Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Discussion Thread 2014/15 Season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Luis Suarez is back to his best another great goal for him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Take away his goals today and Messi has been anonymous

There's an excellent assist too from the great man!

It's Suarez, it's Luis Suarez! it's Barcelona!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Barca will surely win everything this season if Messi and Suarez retain this level of form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Take away his goals today and Messi has been anonymous
    Once again Ronaldo doesn't score and is anonymous. Take away his goals and he is non-existent in open play..

Does boards soccer forum have to be like this all the time???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

ollie1 wrote: »
    Luis Suarez is back to his best another great goal for him

So strikers don't decline after leaving Liverpool as posted by few long back.

Barca's attack is something else, hard to stop Messi, Suarez and Neymar (I know he is not playing today) trio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Fudge You wrote: »

It's really horrible man. Agreed.

Barca will surely win everything this season if Messi and Suarez retain this level of form.

I still think Barca might have trouble against a team who can both defend and attack. Bayern, Chelsea and Real in particular.

That Messi/Neymar/Suarez front 3 is insane but Barca always look like conceding goals both home and away which isn't a big deal in the games where they can respond with 4 or 5, but may well be against a better team.

Wouldn't be my pick for the CL. Bayern for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Fudge You wrote: »

The first one was tongue in cheek, the second one was a fair comment for this calendar year. I see no problem with either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

L'prof wrote: »
    As a matter of interest I wonder how many Messi & Ronaldo have scored since the Ballon D'Or? Ronaldo was well ahead at that stage but they must be about level now.

Its kind of funny the way opinion has turned in only a few months since the Ballon D'Or.

At that time most of the media were praising Ronaldo as the best player in the world,and saying he had surpassed Messi ,who was in decline.

Real Madrid were just after coming off a 22 match unbeaten record .
    Enrique was under pressure after the Real Sociedad debacle ,Messi was suspected of revolt and talking about leaving the club.

Now Ronaldo is in a dip ,there is speculation of Perez wanting to sell him ,Real are struggling ,Messi is banging them in and Barca are back in business.

Thats what I dont like about the modern media ,they jump ship too quickly ,they create stories where there are none .
    Speculation is too often reported as fact .
    They build people up just to knock them down.
    Its all extremes ,brilliant one day ,rubbish the next .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's hilarious that when Madrid lose Ronaldo is generally the first to be blamed by some! The logic is nuts

It's no secret that he's not playing anywhere near his usual level at the moment. The whole team is suffering because of it. His attitude is questionable too. He's venting frustration at teammates when really he shouldn't be.

Emphatic win for Barca today. What a lot people don't realise about this current side is how direct they are at times. As they showed against Atletico counter attacking is when they're most lethal.

Park the bus, wait and hit them on them counter but keep at least 5 or 6 players back would be my approach to them. Aside from Neymar who has dipped in form a little. Messi and Suarez can conjure goals from nothing. I don't have any strong favourites for the Champions League. On their day Barca can beat anyone. The injury to Busquests though is going to be key. On form, he is unbelievably good at stifling counters before they can even begin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Real have struggled without Modric, they should have kept Alonso too

They need to beat Barca away to win the league now but I can't see it happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Ronaldo has 39 goals and 15 assists from 37 appearances this season and some label parts of his game as average and rubbish! Cmon ffs. That's Dunphy analysis.

It's hilarious that when Madrid lose Ronaldo is generally the first to be blamed by some! The logic is nuts

When was the last time he dug Real Madrid out of a hole when they needed him in a big game?

When did he last take a big game by the scruff of the neck and dominate it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It isn't though. The proof is on the pitch.

it is and proof sure is on the pitch.

thankfully your rubbish about him is in a minority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

[IMG][/img]Psoy3EH.jpg

MarkY91 wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]Psoy3EH.jpg

Weren't all the Barca fanboys saying stats weren't that important like 2 months ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

CSF wrote: »
    Weren't all the Barca fanboys saying stats weren't that important like 2 months ago?

Yes...

But now it's 2 months later and our "flop" is banging them in :pac:

miralize wrote: »
    Yes...

But now it's 2 months later and our "flop" is banging them in :pac:

Can't we all agree that Suarez, Ronaldo and Messi are all class instead of idiotic gifs trying to make out like one or more of them aren't?

There is a certain breed of Barca fanboy that you just can't have a debate with and unfortunately there are a few of them who post regularly on here.

its nice to see suarez banging in the goals as im a liverpool fan.

i am indeed a barca fanboy :P but i dont be up to much on this thread so i wouldnt know what was said 2 months ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I dont think anyone has said Ronaldo isnt a world class player, that would be just stupid. But his form of late isn't exactly world class.

I think they were saying isolating the goal stats to the exclusion of all other stats doesn't paint a full picture of what is actually happening on the pitch.

• Advertisement

I think they were saying isolating the goal stats to the exclusion of all other stats doesn't paint a full picture of what is actually happening on the pitch.

And now they're doing that anyway, even though 2 months ago they thought it foolish.

Because these people don't do balanced arguments, the correct parameters will be the ones that suit their argument at that particular time.

Not so annoying in a Barca thread, very annoying in a La Liga thread.

miralize wrote: »
    I dont think anyone has said Ronaldo isnt a world class player, that would be just stupid. But his form of late isn't exactly world class.

He was actually referred to as rubbish by one bright spark.

4 of these kind of posters thanked the post.

And now they're doing that anyway, even though 2 months ago they thought it foolish.

Because these people don't do balanced arguments, the correct parameters will be the ones that suit their argument at that particular time.

I think the picture posted is tongue in cheek, mate.

I think the picture posted is tongue in cheek, mate.

Just like the post about Ronaldo being rubbish that you thanked yeah?

Idiotic posts like that ruin threads.

Just like the post about Ronaldo being rubbish that you thanked yeah?

Idiotic posts like that ruin threads.

The post i thanked, as i understood it, said his general play was comparatively rubbish, which it certainly has been since November.

The post i thanked, as i understood it, said his general play was comparatively rubbish, which it certainly has been since November.

No, that's not what it said. 'Rubbish footballer in general' No mention or implication of since November, no mention or implication of comparatively with anything.

But what a surprise, a Barca/Messi fanboy moving the goalposts. Embarassing.

regarding the photo i posted. it was more praising suarez than a dig at ronaldo. sorry if i have angered any ronaldo fanboys lol

MarkY91 wrote: »
    regarding the photo i posted. it was more praising suarez than a dig at ronaldo. sorry if i have angered any ronaldo fanboys lol

Not a Ronaldo fanboy. Prefer Atleti to Real, prefer most teams to Man United.

Would like to be able to post about La Liga without having to deal with everything being a Messi/Ronaldo conversation with no attempts at balanced arguments.

Unfortunately there is no report function for general thread ruining.

No, that's not what it said. 'Rubbish footballer in general' No mention or implication of since November, no mention or implication of comparatively with anything.

But what a surprise, a Barca/Messi fanboy moving the goalposts. Embarassing.
    Take away his goals and he is non-existent in open play. World class goalscorer the same way Gerd Muller was but thats about it, rubbish football player in general

No, i added November because that is beyond dispute. I would argue long before November, even back to his United days when he was better in that regard, but i simply don't fancy the debate.

Comparatively, is obvious and goes without saying. I don't think OP was saying he's as rubbish as the man on the street, or even a championship level player. But i do have a hunch he meant in comparison to other world class players. :pac:

No, i added November because that is beyond dispute. I would argue long before November, even back to his United days when he was better in that regard, but i simply don't fancy the debate.

Comparatively, is obvious and goes without saying. I don't think OP was saying he's as rubbish as the man on the street, or even a championship level player. But i do have a hunch he meant in comparison to other world class players. :pac:

Or alternatively, he was just posting ****e like he always does.

• Advertisement

Or alternatively, he was just posting ****e like he always does.

Beats incessant whining imo.

Beats incessant whining imo.

It does not surprise me that you think this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

It does not surprise me that you think this.

You just gotta ignore it man!

So you looking forward to sitting down and watching Atletico V Valencia later? Should be a good one!

Enjoyed Barca this morning, nice way to start a day with it on early.

symbolic wrote: »
    You just gotta ignore it man!

So you looking forward to sitting down and watching Atletico V Valencia later? Should be a good one!

Enjoyed Barca this morning, nice way to start a day with it on early.
    I am, but depending on how it's gonna be I'm wanting to watch the first half of the MLS game too. Probably a flick between them job.

Arguably Atleti are entering no-mans land. They've no real hope of challenging the top 2 at this point IMO but they're also probably too good to fall out of the CL places. If it doesn't work out in the 2nd leg v Leverkusen I can see form dropping massively for the rest of the season.

I am, but depending on how it's gonna be I'm wanting to watch the first half of the MLS game too. Probably a flick between them job.

Arguably Atleti are entering no-mans land. They've no real hope of challenging the top 2 at this point IMO but they're also probably too good to fall out of the CL places. If it doesn't work out in the 2nd leg v Leverkusen I can see form dropping massively for the rest of the season.

They have every hope of overhauling Real if they win tonight. I think catching Barca is beyond them at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

The first one was tongue in cheek, the second one was a fair comment for this calendar year. I see no problem with either.

I was talking about the tit for tat bullpoo that does be going on.

The second Ronaldo has a poor game, someone has to come on and slag/moan/take the urine out of him.
    And then the same with messi.

If its not messi/ronaldo, its liverpool/utd.

Just pointing out how silly the soccer forum can be. I was arguing the points being made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Arguably Atleti are entering no-mans land. They've no real hope of challenging the top 2 at this point IMO but they're also probably too good to fall out of the CL places.

Yeah I know what you mean, a win tonight though and they are 4 points behind Real. An upset or two and it tightens up a bit before the end, make it an interesting end to the season.

Ok then......

His performances have been better than Ronaldo's in every way.

You've taken a rather high horse for someone who, when we previously debated it, could really only highlight goal stats as an argument for Ronaldo. The same person who is so stubbornly pro Ronaldo that anything approaching a debate devolves into waving stats around. So no, I'm sorry but this high horse will need to find a different stable.

• Advertisement

You've taken a rather high horse for someone who, when we previously debated it, could really only highlight goal stats as an argument for Ronaldo. The same person who is so stubbornly pro Ronaldo that anything approaching a debate devolves into waving stats around. So no, I'm sorry but this high horse will need to find a different stable.

Good one.

Not sure Atleti can get back into it at this stage IMO. If Real screw up it really seems as though Barca are primed to take full advantage.

You just have to look back to the end of last season when Atleti did everything possible to throw the title away in the last few games but Barca were too poor to take advantage. I don't see this Barca giving many chances.

I see nothing less than a fascinating title race between Real and Barca. Good for the football watcher in me, bad for the Atleti lover in me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Whilst I agree with you on the stats debate, Messi is the better player stats or not. I'm not sure you can really make it a point to criticise someone for being 'stubbornly pro' anything with some of your arguments in the past in which 'anything approaching a debate' involves rolling out a set amount of superlatives or something about 'the way football should be played' or other exaggerated language. Not everything has to be word tricks, in the end debate has always suffered from it.

Corholio wrote: »
    Whilst I agree with you on the stats debate, Messi is the better player stats or not. I'm not sure you can really make it a point to criticise someone for being 'stubbornly pro' anything with some of your arguments in the past in which 'anything approaching a debate' involves rolling out a set amount of superlatives or something about 'the way football should be played' or other exaggerated language. Not everything has to be word tricks, in the end debate has always suffered from it.

Are you doubting my status as a master debater? 😜

Good strike from Koke. Important because the game had really gone into a lull. Can see the game playing into Atleti's hands from this point onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Congrats to Barça on winning the league yet again....

snoozefest league...

the_monkey wrote: »
    Congrats to Barça on winning the league yet again....

snoozefest league...
    Can't figure out if you're joking, and if so, what the joke is

• Advertisement

Valencia are being goaded too easily into the physicality. They need to keep their mettle.

Nice finish from koke. Still couldn't tell if it was a handball or not.

Scrappy game. Suits atleti. Theirs to lose now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Barca on top of the league thanks be to fck.

This is a horrible game of football.

Valencia drew. Dour affair tbh. Moya won't sleep easy tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Offensively Valencia were awful. Nothing in the middle going forward, and less than nothing on the flanks. Not much Negredo could do.

I thought Alves, Otamendi, Gaya and Fuego did well. Gomes too did alright when he was brought on.

Terrible game for a neutral I'd imagine, but a great point for Valencia. 3 points taken off Real, and 4 off Atletico this season is pretty impressive. Third place looks very realistic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement