Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City v Liverpool MNF KO 20:00

• 23-08-2014 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The North West's two biggest clubs lock horns on Monday night at the Etihad.

Reigning champions Man City kicked off their season with a comfortable win at Newcastle last weekend while last seasons bottlers Liverpool had a nervy win at home to Southampton.

City will almost have a full strength squad to pick from with only Alvaro Negredo (injury) and Eliaquim Mangala (lack of match fitness) unavailable for Monday nights game.

Liverpool will still be without Adam Lallana, Jon Flanagan, Fabio Borini and Daniel Agger through injury but welcome Alberto Moreno and Lazar Marcovic to the squad. Potential new signing and former City palyer Mario Balotelli could watch from the stands.

This fixture last term saw City run out winners thanks to some dodgy officiating and a Simon Mingolet blunder.

All the signs point to a City win and my prediction is a 2-1 win to the home side.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Looking forward to this ;)

Start of a new season away to City , i'd be happy with 2-2 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No pressure game, early doors in the season. City clearly the better squad. No Super Mario for Liverpool. Take a draw happily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Big ask to get a result at the Etihad.

4-0 to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

3-1 city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

3 - 1 to the greatest team in history.

edit : thought it said Hartlepool

2-1 City

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

A good fixture to get early in the season for Liverpool, City might be caught a bit cold and have yet to turn the Etihad into the usual fortress as it's their first game at home! So this will give Liverpool a glimmer more hope than normal, saying all that I think City will probably nick it 2-1 or 3-2 type of scoreline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

2-2, with someone throwing away a two goal lead. Markovic to make a late cameo that makes Luis Suarez look like an unfit Emile Heskey.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

City should win, but Liverpool have given them a good game every time they've met the last couple of seasons. I'll go for 2-2 against my somewhat better judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not much usually between these two in recent years. Last 12 games have been 3 Liverpool wins, 3 City wins and 6 draws.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Think this will go in City's favour. 2-1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

This has a 2-2 written all over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dull as dishwater 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Both teams scintillating in attack and dire in defense. This game is set up to be both nerve-wrecking and exciting in equal measures. Hopefully we won't see Lucas start, Allen and Henderson ahead of Gerrard and I'd be confident of Sterling getting a few chances on the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

City 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Me - Im going for a 4-3 to the pool - 3-0 up at half time, going to 3-3 - injury time winner!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I won't even hazard a guess at the scoreline, what I am expecting is Sterling to tear City apart as he has done a lot in his short career.

City on paper should win and if Liverpool play like last week they will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Big improvement on last weeks performance for this to be anything other an easy victory for City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Big improvement on last weeks performance for this to be anything other an easy victory for City

City were pretty poor last week also to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Is Balotelli available for this?

Mr Alan wrote: »

The same could be said of City. If City defend like they did last week against Newcastle Liverpool could easily win. If Newcastle had any composure in front of goal they could have won they game, they carved the City defence apart quiet a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Is Balotelli available for this?

No, he hasn't been registered yet. The fa offices close at weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

2 or 3 nil City if Lucas starts with Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

All the talk of the last week performance of the two clubs is pointless. Opening day jitters and opposition that they were expected to beat.
    Monday night will be a completely different ball, with it being anyone's game to win and under the lights the atmosphere will be electric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

No, he hasn't been registered yet. The fa offices close at weekends.

Field him anyway. Rodgers just better make sure the other lads call him Lucas.*

*maybe I should have went with a reference to the Cissohko/Sakho thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

mav79 wrote: »
    Both teams scintillating in attack and dire in defense. This game is set up to be both nerve-wrecking and exciting in equal measures. Hopefully we won't see Lucas start, Allen and Henderson ahead of Gerrard and I'd be confident of Sterling getting a few chances on the break.

City conceded the second fewest amount of goals last season in the league and have strengthened their defence over the summer so this statement is utter bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think a win here would be huge for liverpool alot of question marks over them with the loss of Suarez. They can send a real statement that they are challengers early in the season with a win here.

Sturridge is our big game player we badly missed him for this game last season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

2-1 to City.

• Advertisement

City conceded the second fewest amount of goals last season in the league and have strengthened their defence over the summer so this statement is utter bollocks

I was talking about both opening day fixtures, or did you think that the City defense looked good last week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I was talking about both opening day fixtures, or did you think that the City defense looked good last week?

One game, one game? A team's ability isn't judged off one game let alone the first game of a new season....besides when you've got a clash of the top 2 in the league, things are going to be a way different compared to playing middle of the table teams. City weren't out of third gear last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

If you were talking about last week Liverpool didn't look scintillating in attack.. (Unfortunately)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

City 3-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Hopefully we'll see a bit of Lazar, lookin' forward to that.

• Can only see a City win here. 3-1

Especially if Gerard & Lucas start together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Good thread to make my first soccer forum post.. 1-1 draw my prediction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

It will be an exciting game IMO. But as an lfc fan,can't see them winning.
    Man city to win 6-0.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Looking forward to this one, should be a great game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Super-Rush wrote: »
    The North West's two biggest clubs lock horns on Monday night at the Etihad.

You're lucky there is no Bolton fans on here with that kind of statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Be a good game . City to win 3-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

Liverpool to hit the post 7 times ... get a penalty go 1 up . Gerrard scores . Comfortable 1 up at half time . The half time tea has too much sugar for Lucas and he passes a stray ball between Johnson and Gerrard . Aguero collects 25 yards out shoots for goal .. takes a wild deflection and goes in with City's first shot of the second half . Lucas starts to shed a tear . Balotelli looks confused on the sidelines as he plays Candy Crush on his Apple I-phone 11 complete with AC Milan cover. Howard Webb is sat on the stands chewing Fergies nails as they both know their presence can no longer be felt in the premier league .

On 75 minutes Sturridge connects with a cross flighted in from the majestic Coutinho .. Liverpool hit the post .. dreadfully unlucky . Luckily Kompany is waving to Balotelli in the crowd and blowing him kisses .. doesn't realise where he is and clutters into Joe "No Dandruff" Hart . The ball is the net .. Hart's hair is a mess . He doesn't know to reach for the ball or his hair gel . The crowd go wild .. Balotelli applauds and doffs his hat . His job here is done . He leaves to a chorus of wild scousers singing the "Super Mario" theme tune. A new legend is born on his old homeground .

Fegie's nails and chewing gum supplies are now running dangerously low . The 89th minute disaster strikes ..

Can you believe it Gerrard has only gone and slipped again leaving Yaya Toure through just to beat Simon Mignolet on goal . Mignolet is yawning as he has had so little to do in the second half . Yaya rounds Mignolet .. all he has to do is roll the ball in an empty net .

Suddenly out of nowhere Kolo Toure springs from the behind the goalmouth with none other than a birthday cake for the forgotten Toure brother singing A-ha "Take on me" .. Yaya breaks to the floor in tears . The ref fancies a bit of cake himself and blows up for 2-1. It's a farewell from Kolo that the LFC faithful will never forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Supraman wrote: »
    Liverpool to hit the post 7 times ... get a penalty go 1 up . Gerrard scores . Comfortable 1 up at half time . The half time tea has too much sugar for Lucas and he passes a stray ball between Johnson and Gerrard . Aguero collects 25 yards out shoots for goal .. takes a wild deflection and goes in with City's first shot of the second half . Lucas starts to shed a tear . Balotelli looks confused on the sidelines as he plays Candy Crush on his Apple I-phone 11 complete with AC Milan cover. Howard Webb is sat on the stands chewing Fergies nails as they both know their presence can no longer be felt in the premier league .

On 75 minutes Sturridge connects with a cross flighted in from the majestic Coutinho .. Liverpool hit the post .. dreadfully unlucky . Luckily Kompany is waving to Balotelli in the crowd and blowing him kisses .. doesn't realise where he is and clutters into Joe "No Dandruff" Hart . The ball is the net .. Hart's hair is a mess . He doesn't know to reach for the ball or his hair gel . The crowd go wild .. Balotelli applauds and doffs his hat . His job here is done . He leaves to a chorus of wild scousers singing the "Super Mario" theme tune. A new legend is born on his old homeground .

Fegie's nails and chewing gum supplies are now running dangerously low . The 89th minute disaster strikes ..

Can you believe it Gerrard has only gone and slipped again leaving Yaya Toure through just to beat Simon Mignolet on goal . Mignolet is yawning as he has had so little to do in the second half . Yaya rounds Mignolet .. all he has to do is roll the ball in an empty net .

Suddenly out of nowhere Kolo Toure springs from the behind the goalmouth with none other than a birthday cake for the forgotten Toure brother singing A-ha "Take on me" .. Yaya breaks to the floor in tears . The ref fancies a bit of cake himself and blows up for 2-1. It's a farewell from Kolo that the LFC faithful will never forget.

It's definitely bedtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

It is hard to look past a City win but some unpredictable magic from Sturridge or Sterling could win the game for the Pool.

2-1 City.

City obvious favourites but could be a cracker. Both teams love to attack, should be goals.

0—0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

A game in which the performance for Liverpool is probably more important than the result.

Despite the loss in the corresponding fixture last year, it was an incredibly satisfying performance which showed how far Liverpool had come and what the team was capably of - I'll be looking for a similar statement of intent tonight.
    With some incredible attacking talent on the pitch I can see goals and hopefully lots of them - I suspect unfortunately that the team in blue will end up with more come the final whistle.

Still, one never knows and it's a good time to be playing City, before the get into their stride.

With Man Utd boring the arse off anyone who managed to stay awake through their match yesterday, it's time for these 2 teams to serve up a humdinger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

City usually win this fixture so will expect the same but hope for any other outcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

kfallon wrote: »
    City usually win this fixture

No they don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

A game in which the performance for Liverpool is probably more important than the result.

Nonsense.

All about the 3 points at this stage of the season. Like last season, the performances will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Despite the loss in the corresponding fixture last year, it was an incredibly satisfying performance which showed how far Liverpool had come and what the team was capably of - I'll be looking for a similar statement of intent tonight.
    With some incredible attacking talent on the pitch I can see goals and hopefully lots of them - I suspect unfortunately that the team in blue will end up with more come the final whistle.

Still, one never knows and it's a good time to be playing City, before the get into their stride.

With Man Utd boring the arse off anyone who managed to stay awake through their match yesterday, it's time for these 2 teams to serve up a humdinger.

No way, I'd take a scruffy Sturridge shot off the arse of Kompany in injury time to win it right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,658 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

1:3 to pool , if midfield can get it together !

• Advertisement
Advertisement