Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is the GAA's website located in the UK ?

• 23-08-2014 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Why is GAA.ie actually located in the UK ?

Hostname www gaa ie
    ISP Rackspace Ltd. (AS15395)
    Country United Kingdom
    Country Code GB (GBR)
    IP Address 162.13.206.174

Is an Irish service provider, using servers located in Ireland not good enough ? I doubt it.

At least the Boards.ie is located in Ireland, on Irish Servers with an Irish ISP.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Knowing the GAA, money came into the decision somewhere along the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

So much for supporting Irish firms . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Could be a Northern Ireland address

deadybai wrote: »
    Could be a Northern Ireland address

Nice try, but Rackspace are located in Middlesex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

GAAs big in Middlesex, isn't it.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    GAAs big in Middlesex, isn't it.

Don't you mean init mate ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

GAAs big in Middlesex,innit

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I'm more concerned about how absolutely rubbish the main GAA website is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Rackspace is a hosting company with a lot of different locations, with cloud based hosting their website would be hosted all over the world, not really feasible to just store it on 1 server in Ireland I'd imagine.

Clareman wrote: »
    Rackspace is a hosting company with a lot of different locations, with cloud based hosting their website would be hosted all over the world, not really feasible to just store it on 1 server in Ireland I'd imagine.

How come boards.ie, and many other Irish organisations, can and do use Irish servers, and use companies in Ireland ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Knowing the GAA, money came into the decision somewhere along the line.

Its an organisation that's purpose is to promote gaelic games. If by saving money on web hosting it can reinvest that money in the games I really cant see a problem.

It does give certain people a chance at a cheap and pointless dig though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Why is GAA.ie actually located in the UK ?

Hostname www gaa ie
    ISP Rackspace Ltd. (AS15395)
    Country United Kingdom
    Country Code GB (GBR)
    IP Address 162.13.206.174

Is an Irish service provider, using servers located in Ireland not good enough ? I doubt it.

At least the Boards.ie is located in Ireland, on Irish Servers with an Irish ISP.

Why are companies like Microsoft, Google, Facebook, SAP based in Ireland?
    Why did U2 move their operations abroad?

There is an attitude in Ireland that all Irish organisations should operate their entire business with Irish partners, yet we actively try to get foreign companies to set up here.

All of the above organisations moved to a foreign location because they can find value there. If the GAA can find value in a foreign company, then they should absolutely go for it.

If your post contained an argument as to why the GAA should use an Irish service for this purpose, then it would be more valid. I very much doubt that the GAA opted for a British service provider because they were more expensive. Maybe they opted for them because it was a better service and I do not see anything wrong with that. There should be no onus on the GAA to work with 100% Irish companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The GAA should look for the best deal it can get.Why should they be rode by an Irish company if they can get a better deal elsewhere

The GAA's job is to promote the 4 sports it controls and I'm not hugely bothered any sort of nationalistic aspect of the association.There is nothing in the GAA's mission statement that says it aims to support Irish business.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just because they are hosting their site in Rackspace doesn't mean that they are developing it there, it's just a place to store the site. I'm sure like most organisations they went out and looked for the best price and service. I use Rackspace and I find they excellent to be honest, far better than some Irish providers I used in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So much for supporting Irish firms . . .

It's a sporting organization, not the IDA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The website is really pants.
    Along with the GAA-Go service.

GAA don't do good promo or tech work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

if they insist that teams playing their games use irish made only clobber, that reports need to be made out in irish, teams sheets need the irish version of players names, then why not the association insist irish providers.

flutered wrote: »
    if they insist that teams playing their games use irish made only clobber, that reports need to be made out in irish, teams sheets need the irish version of players names, then why not the association insist irish providers.

Exactly, the GAA get their income from Irish supporters and volunteers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

flutered wrote: »

I'd be fairly confident if a county got their gear made by a non Irish company and took the GAA on the GAA wouldn't be able to stop them.

I'd like to see someone try it again.Didnt Kerry have jerseys made by Adidas in the late 90's

I'd be fairly confident if a county got their gear made by a non Irish company and took the GAA on the GAA wouldn't be able to stop them.

I'd like to see someone try it again.Didnt Kerry have jerseys made by Adidas in the late 90's

But the GAA would get them in the long grass. Pity the don't practice what they preach though, because the principle of buying Irish should be supported.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Who cares?

Jesus what a non-issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

But it is. The GAA have to combat "foriegn games" with this foriegn hosted site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Rule 1.4 (d) of the GAA’s Official Guide states “the Association shall use all practical endeavours to support Irish Industry especially in relation to the provision of trophies and playing gear and equipment"

More an fyi than a comment.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/magpies-chief-ashley-partners-gaa-in-boot-venture-226232.html

Website isn't playing gear so they can source where they like it seems. Though it seems hypocritical.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Rule 1.4 (d) of the GAA’s Official Guide states “the Association shall use all practical endeavours to support Irish Industry especially in relation to the provision of trophies and playing gear and equipment"

More an fyi than a comment.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/magpies-chief-ashley-partners-gaa-in-boot-venture-226232.html

Website isn't playing gear so they can source where they like it seems. Though it seems hypocritical.

Was about to post what you did there - GAA give their website design to ebow.ie, an Irish company who look after GAA’s Web Design and subsequent Digital Marketing activities. I highly doubt they know where their website is being hosted, but that they have an Irish company looking after it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Was about to post what you did there - GAA give their website design to ebow.ie, an Irish company who look after GAA’s Web Design and subsequent Digital Marketing activities. I highly doubt they know where their website is being hosted, but that they have an Irish company looking after it
    Yup. Looks like the GAA hired an Irish firm to run their website alright
    http://www.ebow.ie/work/digital-agency-gaa/
    That isn't good news for those looking to slate the GAA though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

People very quick to slate the GAA before they get their facts straight :D

I'm sure the GAA are tech savvy enough to know the difference between design, management and hosting.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mackattack

I'm sure the GAA are tech savvy enough to know the difference between design, management and hosting.

Maybe not, but they are looking for a CIO.
    http://www.gaa.ie/about-the-gaa/mission-and-vision/employment-opportunities/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I think the economic war is over lads

• Advertisement

I think a lot of people are missing the point, its not anti UK, its about supporting Irish jobs and businesses and keeping badly needed money and revenue in Ireland.

mackattack wrote: »

Pull the other one would you. I'm sure an organisation which has as members about 1 in 5 people on this island as members has 1 or 2 who can advise about hosting a website. I'm not having a go at the GAA I just think they should drop the support Irish jobs and industry pretence.

Pull the other one would you. I'm sure an organisation which has as members about 1 in 5 people on this island as members has 1 or 2 who can advise about hosting a website. I'm not having a go at the GAA I just think they should drop the support Irish jobs and industry pretence.

Lots of Irish businesses would love to have that contract, and they would be well able for it.
    The GAA should implement their policy honestly or not at all. one or the other.
    HQ dictating to clubs and counties, while not bothering to abide by it themselves.
    Buying Irish really does make a big difference to the economy and employment.
    The looser here yet again, is the Irish public, the ones that financially support the GAA in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Just because the website is hosted in a different country doesn't mean its not an Irish company looking after it. They could have hosting space bought in bulk over many servers in different locations.

Rackspace is not an Irish company, but even if it were an Irish company in the UK, why should the taxes and revenue and employment be going to another country ?

Advertisement