Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Graduate Visa without booking through USIT?

Options
  • 23-08-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭

Was talking to a friend last night who's heading to America next week for a year on the J1 Graduate Visa programme. I've been considering it myself so I asked him about his experience with USIT as I haven't heard many good reports. He told me he was appalled at the service he received from USIT as well as the price he paid to do it with them and that he wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

He then said something to the effect of "It can be done yourself, you just have to look after everything - visa forms, flights, embassy interviews, etc."

So, is it possible to apply for a J1 Graduate Visa yourself without doing it through USIT/Go4Less?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Absolutely not. The company you book with have the role as your sponsor, without whom it's impossible to get the visa.
    Can I apply directly to the US Embassy?
    No. You must be a registered participant on a US Government authorised work exchange programme or have other official US Visa documentation for other visa types. The US Embassy does not issue work visas (J1) without the necessary Work Authorisation from a US Government approved legal sponsor. CIEE is the approved legal sponsor of our programme and can issue such Authorisations - the DS-2019. Without a DS-2019 you cannot apply for a J1 visa.

http://www.usavisa.ie/1-year-work-visa/faqs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Absolutely not. The company you book with act as your sponsor, without whom it's impossible to get the visa.

http://www.usavisa.ie/1-year-work-visa/faqs

Cheers, thought that myself but said I'd ask just in case. I've heard nothing but bad things about USIT. Might give Go4Less a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 richiculous

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Cheers, thought that myself but said I'd ask just in case. I've heard nothing but bad things about USIT. Might give Go4Less a call.

Go4Less used to do it however, I've heard they are not doing it this year and that the only options are through USIT or IIIC in Boston. IIIC seem to be much cheaper but I went with USIT myself as my friends chose them as well, so wanted to be in the "same boat" as everyone else just in case something went wrong.

Plus, although cheaper, I would imagine it is more hassle going through IIIC as you have to sort out your own insurance, flights etc, send documents by post to Boston, which I would not personally mind but I just wanted the convenience and to do the same as the rest of the group tbh.

Advertisement