pulling away in my private league, and in order to upgrade my front 7 I'd have to abandon any thoughts of keeping Coleman/Kompany at the back. I would have liked to have one expensive defender at least but I don't know if they're worth it unless they're consistently attacking or prone to clean sheets and bonus points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

I'm not doing anything drastic. I was tempted to knee-jerk but my philosophy this year is to think things through. (No more drunk transfers!) Bojan is gone to Naismith but that's it. I was gonna ship Pieters out but they have easy fixtures upcoming so he gets a reprieve for a few weeks.

Apart from that, my plan is to downgrade De Gea in a couple of weeks. SURELY they can keep a cleansheet over the next two fixtures. Then I'll need another .6 or so to afford Aguero (for Rooney) should he stay fit once he's got a full 90 under his belt. That .6 will come from downgrading either Terry or Debuchy. It'll probably be Debuchy because I feel Chelsea coverage is a must.

That's the plan for now, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Is Kompany worth the cash at the back? I have him in but I feel like I can get better value out of a cheaper defender. Are any expensive defenders worth a go at all, actually? I'm currently planning my wildcard, which I'll be using fairly soon because some of the lads are pulling away in my private league, and in order to upgrade my front 7 I'd have to abandon any thoughts of keeping Coleman/Kompany at the back. I would have liked to have one expensive defender at least but I don't know if they're worth it unless they're consistently attacking or prone to clean sheets and bonus points.

You can always go cheaper but i think Terry at the same price is a better option. Chelsea are very strong at the back and he will score a few goals.

Di Maria going to United is going to have me scratching my head. I have Rooney and Mata and both could be rotated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Di Maria going to United is going to have me scratching my head. I have Rooney and Mata and both could be rotated.

Vidal going to united also has me worried. I may have to transfer out cleverley :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

He can play in the middle, though usually part of a middle three. That would mean a change in system, which brings its own problems.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

You can always go cheaper but i think Terry at the same price is a better option. Chelsea are very strong at the back and he will score a few goals.

I've heard Terry quoted a lot as the best value of the more expensive defenders so I might give him a go. There's a lot of great bargains to be had in defence at the moment but my worry there is are these players season-long performers or just bandwagons? No point filling the defence with dirt cheap bandwagons and having no cash to upgrade if they stop performing, in my opinion. Do any players that are more experienced than a newbie like me have an opinion on that?

Might have to study the fixtures in more detail to see if I can come up with a long term plan of some sort (I have none at the moment, just playing week to week and going with the flow).

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭TaytoCrisps

Getting in Rivière for Newcastle this week and getting rid of bojan . 1.5% ownership ... madness most likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Here's Lahm reacting to hearing some talking about Zabaleta as the best right back in the world.

Bti0BxM.jpg

8-10 wrote: »

Arsenal (A)
    Tigers (A)
    Spurs (H)
    Man United (H)
    Swansea (H)
    Everton (H)

I think when I put the word "say" it clarifies that I was just picking random teams.

You've more times on your hand to check these things than I do :pac:

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Here's Lahm reacting to hearing some talking about Zabaleta as the best right back in the world.

Bti0BxM.jpg

Lahm has been playing in midfield and lb in recent years. Zabaleta is the best rb in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm looking at a frontline of Aguero, Costa and Ade long term myself. Ade at 8.5 could be too good to turn down. Forward players have scored well under Poch at Southampton.

That's what I'm looking at presently too.

I'd also be tempted to throw Lloris in goal and leave him. Then just rotate cheap defenders every week.

That'd give me a front line of Adebayor, Aguero and Costa with Hazard, Ramsey and Sigurdsson plus a £7m-£7.5m in midfield, but anyway, that's a few weeks away for me at this stage and will change dramatically by the time I wildcard no doubt. :pac:

I've heard Terry quoted a lot as the best value of the more expensive defenders so I might give him a go. There's a lot of great bargains to be had in defence at the moment but my worry there is are these players season-long performers or just bandwagons? No point filling the defence with dirt cheap bandwagons and having no cash to upgrade if they stop performing, in my opinion. Do any players that are more experienced than a newbie like me have an opinion on that?

Might have to study the fixtures in more detail to see if I can come up with a long term plan of some sort (I have none at the moment, just playing week to week and going with the flow).

Just my personal opinion i think Chelsea will concede the fewest goals this season in the league. I think you need either a Chelsea defender or a keeper.

I have also got Debuchy for Arsenal i think they will keep clean sheets. So i would say every week i will start those two.

Then i have three cheap defenders Moore 4.0, Wisdom 4.0 and Collocini at 4.5 who are all regulars. So each week depending on fixtures i can decide which of those three i think is more likely to get a clean sheet.

Looking at this week Collocini is at home to a poor Crystal Palace and they have a good chance of a clean sheet.

• Advertisement

Lahm has been playing in midfield and lb in recent years. Zabaleta is the best rb in the world.

All I'm worried about as an FF player is whether he'll play. He could be the worst RB in the world and playing in a City defence keeping clean sheets and I wouldn't give a hoot.

The fact is City haven't signed a 31 year old on a reported 150k a week 3 year contract to leave him sitting on the bench all the time.

Just my personal opinion i think Chelsea will concede the fewest goals this season in the league. I think you need either a Chelsea defender or a keeper.

I have also got Debuchy for Arsenal i think they will keep clean sheets. So i would say every week i will start those two.

Then i have three cheap defenders Moore 4.0, Wisdom 4.0 and Collocini at 4.5 who are all regulars. So each week depending on fixtures i can decide which of those three i think is more likely to get a clean sheet.

Looking at this week Collocini is at home to a poor Crystal Palace and they have a good chance of a clean sheet.

Thanks for the advice, it's helpful! :)

You seem to have a fairly solid defence there with two definite starters each week. Does it effect your front line at all, or do your three cheap defenders leave you with enough cash to invest up front? A lot of people seem to have some Chelsea input in defence so I'll need to work towards Terry in defence I think or risk falling behind. I would go for the keeper but I am liking the sound of Krul/Elliot combo for keeper myself to at least guarantee a starter each week and hopefully a few clean sheets for cheap. I currently have De Gea/Howard which aside from being ineffective so far is a complete waste of cash!

I'm laughing at the 50000 people who have transferred out Rooney this week when united just bought Di Maria. They are hardly going to bench the club captain.

Paully D wrote: »
    That's what I'm looking at presently too.

I'd also be tempted to throw Lloris in goal and leave him. Then just rotate cheap defenders every week.

That'd give me a front line of Adebayor, Aguero and Costa with Hazard, Ramsey and Sigurdsson plus a £7m-£7.5m in midfield, but anyway, that's a few weeks away for me at this stage and will change dramatically by the time I wildcard no doubt. :pac:

I'm holding off on the wildcard too. Going to give things time to settle. It's also easy to because I'm very happy with how things have gone so far. It's been my best start in a while.

I can't see myself holding the WC past GW6 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm holding off on the wildcard too. Going to give things time to settle. It's also easy to because I'm very happy with how things have gone so far. It's been my best start in a while.

I can't see myself holding the WC past GW6 though.

I agree with all of that. I'm on 125 points at the minute which is one of, if not my best ever start.

If I could make it into GW5 without touching the wildcard and getting by on my FT's I'd be delighted. Barring a disaster I should be able to do that.

Manchester City and Liverpool's fixtures really pick up from GW6 onwards, while Manchester United's soon after that start to revert back to normality. I'll be aiming at using my wildcard ahead of GW6 to start moving out the Manchester United players (I have 3 at present, 2 too many probably) and starting to get the likes of Aguero on board.

Cool story Bro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Paully D wrote: »
    I agree with all of that. I'm on 125 points at the minute which is one of, if not my best ever start.

If I could make it into GW5 without touching the wildcard and getting by on my FT's I'd be delighted. Barring a disaster I should be able to do that.

Manchester City and Liverpool's fixtures really pick up from GW6 onwards, while Manchester United's soon after that start to revert back to normality. I'll be aiming at using my wildcard ahead of GW6 to start moving out the Manchester United players (I have 3 at present, 2 too many probably) and starting to get the likes of Aguero on board.

+1, the way the fixtures are stacked this year - it makes total sense. Big switch from united to city players for GW6. Also Hull's fixtures turn awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

Right.
    Someone tell me what they think of this team. Have my wildcard activated and have changed it up a bit after some helpful comments earlier. Here it is. Lemlin please tell me what you think. I think its a much more balanced team from the one i posted earlier and has much more goalscoring potential with aguero.

Mcgregor

Coleman Dummet O Shea

Sigurdsson Fabregas Mata Henderson Ramsey

Costa Aguero

Subs: Myill Naismith Moore Wisdom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

^Lemlin has a big admirer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

qwabercd wrote: »
    ^Lemlin has a big admirer

Boards doesn't have appropriate smilies for times like this, has anybody got a good gif to express these sentiments.
    Lemlin isn't the blushing type I'd say!

He'll probably be at Lemlin's throat at some stage (who hasn't been;)) and we'll have this to come back with.

Right.
    Someone tell me what they think of this team. Have my wildcard activated and have changed it up a bit after some helpful comments earlier. Here it is. Lemlin please tell me what you think. I think its a much more balanced team from the one i posted earlier and has much more goalscoring potential with aguero.

Mcgregor

Coleman Dummet O Shea

Sigurdsson Fabregas Mata Henderson Ramsey

Costa Aguero

Subs: Myill Naismith Moore Wisdom

Well seing as you singled me out....

Goalkeeper: I'd try and upgrade to Lloris. He's only .5 mil more expensive isn't he?

Defence: Coleman is way overpriced at 7 million. If you want an expensive defender, Chelsea are the only team I'd go with. I'd also go with van Aanholt over O'Shea and would try to work Coloccini in ahead of Dummett. You are leaving yourself a bit short with Dummett and Wisdom as both are in danger of losing their places when others are fit.

Midfield/attack: Looks good to me but I'd drop either Henderson/Naismith for the cheapest player available in that position. The last thing you want to do is leave yourself with a dilemma of who you will play. You'll either go 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 so pick one and stick to it. I'd probably take Hendo out for someone 4.5 and use the 1.5 mil elsewhere if it were me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Boards doesn't have appropriate smilies for times like this, has anybody got a good gif to express these sentiments.

He'll probably be at Lemlin's throat at some stage (who hasn't been;)) and we'll have this to come back with.

How about this? :)

Edit: I can do better....

logo20476542221271453832.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭SQLDBA

Is Balotelli worth 10 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

How about this? :)

Edit: I can do better....

logo20476542221271453832.png

I think your jealous that you weren't asked! Don't worry, I'm sure your time will come*!

*Who should I bring in for Giroud?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

I'm laughing at the 50000 people who have transferred out Rooney this week when united just bought Di Maria. They are hardly going to bench the club captain.

It is because Super Mario has arrived!

plus Rooney is contributing zero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Chester out Blackett in. Fancy United to keep a clean sheet against Burnley, just hope he gets the full 90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

HighClass wrote: »
    Chester out Blackett in. Fancy United to keep a clean sheet against Burnley, just hope he gets the full 90.

Rojo and Evans could feature?

I think your jealous that you weren't asked! Don't worry, I'm sure your time will come*!

*Who should I bring in for Giroud?!

I don't need people to ask, and they know better than ask the local crazy man anyway :pac:

Andreas Weimann, to answer your question. Only slightly in jest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Anyone have any opinion on when Adebayor might go up? Want to get him in before a price rise, but would like to leave it as close to the weekend as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Have De Gea and Myhill as my keepers at mo...so not exactly working out!!!

Have used my FT to dump Bojan for Jovetivic this week.
    Seems Krul or Guzan are best cheaper GK options.....thinking of getting rid of De Gea and using the extra funds to buy likes of Aguero later.
    What decent 4m keeper rotates well with either Guzan or Krul?
    Cheers for any replies on this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

Well seing as you singled me out....

Goalkeeper: I'd try and upgrade to Lloris. He's only .5 mil more expensive isn't he?

Defence: Coleman is way overpriced at 7 million. If you want an expensive defender, Chelsea are the only team I'd go with. I'd also go with van Aanholt over O'Shea and would try to work Coloccini in ahead of Dummett. You are leaving yourself a bit short with Dummett and Wisdom as both are in danger of losing their places when others are fit.

Midfield/attack: Looks good to me but I'd drop either Henderson/Naismith for the cheapest player available in that position. The last thing you want to do is leave yourself with a dilemma of who you will play. You'll either go 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 so pick one and stick to it. I'd probably take Hendo out for someone 4.5 and use the 1.5 mil elsewhere if it were me.

Thank you very much man, appreaciate it!

Ive gone lloris in goals now and replaced coleman with Ivanovic and changed o shea to van aanholt. Im sure Dummet will be playing for another few weeks to be honest. And if i take out henderson i have no liverpool cover, I had coloccini in my team and watching the last newcastle match he didnt ever cross the halfway line so not having him dosnt bother me as i dont think they will rack up many clean sheets. This selection still leaves me with a dilemma alright, but finding it hard to drop either henderson or naismith, think there are the best options for the price range to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Trilla wrote: »
    Rojo and Evans could feature?

Yeah, but I can't afford them! Rojo will more than likely be playing this weekend but Evans is still carrying a knock so hopefully it keeps him out!

Ive gone lloris in goals now and replaced coleman with Ivanovic and changed o shea to van aanholt. Im sure Dummet will be playing for another few weeks to be honest. And if i take out henderson i have no liverpool cover, I had coloccini in my team and watching the last newcastle match he didnt ever cross the halfway line so not having him dosnt bother me as i dont think they will rack up many clean sheets. This selection still leaves me with a dilemma alright, but finding it hard to drop either henderson or naismith, think there are the best options for the price range to be honest.

The point of "cover" is that you try to have the best player available from each team IMO. I would see getting cover from a team as the following players who all have the potential to be the top points scorer for that team:

Chelsea - Costa/Fabregas/Hazard
    United - Mata/Rooney/RVP
    Liverpool - Sterling/Sturridge
    Man City - Aguero/Yaya/Silva
    Arsenal - Ramsey/Giroud/Walcott

Henderson I would not class as cover. Not in a million years has he a chance of being the top points scorer at Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Cleanies are the majority of a defender's point haul, so there's no point in picking Dummett if you don't think Newcastle will keep clean sheets. This is a good article to follow for defender bonus points: http://development.totalfpl.com/Articles/313/defender-bonus-point-weekly-gw2

Yeah, but I can't afford them! Rojo will more than likely be playing this weekend but Evans is still carrying a knock so hopefully it keeps him out!

Seems a very risky short term move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not a gif but why have a gif when you can indulge yourself for over 3 mins :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

PARlance wrote: »

Warn me when you post something like this again, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

wonski wrote: »
    Warn me when you post something like this again, please.

I know, it's catchy ;):)

Evans could feature tonight and Rojo didn't get work permit clearance yet.

PARlance wrote: »

Oh you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Chesty08 wrote: »
    It is because Super Mario has arrived!

plus Rooney is contributing zero

A goal every 2 games for a 10.5 striker is decent. Really don't see the rush with getting in Mario. I do think his ff stats will be better than when he was at city as he will play more but for 10 million I wouldn't be taking the plunge yet if ever.

Advertisement