Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Discussion Thread 2014/15 Season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Also Higuain.

Also he said Di Maria had only 1 good season, then I must be watching completely different Di Maria who always recorded around 30 goals + assists every season.

IIRC he was also leading in assists chart last season was in top 3 or 5 2-3 seasons ago.

63 Million is including addons which going by some twitter rumors, 5 Million for winning PL, 5 Million for winning CL twice something like that.

Overpriced for sure but anyone saying we have enough wingers haven't got a clue about ManUtd team. Valencia, Young and Januzaj (who might end up playing #10) are our wing options and none of them have consistent end product.

Sorry to say mate, I like di Maria but in his Real Madrid career he has scored a total of 36 goals, that's in 5 seasons. I still think he is a great addition to Manchester but 80 million? I am not sure about that, considering that Cesc was sold for 28 millions I think they could have got him cheaper.

Btw, 8 games penalty for Simeone for his altercation with the referee, which makes me wonder why Mourinho was only given 1 when he stuck his finger in Tito Villanova's eye?

And how can Cristiano's 3 punches to Godin has been completely ignored by the RFEF as well as the press... doesnt sound fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The Sid's article on Eibar here: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/aug/25/eibar-la-liga-fairytale-introduction

Well worth the read.
    Fans sang together and drank together. They began filling the Plaza Unzaga early, to the sound of drums and chants, surrounded by shop windows with the Eibar shield and scarves and flags. Everyone seemed to be wearing a shirt. The Eskozia la Brava supporters club, whose Scotland flag is painted on the white wall of the ground, set up a barbecue. Fireworks strung across the square exploded and filled the air with smoke. Street performers put on a show. Bars were packed, spilling out onto the square through the arches. Everyone seemed to be wearing shirts; every window seemed to bear a flag. Patxaran was poured. Sitting on one of the terraces, watching it all unfold was Eibar’s new winger, Dani Nieto.

The afternoon wore on and the game got closer. The residents of Indalezio Ojanguren Street headed home, joining the parade that went through the streets, up the stairs and the escalators to the ground. “Imagine if on top of everything else, we actually win ....” they said. Imagine. The debut was about to get even better. “Not even if our wildest fantasies,” ran the headline in El Diario Vasco. Last season, Javi Lara scored against Eibar. Now, with a minute to go before half time, he scored the first goal Eibar had ever scored in the top division, the goal that would give them a first ever victory.

Also Kudos to Paul Reidy.

It's probably a deserved sanction for Simeone, but it's inconsistent Mou's eye incident only got a 1 game ban and no serious matches were actually affected. Assuming the ban applies to regular games. Last time they only applied to Super Copa matches! Did the change the rule since Mourinho's incident? Or something? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bohrio wrote: »
    Sorry to say mate, I like di Maria but in his Real Madrid career he has scored a total of 36 goals, that's in 5 seasons. I still think he is a great addition to Manchester but 80 million? I am not sure about that, considering that Cesc was sold for 28 millions I think they could have got him cheaper.

Btw, 8 games penalty for Simeone for his altercation with the referee, which makes me wonder why Mourinho was only given 1 when he stuck his finger in Tito Villanova's eye?

And how can Cristiano's 3 punches to Godin has been completely ignored by the RFEF as well as the press... doesnt sound fair
    How dare you let facts get in the way of someone's biased argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Liam O wrote: »
    Just on this, your memory must be short if you can't remember the selling Mesut Özil last season for well over €40m.

I said made 40m on a player ,that implies a profit of 40m ,not selling a player for 40m .
    Also Higuain.
    Sold for 40m euro ,I was unaware that Real picked him up for nothing :rolleyes:

The point I was trying to make was that Real seem to have sorted out their selling policy at the club in the last year or 2 and are recouping large amounts on players they deem surplus to requirements .
    In past seasons they were happy to offload players for big writedowns.
    Overpriced for sure but anyone saying we have enough wingers haven't got a clue about ManUtd team. Valencia, Young and Januzaj (who might end up playing #10) are our wing options and none of them have consistent end product.

I am well aware of the wing options at Utd and the fact that Young and Valencia are completely useless.
    Nani has been moved on and Kagawa and Mata were also played wide last season ,as well as Welbeck often on the wing so that is 7 players that have played wide for Utd in the last 6 months,albeit Mata,Kagawa and Wellbeck were played out of position.
    Zaha was also employed as a winger.
    So thats 8 players employed in wide positions ,alot .

The problem is that none of them bar Januzai are all that good on the wing ,with Young and Valencia not even good enough for the meat factory.

Exactly ,Fabregas would have been a far better buy and sort out the black hole that is Central midfield

Ahh Diego's ban isn't so bad. Four game ban for striking referee. Not really a strike but I understand why that rule breach has to carry such a hefty sentence. The rest of his sanctions just apply to future super copa matches. Seems fair, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Turtwig wrote: »
    Ahh Diego's ban isn't so bad. Four game ban for striking referee. Not really a strike but I understand why that rule breach has to carry such a hefty sentence. The rest of his sanctions just apply to future super copa matches. Seems fair, imo.

8 games...4 in the cup and 4 in the liga.. I said it already but Mou only got 1 game for sticking his fingers in Tito's eye.

And Cristiano didnt even get 1 game for punching Godin three times.

I still think is well deserved but punishment should be the same for everyone

Ok it's only Cordoba but Kroos and Modric fap fap fap

Who do Madrid have as cover for Modric?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Ok it's only Cordoba but Kroos and Modric fap fap fap

Who do Madrid have as cover for Modric?

Alonso, Khedira, Illaramendi?

Alonso, Khedira, Illaramendi?

They're not really as attacking orientated though. Modric and possibly now Kroos really make Real tick.

They're not really as attacking orientated though. Modric and possibly now Kroos really make Real tick.

I'm actually somewhat surprised Ancelloti seems to be favouring Kroos, Modric and James. I would've thought at least one of the above 3 would be in the team, for that whole defending thing that teams do sometimes.

I guess it is Cordoba though.

• Advertisement

Well that's that - decent hit from Ronaldo. Certainly not overly impressive from Real tonight, but a win's a win this early in the season.

Well, that was disappointing. Where to start?

Fair play to Rayo, very gutsy performance by them. Came to play, and really troubled Atleti. Constantly hassled and harried when they didn't have the ball and were well set up defensively. They were robbed off 2 points, they were far the better team.

The fact that Atleti had 38% possession to Rayo's 62% speaks volumes. There's serious problems playing with a two main midfield of Gabi and Suarez. There's just not enough creative ability there. Suarez in particular was incredibly poor tonight, lost count how many times he mis-controlled and gave away the ball. Griezmann looked dangerous at times, but didn't get on the ball anywhere near enough. Outside of a couple of moments in the first half, Mandzuckic was very poor (though the service to him was terrible, owing to the impotent midfield). Koke was surprisingly poor. It's early days, but that was worrying.

On a positive note, the defence looked pretty solid again. Miranda in particular was fantastic. How he didn't go to Brazil is mindboggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Bohrio wrote: »

36 goals in 4 seasons, not 5. So that's 9 goals per season and he has around 10-15 assists easily per season so that's around 25 goals + assists per season like I mentioned in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

CSF wrote: »
    How dare you let facts get in the way of someone's biased argument

Facts?

Here are the stats from soccernet.

In his 4 seasons he has scored 38 goals (+ or -2) and 65 assists in all competitions. That's around 103 goals + assists which 26 goals and assists per season. I said he has recorded around 30 goals + assists in every season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

CSF wrote: »
    Nah. Completely different story in the Nou Camp. That game was in Elche, right?

not especially different at the end of last season, Barcelona had just drawn 2-2 at home to Getafe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Benatia going to Bayern for €30m. Why Barca were not in for him before Martinez's injury is very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Rodrigo de Paul banned for four!! games for throwing back an arm and catching Vidal in the face for Valencia against Sevilla.

Ronaldo hardly even being discussed for punching Diego Godin twice in the supercup.

This kind of double-standard that is the norm is Spain is so frustrating.

Xabi Alonso going to Bayern with a salary of 10m euro a year being reported in most papers
    Sid Lowe has said Alonsos salary in Germany will be about €1m less than he was earning at Madrid.
    Alonso has been making €6 million under the contract extension he signed last winter. So, if Lowe's reporting is correct, then Alonso will be making €5 million after taxes in Munich.

Pepe and Ramos will be busy this season with a cm pairing of Modric and Kroos in front of them ,very little protection provided by those two.
    Di Maria also gone ,he did alot of defensive work too,something Rodriguez wont do .

Madrid seem to be repeating their mistakes ,getting rid of vital players to bring in shirt sellers.

Kroos left Bayern because they wouldn't up his salary, anyone know what his salary was?

Also Madrid still have Kdheria - for now.

• Advertisement

Kroos left Bayern because they wouldn't up his salary, anyone know what his salary was?

Also Madrid still have Kdheria - for now.

Kroos was earning €4.5 million a year gross at Bayern.
    They have a skewed wage scale there whereby the newer signed players earn alot more than existing players at the club.
    Real Madrid are paying Kroos a net salary of €5 million (equivalent to approximately €11 million gross in Spain and just over €9 million in Germany) annually.

Ribery is the joint highest earner along with Goetze on 12m euro.
    How Gotze is on that money is ludicrous.

Lahm and Schweinsteiger are on 10m euro ,with Muller and Alcantar on 8m and bizarrely Robben is on 7m :confused:

Here is the full list of Bayern Muncih’s top earners:

Franck Ribéry - €12 million

Mario Götze - €12 million

Philippe Lahm - €10 million

Bastian Schweinsteiger - €10 million

Thomas Müller - €8 million

Thiago Alcântara - €8 million

Manuel Neuer - €8 million

Arjen Robben - €7 million

David Alaba - €7 million

Javi Martínez - €6 million

Jêróme Boateng - €6 million

Daniel van Buyten - €5 million

Mario Mandzukic - €5 million

Rafinha - €5 million

Toni Kroos - €4.5 million

Claudio Pizarro - €4.5 million

Dante - €3.5 million

Holger Badstuber - €3.5 million

Xherdan Shaqiri - €2.5 million

Diego Contento - €2 million

Tom Starke - €1.5 million

Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg - €1 million

Mitchell Weiser - €0.5 million

Julian Green - €0.5 million

Lukas Raeder - €0.4 million

Alessandro Schöpf - €0.2 million

Patrick Weihrauch - €0.2 million

Good little header from Miranda. Atleti 1-0 Eibar.

Mandzukic gets off the mark. Simple enough header after a nice free-kick right onto his head from Gabi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Shocking defending by Eibar. They'll be heading down quickly if they don't deal with those basics.

Cracking goal there from Abraham for Eibar. Good little piece of football leading up to it too.

Another very underwhelming performance from Atleti. Both goals came from pretty poor defending from Eibar, and they didn't really look much like scoring outside of that. There was also a few shaky defensive moments, at least one of which Eibar should have capitalised on.

As I said last week, it's still early days. A win is a win at this point, but both league performances thus far have been concerning. Madrid derby next up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Dani Alves almost certainly rivals Antonio Valencia as the most predictable footballer on earth. Stop crossing the ball!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dani Alves almost certainly rivals Antonio Valencia as the most predictable footballer on earth. Stop crossing the ball!

Haha and as I had a look, he hits a cross straight to the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

You just know Barca are not going to score. Lot of reliance on the little man.

I read somewhere , last week Alves only put in 1 cross, he's more than made up for that this week. The great irony is that Alba,looks more dangerous than him going forward. Anyway, here comes Neymar.

How Villarreal's tactical fouling has yet to be punished by a card is mind-boggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

How Villarreal's tactical fouling has yet to be punished by a card is mind-boggling.

If ye can get away with it..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Dear lord Villareal should have scored there

Goal! Goal Barcelona! They do not compromise, they continue to play, Neymar finds the magical pass, Messi picks out another young hero, last week it was Munir, this week it is Sandro Ramirez. 1-0 at El Madrigal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Ramos!! :D

Has to be said that was an absolutely cracking game of football, Villarreal had chances but Barcelona created a lot, a lot more than they have done playing against a packed defence/low block than they have in quite some time. He missed chances but Neymar's introduction changed the game, his through ball to Messi was the decisive moment of the game, the man is top quality. Messi, nothing more needs to be said and, in Sandro, a superstar striker is born. Hugely encouraging stuff.

Great goal by Bale. 2-0

Sheesh...if Sociedad continue to play like this and lose 4 or 5 here I can't see their manager Arrasate lasting much longer. They've had a terrible start to the season...and he's keeping their top scorer from last season on the bench.

Has to be said that was an absolutely cracking game of football, Villarreal had chances but Barcelona created a lot, a lot more than they have done playing against a packed defence/low block than they have in quite some time. He missed chances but Neymar's introduction changed the game, his through ball to Messi was the decisive moment of the game, the man is top quality. Messi, nothing more needs to be said and, in Sandro, a superstar striker is born. Hugely encouraging stuff.

Given what happened to Bojan, I'd be wary of attaching those titles to Sandro (and Munir) just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That is one very pink jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Looks like cerci is off to atleti

Griezmann--mandzukic--cerci

Cracking front trio, will take a while to gel but if it clicks it will be a very formidible attack

• Advertisement

Level game! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Shocking bench for real it terms of offence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

YUSS!!!

Real Madrid really cannot defend.

Have to hand it to Sociedad, they have never given up in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Looking at madrids midfield its way too attack minded, surely khedira or illarramendi are needed to help the defence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

:)

Oh my!! 4-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

4-2 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Pepe and Sergio Ramos is just a nightmare of a defensive partnership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Good finish

Advertisement