Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Discussion Thread 2014/15 Season.

• 23-08-2014 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Starting at 18:00 IST today.
    Malaga face Athetlic Bilbao. (Will be watching the Everton-Arsenal game but still.:p)

After the drama of last year it'll be difficult for the league to be as exciting.
    The top three year are still levels ahead of the trailing pack but the quality of that pack is also quite high. The plight of Rayo Vallecano was fascinating. Their manager stuck to his philosophy, they were the first team to have more possession than Barcelona - yet they lost by conceding 4 goals. They were facing relegation, bottom of the table for long spells, conceding sloppy goals, but they never let go of their philosophy. Bizarrely, some might say. Yet, somehow they survived, and not only that they grew into a functional possession based side. No longer the whipping boys. Their fans won't want to experience the same this season though.

Overall some very entertaining games were had. Dramas too. Here's hoping for more of the same this season. :)
    (And that Malaga - Bilbao isn't one of them:P.)

Mod Edit: Highlights and Goals - la liga official channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/laliga

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its certainly going to be very interesting.

How will the Big 2 fare this season, now that they have even more of the worlds best players?

How will James fit in at Madrid? Will they regret it if Di Maria and Kheidira leave?

Will Suarez be good for Barca? Will he bite anyone?

Who will win in the annual Messi v Ronaldo goalscoring battle?

Will Bale have an even better season than last year?

Will Atleti retain their title? Will they in the mix at the end? (the Super Cup suggests yes).

Should be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

How will the Big 2 fare this season, now that they have even more of the worlds best players?
    Both still have suspicious defences and lack of cover at DM. Barca more so than Real.

How will James fit in at Madrid? Will they regret it if Di Maria and Kheidira leave?
    On the basis of 60 minutes last night quite well but he did seem to play with less venom when CR7 was on the wing.
    Will Suarez be good for Barca? Will he bite anyone?
    How himself and Messi will get on will be fascinating. Will Messi actually pass to him when he's in a better scoring position? Not likely. If Suarez can tolerate that they'll get on fine.
    Who will win in the annual Messi v Ronaldo goalscoring battle?
    Rumour has Messi is going to be playing far deeper this season with Suarez leading the line. Doubt that will make him happy! If it turns out to be true I'm going to guess Ronaldo.
    Will Bale have an even better season than last year?
    Hopefully.

Will Atleti retain their title? Will they in the mix at the end? (the Super Cup suggests yes).
    Doubtful. They almost blew it last year. This season because their champions everyone in the league will step up their game. It's just a thing that happens when facing champions. I do believe they'll be in the mix though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

After their absolutely incredible achievements of last season, it is hard to imagine Atletico doing anywhere near as well. Fingers crossed however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

After their absolutely incredible achievements of last season, it is hard to imagine Atletico doing anywhere near as well. Fingers crossed however.

They've signed adequate replacements for the 3 chelsea lads, griezmann on top is also a great signing. They actually have a good squad now, think they will push for the title again tbis year imo.

Sky's Terry's been disappointed with the performance of Bilbao. Anyone watch this game and mind giving a general summary? :)

• Advertisement

Duda's sending off the most stupidest I've seen this season. His manager must be furious with him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Another stupid sending off.

Haha this is bizarre!

Goalie just scored

edit disallowed

ROFL! How was that disallowed?:confused:

What a goal though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Goalie just scored

edit disallowed

Dont know why:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Why was it disallowed, looked like a perfect goal to me. There again a free out for nothing.

Think that was a peno. Keeper grabbed shirt of bilbao player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Were that team from the hamlet in the Basque Country allowed to get promoted in the end?

Haha Crazy finish.

Malaga two players sent off. Keeper scored a seemingly legit goal that was disallowed.

FT Malaga 1 - Athletic 0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

Turtwig wrote: »
    Think that was a peno. Keeper grabbed shirt of bilbao player.

Not a hope of him holding

God bless La Liga and its mentalness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sick that the header was disallowed. Top class fair and square goal.

redarmy wrote: »
    Not a hope of him holding

No like a rugby tackle. He grabbed the player from the side. I only got one viewing of it though but my gut reaction was: peno.

Could be wrong though.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Sick that the header was disallowed. Top class fair and square goal.

It was truly. How often does a keeper actually do and with such venom? Feel really sorry for him.

Edit: Gerry Armstrong is back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

P_1 wrote: »
    Were that team from the hamlet in the Basque Country allowed to get promoted in the end?
    Yep, Eibar are starting their season with a derby against Real Sociedad. Don't know if they're allowed to play in their home stadium or not.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Cordoba in La Liga. I live there and the buzz around the city all summer has been incredible. They scraped promotion (last minute equaliser to go up on away goals in the playoff, having only qualified for the playoffs because Barca B can't be promoted) after a patchy season and they haven't made any great signings but it's their first season in La Liga in 42 years so it'll be special at least. And a great game to start with.

I'm an Atleti fan and I'll be hoping for more of the same. Didn't think it could be done with the players leaving but beating Madrid (even if it's only the Super Cup) is something and a good way to start the season. Someone mentioned in another thread that they've lost some big players but kept the most important one, Simeone, and I agree entirely. His energy is incredible and he's dragged them back into the big time. As long as he's there, they'll have a chance.

Seville hit the post, ball travels parallel to goal-line and hits the other post and bounces out!

That happens to me a lot in Fifa!

Can't remember the last time I've seen it happen in a match though.

Valencia hit the post :)

1-0 Sevilla HT Valencia should be ahead.

D'oh. My apologies. Brain fart. :o

Straight red for Rodrigo, think Sevilla will win this now :D Valencia on top for most of it. he was on for a minute and didnt touch the ball.

Wonder if Banega can play strange he is on the bench. Banega comes on :)

63 seconds playing in La Liga and a red card. That's gotta be some sort of record?

Valencia in big trouble now.
    Thought Sevilla have been better this half. Should have got a second. Valencia will be absolutely kicking themselves though.

Thought Sevilla had a player that got too yellows. :confused: Probably just me though.

Thoroughly deserved draw for Valencia. Sevilla will be absolutely kicking themselves though.

Sake!!!!

Valencia didnt deserve to lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Denis Suarez is a young player who I think will have a very good saeson. Also Munir could start for Barca tomorow if Neymar can't start an exciting talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Real Madrid must be laughing all the way to the bank ,they can smell the stench of desperation off Man Utd.
    60-70m euro for a player they are desperately trying to offload ,who they tried to flog to Spurs last season for 30m ,and who they bought for 25m .

When was the last time Real Madrid made 40m euro on a player ,they nearly always move players on at a loss ,sometimes a huge write down.

Di Maria is a good player but a very streaky temperamental one ,he has had one good season , Utd have lost the plot spunking that sort of money.

Agree that Di Maria is a hot/cold player, and can show both extremes.

However, this is like most players in the world, and on his day he is as good as the best. I don't think Madrid might have won the CL Final last season if it wasn't for him. Most of the other big names (Ronaldo, Bale etc) were having howlers that night, and he was the only one playing well.

Having said that, I have watched games where he has stunk the place out.

Will he suit English football? Remains to be seen. Those December evenings away to Stoke!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

NIMAN wrote: »
    Agree that Di Maria is a hot/cold player, and can show both extremes.

However, this is like most players in the world, and on his day he is as good as the best. I don't think Madrid might have won the CL Final last season if it wasn't for him. Most of the other big names (Ronaldo, Bale etc) were having howlers that night, and he was the only one playing well.

Having said that, I have watched games where he has stunk the place out.

Will he suit English football? Remains to be seen. Those December evenings away to Stoke!!

Its absolutely ridiculous money. Utd are just desperate to even consider paying it.
    Two central defenders and a holding midfielder are essential and they could get Hummels, Blind and Khederia for way less than DiMaria and still retain the bulk of the transfer fund for Strootman in January.

They seem to have no idea how to operate in the transfer market, incredible incompetence from Woodward and Utd....
    They need professionals , not PR and advertising guys.

How many more wingers do Utd need anyway ?

Anybody playing alongside Alonso and Modric in a 3 man midfield last season would have looked good,Alonso and Modric did most of the heavy lifting.

Real seem to be able to get huge money for players they dont want anymore .
    In previous years they would flog players off at huge mark downs ,i.e the Dutch clearout of 2009 .
    They are going to net a profit of almost 80-90m euro on Higuain and Di Maria.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Far more money than I imagine Madrid ever thought they would make for a player, who when signed by Mourinho, was heavily doubted and was thought to only be there because of the Mourinho/Jorge Mendes link. He is a talented player, willing and capable of producing moments of brilliance but I would have put him on the same level as Sanchez, Man Utd are spending significantly beyond that level.

MisterAnarchy bang on, Hummels, Blind and Khederia would be money better spent.

NIMAN wrote: »
    MisterAnarchy bang on, Hummels, Blind and Khederia would be money better spent.

This times 100.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to barca tonight, see how they line out.

I'd try this.
    Bravo
    Alves, Bartra, Mathieu, Alba,
    Busquets, Masch,
    Rakitic,
    Iniesta,
    Messi, Munir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Looking forward to seeing how Eibar get on. Anyone know if they are playing in their own stadium this year? Given it holds just over 5,000 will be interesting to see.

I really hope they don't end up as just cannon fodder for the rest of La Liga.

Looking forward to seeing how Eibar get on. Anyone know if they are playing in their own stadium this year? Given it holds just over 5,000 will be interesting to see.

I really hope they don't end up as just cannon fodder for the rest of La Liga.

If it's not their own stadium it sure has a tiny capacity. Less than 6,000 according to sky commentator guy.

If it's not their own stadium it sure has a tiny capacity. Less than 6,000 according to sky commentator guy.

It is their own stadium. Can be expanded to around 7 or 8k I think.

Don't think they have the money to do that though.

• Advertisement

What a goal by Eibar! What a goal to score as the clubs first in La Liga

On the basis of that half. They're not going to be the whipping boys.

On the basis of that half. They're not going to be the whipping boys.

They will be tough to beat at home at any rate.

The cat takes center stage, couldn't have been more perfectly timed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Who is this Munir chap??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

He impressed in preseason.

Our movement is good so far!

gimmick wrote: »
    Who is this Munir chap??

A very highly rated goalscorer from Barca B, certainly one for the future.

A very highly rated goalscorer from Barca B, certainly one for the future.

Looks like hes one for now. More done than Pedro last season :pac:

Just as I say that he cracks the ball off the post from a very difficult angle, fantastic play from the prodigy.

Jesus after watching the United match earlier, I was just about to give up on football. Messi has points to prove!

• Advertisement
Advertisement