Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Discussion Thread 2014/15 Season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

NIMAN wrote: »
    In recent years they have started to admit that La Liga is technically better, but they still claim the EPL is 'better entertainment'.

Having watched some of both leagues this season I disagree. Compare Barca and MAdrid this season to watching Chelsea grind out the title. City, Utd, Liverpool have all been average enough too.

I often think that a lot of the middle road teams in Spain still try to play football when they met the big teams. OK so often they concede heavily for trying, but you really see Liga teams parking the bus at Nou Camp or the Bernabeu.

I dont really understand this "better entertainment" aspect that they try to promote.

Most of the big clashes in England between the top sides tend to be extremely cagey dour matches.
    Even the pundits on Sky are now admitting this strangely enough.

Most matches involving teams in the bottom half of the table are terrible to watch ,really poor technically and entertainment wise too.

They also like to promote the league as being more competitive ,not really sure if this is a myth too ,its pretty much the same teams winning the league over the last 10 years ,Utd,Chelsea,City.

Is it more entertaining because its more competitive ,I dont see how the two are linked .
    In Spain ,most teams will try to play football ,they will often try to match fire with fire ,even if its often foolhardy ,its just the style of football that these people have grown up playing ,the correct ethos as Niman mentions.
    I mean the Championship is more competitive than La Liga ,does that make it better ?

If Real Madrid and Barcelona were put into the Premier league they would still win it every year ,I have no doubt they would ,and they would win it at a canter.
    There wouldn't be as many hidings for the lower table sides ,primarily because they would all try to park the bus but they would lose nonetheless.
    Then people say Barca/Madrid walk the league. It's funny because often their games have more intensity than most premier league affairs. Barca Valencia, Chelsea utd. Both on the same day. If they were on the same time I'd watch the Spanish match. That's how much my interest in the epl has waned. I'd say right now the top ten in la liga would beat the top ten in the Epl. (Definitely Sevilla, Valencia, Villarreal would all be making claims for a top four epl finish.) Because the bottom sides still play technical football I'd expect the epl sides pragmatism to triumph as they'd be less error prone.

Excellent synopsis Turtwig

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

They also like to promote the league as being more competitive ,not really sure if this is a myth too ,its pretty much the same teams winning the league over the last 10 years ,Utd,Chelsea,City.

Is it more entertaining because its more competitive ,I dont see how the two are linked .
    In Spain ,most teams will try to play football ,they will often try to match fire with fire ,even if its often foolhardy ,its just the style of football that these people have grown up playing ,the correct ethos as Niman mentions.
    I mean the Championship is more competitive than La Liga ,does that make it better ?

I think they mean that Burnley can beat Man City whereas Granada get beaten 9-1 by Madrid. You'll hear the same about Getafe last night no doubt in some circles.

Of course that's an incredibly simplistic and incredibly ignorant view, but it prevails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

One fixture I'd love to see is a fully fit Rayo versus a fully fit Chelsea that park the bus. Any team that plays against the parked bus is conservative for fear of counters. Rayo don't give a sht about those. They're so gung ho that all ten of their players would be pressing inside Chelsea's box. It'd be a fascinating fixture to see how Chelsea cope with the frenzy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Turtwig wrote: »
    One fixture I'd love to see is a fully fit Rayo versus a fully fit Chelsea that park the bus. Any team that plays against the parked bus is conservative for fear of counters. Rayo don't give a sht about those. They're so gung ho that all ten of their players would be pressing inside Chelsea's box. It'd be a fascinating fixture to see how Chelsea cope with the frenzy.
    Doubt you'll ever get to see that as Chelsea would never park the bus against them. They'd turn up and beat them quite easily without any need to take the bus out of the garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

One of the goals of the season from James

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

What a belter from Rodriguez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Both Real and Atletico have denied reports of this transfer ban.

Unlucky by Almeria to be behind. Some goal though.

Atleti, Villareal tonight should be fun. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Looked like a clear own goal that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bitchy Ronaldo was back tonight. Such childish behaviour when he doesn't score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

MD1990 wrote: »
    Bitchy Ronaldo was back tonight. Such childish behaviour when he doesn't score.

For those who haven't seen it, here you go. And you wonder why there might be discontent in the Madrid dressing room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

If Ronaldo was my team mate, I'd kill him the minute we got into the dressing room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

NIMAN wrote: »
    For those who haven't seen it, here you go. And you wonder why there might be discontent in the Madrid dressing room?

looks to be down
    [URL=""]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Shocking behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

the fcuk is going in the Valencia game, goalie should be ashamed of himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

looks to be down
    [URL=""]

And then you have people questioning why some football fans despise this guy?

he's all about padding his stats and to hell with the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Ronaldo is cracking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Cordoba should have been 1 up there I feel. Great chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Great skill by Messi

• Advertisement

The post saves Cordoba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Must win game for Sevilla tonight, level with Valencia atm and they have Eibar tomorrow.

Sadly Ronaldo has around 97 or thereabouts goals against Sevilla.

Messi and them OOT through balls :D

Iniesta to Saurez, Barca 2 up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

And some assist from Don Andres it was too!!

Really looking forward to the Seville Madrid game later too!

This is what rainy days are made for hahaha :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

It took time but Barcelona found a way through. Cordoba have crowded the width of the box but its the genius who thinks outside the box, Messi, who has broken through the wall. His pass is fantastic to Rakitic, his finish definitive.

Iniesta then supplies a similar pass to Suarez and he too finishes. 2-0, you'd imagine game over and ample opportunity to rest players before Bayern Munich on Wednesday.

• Advertisement

3-0 :)

Jaysus Barca are ruthless.

Normally I'd support Sevilla but I really want la liga to go all the way. So Madrid tonight it'll be. However I can't decide who I'd like in fourth. So maybe not Madrid.

Argh! This game is messing my head!

Alves with 2 good crosses :O

4-0

So unlucky for Neymar

• Advertisement

Neymar being good to them

Yep . 5-0 Pique. 3 headers in a row

Stolen from Reddit on Messi
    he's like that ****ty kid in FIFA spamming lob+through ball

:D

6-0 :)

Messi being mean to Neymar.

Have to say I love MSN camaraderie

Messi being mean to Neymar.

Messi gives Neymar the peno :)

Messi letting Neymar take the penalty.

Credit to Enrique,he seems to have eradicated the February slump effecting Barcelona for the last few seasons and got Barcelona peaking at the right time of the season .

I feel sorry for Pep as Bayern are going to get pummeled over the two legs ,Barcelona have too much for them in every area of the pitch .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Credit to Enrique,he seems to have eradicated the February slump effecting Barcelona for the last few seasons and got Barcelona peaking at the right time of the season .

I feel sorry for Pep as Bayern are going to get pummeled over the two legs ,Barcelona have too much for them in every area of the pitch .

Looking a at bayerns team today they are struggling for numbers even, shame they won't go in full strength.

• Advertisement

Isn't Suarez on a hat-trick? Wasn't Messi on one?

They let Neymar take the penalty.

And just a type that Suarez scores

Oh sweet Jesus this could be ten.

8-0 :)

That's his first Barca hat-trick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Fair play to messi giving the peno to neymar. MSN now on 109 goals? I fail to find words to describe that! Especially how messi was having an "average" season up until December and Suarez was being booed and deemed a flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The class of Messi the player is crystal clear every single time we have the pleasure of watching him play.

The class of Messi, the man, couldn't have been more clear than today. You compare his act today with Ronaldo's outrageous petulance and the difference couldn't be more stark.

Messi's grace shone through today in every respect, he doesn't care about the individual awards, it's Barcelona that is top of Messi's priorities.

Huge game for Real now. Lose and they'll not win the league.

Big game needed from Ronaldo. Really needs to step up to the plate tonight.

klose wrote: »
    Looking a at bayerns team today they are struggling for numbers even, shame they won't go in full strength.

Even if they went in at full strength I think Barcelona would turn them over but without Robben and Ribery they have no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Nice header from Ronny.

Why didn't the Sevilla defender head that off the line. Why raise his foot like that? :confused:

That injury cost Sevilla.

Oh Wow 2.

• Advertisement

Nice header from Ronny.

Nice second too.

Stepping up to the plate when needed.

Advertisement