Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Discussion Thread 2014/15 Season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

CSF wrote: »
    Just seen the elbow, Messi has turned into a right nasty little character.
    It's sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I do like how everytime we talk you claim this morale high ground, yet all I see right now is bitter comments. If Ronaldo could produce a complete 45 minutes like that I guarantee I wouldn't be the only "bedwetter" here. If you are so unbiased where is your praise for Messi? Afterall, you and others ask me why I do not praise Ronaldo, so where is your praise for a magnificent half of football that has driven Barcelona to a 2-0 lead against the reigning Spanish champions and a side who have just soundly beaten Real Madrid 2-0. It doesn't even matter, there are far more valuable opinions out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I do like how everytime we talk you claim this morale high ground, yet all I see right now is bitter comments. If Ronaldo could produce a complete 45 minutes like that I guarantee I wouldn't be the only "bedwetter" here. If you are so unbiased where is your praise for Messi? Afterall, you and others ask me why I do not praise Ronaldo, so where is your praise for a magnificent half of football that has driven Barcelona to a 2-0 lead against the reigning Spanish champions and a side who have just soundly beaten Real Madrid 2-0. It doesn't even matter, there are far more valuable opinions out there.
    I didn't call you a bedwetter, why don't you address that to the person who called you it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I am a big fan of Atleti and Simeone, but let's face it. They have hardly been shrinking violets themselves during this match.

They chopped down Messi a couple of times and Neymar as well. Look at his ankle.

What's good for the goose and all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Utterly dominant display from Barca. Can't help but wonder how much of that is a Diego Simeone own goal? Messi has the freedom of the pitch against that Right Back.

Barca's play deserves the 2 goal lead. They don't however deserve that lead and the argument can indeed be made that Messi should have, at the very least - very least!-, have one yellow card, if not two.

I didn't call you a bedwetter, why don't you address that to the person who called you it?

I'm simply responding to previous comments revolving around Ronaldo and my bias, now I ask you about Messi and your bias. In any case if you don't want to answer I don't particularly care. Barcelona's front 3 are functioning like we all imagined that they could and they are running, arguably, the best defense in Europe ragged.

I am a big fan of Atleti and Simeone, but let's face it. They have hardly been shrinking violets themselves during this match.

They chopped down Messi a couple of times and Neymar as well. Look at his ankle ffs.

There was a bad tackle by Gamez for sure. Rough tough tackling a staple of the Simeone's side, no surprise there.

They chopped down Messi a couple of times and Neymar as well. Look at his ankle.

A valid point, I thought that tackle on Neymar was horrific, studs showing into the shin!. However, Messi's handball has irrevocably swung the game in Barca's favour. At 1-0 Atleti were still happy to play containment. Now they've got to force things and that suits Barca down to the ground.

I'm simply responding to previous comments revolving around Ronaldo and my bias, now I ask you about Messi and your bias. In any case if you don't want to answer I don't particularly care. Barcelona's front 3 are functioning like we all imagined that they could and they are running, arguably, the best defense in Europe ragged.
    I would find it difficult to lavish praise on someone who in this 45 minutes has set up one goal with a handball and who should have been sent off after an elbow to the head.

If you ignore all of that, he has played very well, but I can't see why you would ignore that.

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    A cheat! A cheat! A blatent handball and now an elbow to the back of gamez head?

Pfft, not enough exclamation, sensationalism and outrage!

4/10

:pac:

I would find it difficult to lavish praise on someone who in this 45 minutes has set up one goal with a handball and who should have been sent off after an elbow to the head.

If you ignore all of that, he has played very well, but I can't see why you would ignore that.

Odd I don't remember you being so vehemently annoyed last season when Barcelona were denied the title by a poor offside calls against Messi but hey let's just bury our heads in the sand.

Haha if that's a red card we might aswell all just quit now. I'd explain why it obviously isn't a red card but I suspect that , for most, they don't need an explanation.

Odd I don't remember you being so vehemently annoyed last season when Barcelona were denied the title by a poor offside calls against Messi but hey let's just bury our heads in the sand.

Haha if that's a red card we might aswell all just quit now. I'd explain why it obviously isn't a red card but I suspect that , for most, they don't need an explanation.
    I don't think comparing poor officiating decisions with cheating is like for like. But whatever way you want to twist the conversation in to suit an agenda, that is fine.

And red card for sure, led with the elbow to the head. That is a red card all day long.

I don't think comparing poor officiating decisions with cheating is like for like. But whatever way you want to twist the conversation in to suit an agenda, that is fine.

And red card for sure, led with the elbow to the head. That is a red card all day long.

Haha I'd love to know what your method for going past a player is if it involves your arms staying by your side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Either way Barca are handing out a scotching here.

Soft penalty?

Atleti won't mind that though.

• Advertisement

Soft enough peno tbh

Great peno all the same from Mandzukic

Well the ref has gotten the script from the league, you can only laugh really. As utterly ridiculous as it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Soft peno but retribution for the earlier incident i would say ;)

Soft peno but retribution for the earlier incident i would say ;)
    Decisions balanced out now yeah. Still don't see Atleti making their way back into this. They've been 2nd best by a distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Getting naughty now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Shocking ref. Don't know how he missed the handball by Messi earlier and that penalty decision was laughable, he just fell over.

Decisions balanced out now yeah. Still don't see Atleti making their way back into this. They've been 2nd best by a distance.

Aye, atletis midfield is absent, tiago and gabi have been anonymous.

Here comes Torres!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I hope you're not connecting me with that CSF.

My question to you was; you were saying Enrique should be sacked in that Real Sociedad thread, maybe not in so many words but that was the gist of what you were saying. He may not last long in the job - as in for years - but I think you were jumping the gun a bit there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

At least we now know what Messi has to do to get booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Great entertainment!

The likes of Alves and Busquets aren't exactly endearing, but they are entertaining!

This is getting seriously feisty.

There would be reds here in an English game.

Game over. Seriously sloppy defending from Atleti there. Should have got it clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Lovely cross field ball by Suarez to set that goal up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Lovely move but Atletis defending has been pathetic tonight.

No words are needed, he's won the game tonight, he's gotten Barcelona right back into this title race. Messi! Messi! Messi! We all chant together.

Best ive seen barca in a good while with messi looking like his old self. When was the last time atleti conceded 3? Get miranda back in there.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

No words are needed, he's won the game tonight, he's gotten Barcelona right back into this title race. Messi! Messi! Messi! We all chant together.

They were only 1 point off going into this round of games, not exactly getting them back into it.

Bedwetter.

Best ive seen barca in a good while with messi looking like his old self. When was the last time atleti conceded 3? Get miranda back in there.!

Miranda back in and they need a new left back. None of the options they have at the moment are a patch on Filipe Luis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Bedwetter.

Your input to this thread is spectacular this evening

Mushy wrote: »
    They were only 1 point off going into this round of games, not exactly getting them back into it.

1 point but Madrid have a game in hand, a draw tonight and it's 3 points and a game in hand and that could already be too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

No words are needed

Finally

gosplan wrote: »
    Finally

Lots of anger in here tonight. 3 possibilities: people either really hate Barcelona, really like Atletico or really hate me.

For all the criticism they receive two stats are worth noting.

Barcelona have been the only team to beat Valenica at the Mestalla. Barca have kept Atletico contained for multiple set pieces.

Thoroughly deserved win for Barca but two questions need consideration:
    What on earth was Simeone thinking with his right back selection?
    How in the blazing hell did Leo Messi not get sent off, one elbow and one absolutely reckless attempt to win the ball against the goal keeper where he actually extended his leg!?

I suppose one could also ask whether that was the worst high profile la liga refeering performance in quite some time? Dismal stuff from the officials.:confused:

Fudge You wrote: »
    Your input to this thread is spectacular this evening

Aye, can't always have spectacular evenings on these threads I suppose:pac:

I think the point I'd make would be Enrique is hardly for the sack given that Barca are still in the CL and in with a good chance of winning La Liga and still the Copa Del Rey. Some people have suggested that he should be for the sack however, I find that a bit premature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Lots of anger in here tonight. 3 possibilities: people either really hate Barcelona, really like Atletico or really hate me.

Bah, you love it.

You used to drive me mad but now I see the funny side.

Fair play too. You are relentless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

possibilities: people either really hate Barcelona, really like Atletico or really hate me.

Man thats a hard one.

• Advertisement

Credit to Luis Enrique, he set up Barcelona to deal with Atleti very well. Only 3 more league games before a potentially huge home game vs Real. Those 3 really need to be wins or touch will have been lost with the top 2.

Hopefully Torres can have an impact. Would like to see him start vs Granada or Vallecano to relieve the pressure from him with a goal or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

1 point but Madrid have a game in hand, a draw tonight and it's 3 points and a game in hand and that could already be too much.

Very true, but still wouldn't say back into it. Kept them in it maybe, but I'd put that at a push as there is still so long left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Messi blessed that he wasn't sent off tonight.

Johner wrote: »
    Messi blessed that he wasn't sent off tonight.

Gamez could have walked for the challenge on Neymar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I despise Atletico. Possibly one of the hardest teams around to watch. Just a bunch of hatchet men.

All the same, summing up the game is really quite simple.

Enrique outfoxed Simeone by putting Messi on the right. The middle stayed congested and Messi controlled the game.

However, the game was still there for Atletico at 1-0 when Messi Maradona'd to set up the second.

It evened out with the ridiculous penalty decision.

The better team won. Happy for Enrique. Messi will get the plaudits but Enrique deserves his fair share of the credit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement