Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

You might be eligible for a free iphone 5 battery

• 23-08-2014 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Just copied and pasted from the apple page :
    Apple has determined that a very small percentage of iPhone 5 devices may suddenly experience shorter battery life or need to be charged more frequently. The affected iPhone 5 devices were sold between September 2012 and January 2013 and fall within a limited serial number range.

If your iPhone 5 is experiencing these symptoms and meets the eligibility requirements noted below, Apple will replace your iPhone 5 battery, free of charge.

Eligibility
    If your iPhone is in working order and exhibits the symptoms noted above, use the serial number checker on the below page to see if it is eligible for this program.

https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I bought mine on launch day in September 2012 so entered my serial to see if it was affected. Says it's not.

But it does say only in USA and China now and every where else as of 29th august 2014 so might be worth checking again after that date.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I thought so too, but there are numerous reports from people from outside the US showing as eligible. See the MacRumors comments section.

My iPhone 5 battery has started failing below 20 percent, so I was hoping I might be entitled to this but I guess not.

However if your phone is eligible for the sleep button replacement they should replace the battery as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

I checked my serial number and it said I was eligible for a replacement. I bought mine in Sept 2012.

What would be the best way to go about this? will have to check with compub on the 29th.

Narcissus wrote: »
    I checked my serial number and it said I was eligible for a replacement. I bought mine in Sept 2012.

What would be the best way to go about this? will have to check with compub on the 29th.

Compub are not an authorised apple iPhone retailer, reseller or service agent or repair centre. Best bet would be to chat online to an apple rep or call,them IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Checked mine earlier and both programs apply to mine got it December 2012, will wait to September and head up to Apple store in Belfast.

• Advertisement

raytaxi wrote: »
    Checked mine earlier and both programs apply to mine got it December 2012, will wait to September and head up to Apple store in Belfast.

Just checked mine against the sleep/wake button program and it is eligible. But mine is working perfect without issue so won't be sending it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

kceire wrote: »
    Just checked mine against the sleep/wake button program and it is eligible. But mine is working perfect without issue so won't be sending it off.

They won't let you send it back if it's working, even if it's eligible .

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    They won't let you send it back if it's working, even if it's eligible .

Yeah, they will let you send it back alright, but it is examined by their Technicians to try replicate the problems associated with the recall as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

I'm trying to check if my phone is eligible but every time I get the message "We’re sorry, there was a problem processing your request. Please try again in a few minutes"
    Anyone else having this problem?

BanjoB wrote: »
    I'm trying to check if my phone is legible but every time I get the message "We’re sorry, there was a problem processing your request. Please try again in a few minutes"
    Anyone else having this problem?

Not open to ireland until end of week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ekimiam

mine was an ebay job, and eligible for both replacements.
    can anyone guess if apple will be asking for receipts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

What's the turnaround time on something like this ?

ekimiam wrote: »

Normally they dont, but make sure you are registered as the official owner.
    Log onto Apples site and check your details against items owned.

https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/login.html?appIdKey=58ef9db8ff4d201409e7270a68e4408ae1678e1618204c476572a1b5e5fb3518&baseURL=https://supportprofile.apple.com/homePage

When i log in, it knows i have an iPhone 5 and iPad Air.

Thanks! my profile has nothing, and it wont accept my legit MBA serial number . oh the joys

Tigger wrote: »
    What's the turnaround time on something like this ?

i read somewhere (uk i think) 5 days in an apple store.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Does anyone know (based on previous programmes) if they actually repair the phone or are you more likely to get a replacement (factory refurb)?

Graham wrote: »
    Does anyone know (based on previous programmes) if they actually repair the phone or are you more likely to get a replacement (factory refurb)?

again read somewhere (mac rumours ?) that its repair, you get your own one back again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

again read somewhere (mac rumours ?) that its repair, you get your own one back again.

Thanks, I don't suppose you spotted if the power button program is also a repair/factory refurb?

My iPhone is eligible under the battery program, the Mrs had an iPhone with the wonky power button issue. :rolleyes:

Graham wrote: »
    Thanks, I don't suppose you spotted if the power button program is also a repair/factory refurb?

My iPhone is eligible under the battery program, the Mrs had an iPhone with the wonky power button issue. :rolleyes:

id say you could guess that one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

Hi All,

I contacted Apple about this yesterday as my phone is eligible for the replacement. You can send your phone via post to them with a turnaround time of 7-8 working days or for a 29 euro fee they send a new phone by UPS. They run a final diagnostic test on the phone (by sending a link to you). After running this they basically told me I've been getting 7-8 hours out of my battery so its not eligible for a replacement battery even though my serial number falls under the category??? As well as this I get around 4 hours out of my battery on a full charge and not 7-8 which they say. I should add that even if I dont use apps etc the battery will still go around the 4 hour mark. So I dont know why the diagnostic results say this. Besides that, 7-8 hours a day from a battery isn't good anyway, that should be enough to be eligible but its not.

Told me to call back next week if I'm still having issues with the battery, despite it being an ongoing issue.

TL;DR So basically, even if your serial number is eligible for a new battery, you still might not be eligible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

manlad wrote: »
    Hi All,

I contacted Apple about this yesterday as my phone is eligible for the replacement. You can send your phone via post to them with a turnaround time of 7-8 working days or for a 29 euro fee they send a new phone by UPS. They run a final diagnostic test on the phone (by sending a link to you). After running this they basically told me I've been getting 7-8 hours out of my battery so its not eligible for a replacement battery even though my serial number falls under the category??? As well as this I get around 4 hours out of my battery on a full charge and not 7-8 which they say. I should add that even if I dont use apps etc the battery will still go around the 4 hour mark. So I dont know why the diagnostic results say this. Besides that, 7-8 hours a day from a battery isn't good anyway, that should be enough to be eligible but its not.

Told me to call back next week if I'm still having issues with the battery, despite it being an ongoing issue.

TL;DR So basically, even if your serial number is eligible for a new battery, you still might not be eligible.

That they're willing to admit that they think 7-8 hours is an acceptable battery life is disgraceful. That really sucks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Both replacements cover different manufacturing periods so I don't see how you can be eligible for both?

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Both replacements cover different manufacturing periods so I don't see how you can be eligible for both?

there must be a crossover. i dont know, just input my serial number and was told eligible for both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

manlad wrote: »
    Hi All,

I contacted Apple about this yesterday as my phone is eligible for the replacement. You can send your phone via post to them with a turnaround time of 7-8 working days or for a 29 euro fee they send a new phone by UPS.

If you pay the €29 euro did they say if they would send you the new phone before they receive your old one? That option would appeal to me. I don't have a home phone so would have to have something - was going to buy a sim for an old 'non-smart' handset I have between that and paying for calls for the week as I won't have access to my usual monthly 'allowance' .

Also did they say it would it be new or refurbished? Would there be a new warranty on it.

Sorry for all the questions. I was on to them on Sunday and they mentioned some approved service outlets may provided replacement phones but there aren't any in Ireland - except going to Belfast which isn't an option for me.

Thanks

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

datk wrote: »
    If you pay the €29 euro did they say if they would send you the new phone before they receive your old one? That option would appeal to me. I don't have a home phone so would have to have something - was going to buy a sim for an old 'non-smart' handset I have between that and paying for calls for the week as I won't have access to my usual monthly 'allowance' .

Also did they say it would it be new or refurbished? Would there be a new warranty on it.

Sorry for all the questions. I was on to them on Sunday and they mentioned some approved service outlets may provided replacement phones but there aren't any in Ireland - except going to Belfast which isn't an option for me.

Thanks

D

Basically when you pay the 29 euro, the guy from UPS arrive with a refurbished handset and you hand him over your current phone and thats it. I assume they are refurbs because they don't make the iphone 5 nor sell them anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Surely they still put a hold on a credit or debit card to get the express replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

- was going to buy a sim for an old 'non-smart' handset I have between that and paying for calls for the week as I won't have access to my usual monthly 'allowance' .
    Just get an adaptor for the micro-sim and use your current allowance in the ordinary phone. The adaptors are about €5 in the phone accessory kiosks that are popping up in shopping centres everywhere. I'm sure the branded shops sell them too, but probably a bit more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

Thanks for the info. Will look also into the adapter. Didn't realise they were that price .

Thanks for the info. Will look also into the adapter. Didn't realise they were that price .

About a quarter of that price on eBay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

Ask nice in your networks shop - O2 gave me a sim adapter for free.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement