Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Discussion Thread 2014/15 Season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Can't deny Barca were the best team in the league in the end,if Madrid hadn't lost Modric who knows how it would have played out he was really covering the inefficiencies in that team

Ronaldo has probably outperformed Messi again this season but will have nothing to show for it and the Balon D'Or will go back to the Argentinian

Messi can count himself lucky he doesn't play for Madrid

I laughed and then cried a little when I realised that you may actually have been serious. Both extremes of the emotional spectrum covered in one comment, impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ozil, Di Maria and Alonso out for James, Bale and Kroos was poor business. The latter 3 are all hype and not the substance needed to be winning leagues and champions leagues

Ozil is the only one I'd disagree with. The team played better after he left and Modric came into his own, being a better player for Real over 90 minutes, week after week than Ozil was. Not to mention the Champions League win last year. I've never seen where James fits into the team at all, he more than anyone else imbalances the team, not to mention he runs like he has weights strapped to his legs. Kroos with Modric is a different animal but without him he's been disappointing. I feel sorry for Bale because he's a perfect dynamic player for Real with his pace and striking power, but he's severely lacked confidence this season, compared to last. He was blitzing defenders in the 6 months when he joined, there hasn't been as much of that this season. Playing the opposite side to Ronaldo is also another big factor.

Barca deserved winners though, being ruthlessly consistent since the start of the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Ozil, Di Maria and Alonso out for James, Bale and Kroos was poor business. The latter 3 are all hype and not the substance needed to be winning leagues and champions leagues

Whatever about the other 2,you can't have Kroos in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Whatever about the other 2,you can't have Kroos in there.

I think Kroos is vastly overrated, a luxury player. If he was so amazing why did
    Bayern let him go. Anytime I've seen Madrid this season when the pressure is on he looks invisible. Good player, but not in the same class as Xabi Alonso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Can't deny Barca were the best team in the league in the end,if Madrid hadn't lost Modric who knows how it would have played out he was really covering the inefficiencies in that team

Ronaldo has probably outperformed Messi again this season but will have nothing to show for it and the Balon D'Or will go back to the Argentinian

Ye let's ignore everything else and only judge them on the goals they scored. Messi outperforms Ronaldo in nearly every game, even when he's not scoring as much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Yeah Ronaldo never assists, except the one he assisted about an hour ago

Of course he does but not on the scale of Messi

Ye let's ignore everything else and only judge them on the goals they scored. Messi outperforms Ronaldo in nearly every game, even when he's not scoring as much

I was looking forward to his reasoning behind why he thinks Ronaldo outperformed Messi but you're sensible, logical, factual answer has rather halted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Özil and Di Maria haven't exactly shown much form since leaving nor Alonso who is 33....no point shítting the bed about the other 3. Bale scored an important goal this time last year. Kroos was asked to play in a 3 man midfield with two no.10's or a centre back. James well plenty of teams would like to have that headache.
    Best team won the league I doubt you'd find Messi pouting if others stole the headlines. Suarez even took his position this year.
    Actually Bale and Kroos both had the substance to have already won the champions league too just letting you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

judging a player on goals scored is stupid as you'll see from my post I said nothing about goals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I think Kroos is vastly overrated, a luxury player. If he was so amazing why did
    Bayern let him go. Anytime I've seen Madrid this season when the pressure is on he looks invisible. Good player, but not in the same class as Xabi Alonso

Agree with Kroos being vastly overrated .
    One thing I have noticed is that he lacks heart and seems to disappear in the big matches when the chips are down.

He is very poor defensively and cant tackle .
    I've never seen where James fits into the team at all, he more than anyone else imbalances the team, not to mention he runs like he has weights strapped to his legs. Kroos with Modric is a different animal but without him he's been disappointing.

He doesnt fit into the team ,he was an impulse buy by Perez.
    It was either Kroos or James that should have been bought ,and not the other.
    They simply can't play together in the same team .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Do you really think ronaldo has outperformed Messi this season. Like really?

Do you really think ronaldo has outperformed Messi this season. Like really?

Can you distinguish between a team outperforming another team rather than a player outperforming another player? Like really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Can you distinguish between a team outperforming another team rather than a player outperforming another player? Like really?

Then how can you?

You said "Ronaldo has probably outperformed Messi again this season but will have nothing to show for it and the Balon D'Or will go back to the Argentinian"

Changing subject anyway

After posting the numbers for Real in the last 12 years I decided to make a comparison between them both. And since there has been a lot of comparison between Cristiano R and Messi I decided to compare what both teams have achieved since they first joined the Club. Also, Barcelona can still win 2 Titles this year (Champions and Copa del Rey).

2004-2005

Barcelona

7 La Liga
    2 Copas del Rey
    6 Supercopa de España
    3 Champion league
    2 UEFA Supercup
    2 Fifa Club World Cup

Total 22 Titles

Real Madrid

3 La Liga
    2 Copa del Rey
    2 Supercopa de España
    1 Champions League
    1 UEFA Supercup
    1 FIFA Club World Cup

10 titles

Since Messi plays for Barcelona (2004)

7 La Liga
    2 Copas del Rey
    5 Supercopas de Espana
    3 Champions
    2 UEFA Supercup
    2 FIFA Club World Cup

Total 21

Since Cristiano plays for Madrid (2009)

1 La Liga
    2 Copas del Rey
    1 Supercopa
    1 Champions League
    1 UEFA Supercup
    1 FIFA Club World Cup

Total 7

What it seems clear is that Barcelona is no longer the second team in Spain. When I was younger, Barcelona were always the "segundones" as they call it. This is something I never though I would say, as Madrid have always been way ahead of Barcelona and they were always the team to beat, but now things have changed.

It also shows, IMO, how important Messi is for Barcelona and why I think he is so exceptional.

The team that outperformed the other team had the best player in the world this season. I don't know why it hurts you so much to admit that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Lads, Kroos has 3 Bundesliga titles aswell as a Champions League. Not to mention a world cup.

He's a born winner and tbh, he's probably my favourite player in world football.

• Advertisement

judging a player on goals scored is stupid as you'll see from my post I said nothing about goals

Ok, so how exactly was Ronaldo outperforming Messi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Ronaldo's form since Christmas has been patchy at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

So presumably Ancellotti is being sacked as we speak? Who is Perez' next victim? Is it Zidane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ronaldo's form since Christmas has been patchy at best.

But before Christmas he was far ahead of Messi. It's easy to forget that. Messi upped his game phenomenally and will deservedly take the awards but Ronaldo will take the goalscoring award while in an inferior team and still nearly got them up there. Messi has 2 players beside him who are the 3rd and 4th best attackers in the league. Benzema, Bale and James are good but Neymar and Suarez would be up for the Balon d'Or if Messi and Ronaldo didn't exist, unlike the Real lads.

Liam O wrote: »
    But before Christmas he was far ahead of Messi. It's easy to forget that. Messi upped his game phenomenally and will deservedly take the awards but Ronaldo will take the goalscoring award while in an inferior team and still nearly got them up there. Messi has 2 players beside him who are the 3rd and 4th best attackers in the league. Benzema, Bale and James are good but Neymar and Suarez would be up for the Balon d'Or if Messi and Ronaldo didn't exist, unlike the Real lads.

Sorry were we talking about form or goals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

As much as I admire pellegrini the man, city should be in Spain tonight knocking on Ancellotis door. Top top manager and would be ideal for them at the moment.

I'd add Liverpool and United to that but think they are more likely to stick with current management

Actually Messi hasn't upped his speed, he has just gone back to his usual speed.

Messi was not at his best since before the WC, and it took a while to get back in shape

Also I dont understand, when Barcelona wins is because of the great team they have but when Real wins is because of CR? I will say it again, with Real Ronaldo has only won 1 league compared to 7 of Messi's. Before people use to say that Messi was good because of Iniesta and Xavi, now that they are not performing as well and Messi has been moved back a bit he is winning because of Suarez and Neymar...

Reals team is pretty impressive as well, you have Kroos, James, Bale, Benzema, Modric, Isco etc...

If they are not working as well as Barcelonas that's not due to individual quality but lack of connection between them. When Barcelona play they feel like a team, like a family, which doesnt happen in Madrid.

Florentino has spend hundreds of millions (I think around 1200 millions) in buying the Best players in the world so it wasnt for lack of quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Bohrio wrote: »
    Actually Messi hasn't upped his speed, he has just gone back to his usual speed.

Messi was not at his best since before the WC, and it took a while to get back in shape

Reals team is pretty impressive as well, you have Kroos, James, Bale, Benzema, Modric, Isco etc...

If they are not working as well as Barcelonas that's not due to individual quality but lack of connection between them. When Barcelona play they feel like a team, like a family, which doesnt happen in Madrid.

Florentino has spend hundreds of millions (I think around 1200 millions) in buying the Best players in the world so it wasnt for lack of quality.

Not lack of quality. But typical of Florentino's Real teams, lack of balance.

Not lack of quality. But typical of Florentino's Real teams, lack of balance.

True, thats because Flo always buys players out of impulse instead of letting the manager decide, he always buys whoever does best in the WC without even thinking if it would be suitable for his team.

I often think Flo is Culé, Barcelona Fans love him... has brought Madrid to probably his worst moment since 1940ish

It once again just goes to show Ronaldo's shortcomings in most departments outside of goal scoring. Great players should be able to provide vision and and good link up play. If everything is directed at Ronaldo, and he is poor outside of goal scoring, there isn't going to be much happening in the way of cohesive team play in the final third

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Lads, Kroos has 3 Bundesliga titles aswell as a Champions League. Not to mention a world cup.

He's a born winner and tbh, he's probably my favourite player in world football.

He hasn't been much to write home about since the new year, check his assists+goal record here, form dropped off after the new year. http://www.whoscored.com/Players/31772/Fixtures/Toni-Kroos

Now obviously that coincides with modrics injury (vital cog in their team) but kroos still has a bit more to go. Damning indictment for lucas silva and illara that even when kroos has been pretty poor they cant get a look in. Still think kroos best position is higher up the pitch but real are so hell bent on fitting in as many offensive players he gets shunted back further.

Gerrard has a total of zero premier league medals and he'll go down amongst the greatest midfielders in the PL era

Gerrard has a total of zero premier league medals and he'll go down amongst the greatest midfielders in the PL era

Cant argue with that, mostly because I know nothing about the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its pretty obvious that Messi is better than Ronaldo, but why does that have to be a stick to beat Ronaldo? A great player in his own right

It once again just goes to show Ronaldo's shortcomings in most departments outside of goal scoring. Great players should be able to provide vision and and good link up play. If everything is directed at Ronaldo, and he is poor outside of goal scoring, there isn't going to be much happening in the way of cohesive team play in the final third

Poor outside of goal scoring? I swear, half your posts are about how average Ronaldo is. Messi is undoubtedly the better player and will deservedly reap the rewards of that, but if you can't factually see how Ronaldo's game has changed the last few years than your arguing just for the sake of it. He is very different type of player than his seasons with United and his first 1-2 seasons with Real. His performances are certainly not as 'exciting' because of it, and his 90 minute influence on games has waned.

• Advertisement

That's not true ronaldo won the ballon D'Or last year for what he done from jan to may with real. From the world cup to December Messi was better than ronaldo. Barca have kicked on since xmas as suarez has come into his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That's not true ronaldo won the ballon D'Or last year for what he done from jan to may with real. From the world cup to December Messi was better than ronaldo. Barca have kicked on since xmas as suarez has come into his own.

Was it 14 more goals that Ronaldo had at Christmas with Messi and Barca squabbling about how they hadn't been up to scratch? Whereas Real went on one of the best winning runs of all time. Threads on here about Ancellotti being best manager ever and such.

Messi is better than Ronaldo right now, Ronaldo was better the last 2 years and Messi probably had the best period of play anyone has ever had the time from when Ronaldo left United until then. I'm not sure you can call one inferior to the other though. They are the most effective players of the modern era and if there wasn't 2 of them the other's achievements would be even more pronounced. Suarez and Neymar are world class players and Ronaldo has outscored both of them together ffs.

Was it 14 more goals that Ronaldo had at Christmas with Messi and Barca squabbling about how they hadn't been up to scratch? Whereas Real went on one of the best winning runs of all time. Threads on here about Ancellotti being best manager ever and such.

Messi is better than Ronaldo right now, Ronaldo was better the last 2 years and Messi probably had the best period of play anyone has ever had the time from when Ronaldo left United until then. I'm not sure you can call one inferior to the other though. They are the most effective players of the modern era and if there wasn't 2 of them the other's achievements would be even more pronounced. Suarez and Neymar are world class players and Ronaldo has outscored both of them together ffs.

Note how the entire basis of this post is on goals scored. Great goalscorer, but it's been more clear this season than ever that his general play and overall contribution to the team doesn't come close to Messi. As Ronaldo has evolved more and more into a traditional number 9, Messi has further taken on the mantle of being the fulcrum of Barcelona, everything goes through Messi, now more than ever before, this is Messi's Barcelona. Despite all that, he remains a great goalscorer too. Two great goalscorers, but only one truly great player ala Maradona, Pele ect. and history will reflect that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

AdamD wrote: »
    Its pretty obvious that Messi is better than Ronaldo, but why does that have to be a stick to beat Ronaldo? A great player in his own right

Absolutely.

In my eyes, he's right up there with Hugo Sanchez. Sanchez may have won more league titles with Madrid and the Pichichi five times (four in a row), but Ronaldo's definitely in that bracket of great La Liga goalscorers.

The general play line always sounds to my like asking why can't Ronaldo do what Messi does whilst playing for Barcelona with Barcelona players and the answer is simply that Ronaldo doesn't play for Barcelona with Barcelona players.

He has adapted his game massively since he left United and in the past two seasons has made even more changes. He plays far closer to goal now simply because he can't be the creator and trust the likes of Benzema, Isco and Bale when Messi can rely on Suarez, Neymar.

Over the past 8 years Ronaldo has outperformed Messi across a season at least 3 times and probably 4 but has just 1 league title and a champions league in Spain to show for it while Messi has 5 titles and 2 champions leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Ronaldo is all goals. Yet he has 2 assists less in La Liga this year having played 3 less games.
    At times you'd think it was Harry Kane being compared to Messi

The general play line always sounds to my like asking why can't Ronaldo do what Messi does whilst playing for Barcelona with Barcelona players and the answer is simply that Ronaldo doesn't play for Barcelona with Barcelona players.

He has adapted his game massively since he left United and in the past two seasons has made even more changes. He plays far closer to goal now simply because he can't be the creator and trust the likes of Benzema, Isco and Bale when Messi can rely on Suarez, Neymar.

Over the past 8 years Ronaldo has outperformed Messi across a season at least 3 times and probably 4 but has just 1 league title and a champions league in Spain to show for it while Messi has 5 titles and 2 champions leagues.

If Ronaldo could do what Messi can do, do you actually believe that Real Madrid would stop him from doing it? That's such a ridiculous argument to make. When has Ronaldo ever been able to do what Messi does? We've seen Ronaldo practically his entire career, at Man Utd, at Real Madrid, at major tournaments. He's never been Messi or shown the ability to emulate Messi.

His style has continued to change through the years, he's gone from being a flashy, if inconsistent winger capable of going past his marker to slowly going away from that to becoming a goalscoring machine and super athlete. He's never been the central playmaker at Real Madrid and with good reason, he's never shown the ability to create and score all at once. This season his strengths and weaknesses have never been so prominent. Phenomenal goalscoring, but also shortcomings in his overall game and his role in the side has a negative effect on his teammates, Bale looks like a shadow of himself, as have Benzema, Higuain, Di Maria, Ozil, Kaka and others at one time or another. In comparison you look at Suarez and Neymar and they thrive as a trio alongside Messi, they've never been better.

I'm not sure where those numbers are coming from except for possibly goals scored because I assume you are including this season in those numbers and without doubt it's not true and without doubt it's not close. Ronaldo has scored more goals but Messi has driven his side to a 5th La Liga in 7 years, he'll likely, and rightly, win his 5th Balon D'or, he's been the outstanding player in world football this season and that is beyond dispute. Barcelona are on the brink of a treble and a massive chunk of that is down to Messi. He's not some guy piggybacking off of the club's success, he is the main reason why the club is so successful this season.

If Ronaldo could do what Messi can do, do you actually believe that Real Madrid would stop him from doing it? That's such a ridiculous argument to make. When has Ronaldo ever been able to do what Messi does? We've seen Ronaldo practically his entire career, at Man Utd, at Real Madrid, at major tournaments. He's never been Messi or shown the ability to emulate Messi.

His style has continued to change through the years, he's gone from being a flashy, if inconsistent winger capable of going past his marker to slowly going away from that to becoming a goalscoring machine and super athlete. He's never been the central playmaker at Real Madrid and with good reason, he's never shown the ability to create and score all at once. This season his strengths and weaknesses have never been so prominent. Phenomenal goalscoring, but also shortcomings in his overall game and his role in the side has a negative effect on his teammates, Bale looks like a shadow of himself, as have Benzema, Higuain, Di Maria, Ozil, Kaka and others at one time or another. In comparison you look at Suarez and Neymar and they thrive as a trio alongside Messi, they've never been better.

I'm not sure where those numbers are coming from except for possibly goals scored because I assume you are including this season in those numbers and without doubt it's not true and without doubt it's not close. Ronaldo has scored more goals but Messi has driven his side to a 5th La Liga in 7 years, he'll likely, and rightly, win his 5th Balon D'or, he's been the outstanding player in world football this season and that is beyond dispute. Barcelona are on the brink of a treble and a massive chunk of that is down to Messi. He's not some guy piggybacking off of the club's success, he is the main reason why the club is so successful this season.

He created and scored yesterday, as he has done plentiful this season

Also lol at that list of players, kaka? bale? Di Maria and Ozil played their best stuff with Ronaldo, likewise Benzema. Hilarious stuff

Again even though Ronaldo has outperformed Messi multiple seasons he has just one league to show for it. The teams are the main differences between them. I think Messi's performances for Argentina will always be indicative of that, he never showed his Barca form and their fans will always hold that over him rightly or wrongly

He created and scored yesterday, as he has done plentiful this season

Also lol at that list of players, kaka? bale? Di Maria and Ozil played their best stuff with Ronaldo, likewise Benzema. Hilarious stuff

Again even though Ronaldo has outperformed Messi multiple seasons he has just one league to show for it. The teams are the main differences between them. I think Messi's performances for Argentina will always be indicative of that, he never showed his Barca form and their fans will always hold that over him rightly or wrongly

Yes he did, but against the big teams Real Madrid have taken only 4 points this season. In comparison, yesterday at the Vicente Calderon, home of the defending champions, Messi went and won the game, no penalty, no easy goal, Messi produced a moment from nothing and won the league at Atletico, taking 15 points from a possible 18 against the top four.

Bale is a sublime talent who has been insanely marginalised by Ronaldo. Same could have happened to Neymar, if Messi were a different personality. Benzema has been marginalised too, how long has it taken for him to accept second billing behind Ronaldo?

Where are these seasons? What seasons are these? I'd say he has one, arguably two better seasons than Messi, the rest are Messi without doubt. I forgot that time Ronaldo fired Portugal to the final of the World Cup.. lets blast Messi for his international form, even though he won player of the tournament at the last World Cup and lets never mention that Ronaldo plays for Portugal too.

Anyway this debate is ridiculous, Messi wasn't at his best for 18 months, he's back now, he's better than ever and that has coincided with a potential treble, it's not coincidence, it's because he's the greatest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Well said

Although this debate should have been put to bed ages ago, there was a whole thread dedicated to it lol.

Barcelona really really need to get Dani Alves to stay...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Yes he did, but against the big teams Real Madrid have taken only 4 points this season. In comparison, yesterday at the Vicente Calderon, home of the defending champions, Messi went and won the game, no penalty, no easy goal, Messi produced a moment from nothing and won the league at Atletico, taking 15 points from a possible 18 against the top four.

Bale is a sublime talent who has been insanely marginalised by Ronaldo. Same could have happened to Neymar, if Messi were a different personality. Benzema has been marginalised too, how long has it taken for him to accept second billing behind Ronaldo?

Where are these seasons? What seasons are these? I'd say he has one, arguably two better seasons than Messi, the rest are Messi without doubt. I forgot that time Ronaldo fired Portugal to the final of the World Cup.. lets blast Messi for his international form, even though he won player of the tournament at the last World Cup and lets never mention that Ronaldo plays for Portugal too.

Anyway this debate is ridiculous, Messi wasn't at his best for 18 months, he's back now, he's better than ever and that has coincided with a potential treble, it's not coincidence, it's because he's the greatest.

Sanchez was marginalized by having messi as the main player as was Henry when he got to braca this happens when you have players as good as messi and ronaldo.

sky88 wrote: »
    Sanchez was marginalized by having messi as the main player as was Henry when he got to braca this happens when you have players as good as messi and ronaldo.

Sanchez did to an extent purely because of Messi's position but he also really struggled to adapt to the style. I don't agree on Henry, he did pretty well at Barcelona and was nearing the end of his peak, I don't think Messi impacted his run at Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Goal! Barcelona! Its genius, it's magic, it's magisterial. The man who has orchestrated this title charge has just orchestrated the goal that could seal the title. It can only be Lionel Messi, phenomenal play from the world's most phenomenal player.

Wipe of your chin there when you get up of yer knees ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

the_monkey wrote: »
    Wipe of your chin there when you get up of yer knees ...

Put some ointment on your behind when you decide to stop being so butthurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Come on ... the arse lickery of Barca in here is a bit much ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

The greatest of all time can never get enough praise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Pretty much sums up last night and the season for me

Really? The football they've played since the turn of the year has been remarkable, on a different level to anything that any other team has produced this season. They've shown adaptability, they remain an enthralling mesmerizing team in possession and they are now an unstoppable juggernaut on the counter attack, their defensive record dwarfs their rivals. This is the best team in Spain, they confirmed that last night and, imo, this is the best team in Europe and I think they will prove that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Eibar at home to Cordoba will be the game to watch on Saturday. Eibar need a win to stay up. Guess it will be hard to find a stream! Would like to see them hang on. Serious freefall since they were 9th early in the season.

His style has continued to change through the years, he's gone from being a flashy, if inconsistent winger capable of going past his marker to slowly going away from that to becoming a goalscoring machine and super athlete. He's never been the central playmaker at Real Madrid and with good reason, Phenomenal goalscoring, but also shortcomings in his overall game and his role in the side has a negative effect on his teammates, Bale looks like a shadow of himself, as have Benzema, Higuain, Di Maria, Ozil, Kaka and others at one time or another. In comparison you look at Suarez and Neymar and they thrive as a trio alongside Messi, they've never been better.

While I don't argue at all with the fact that Messi is the better player, overall and otherwise, the point about Ronaldo having a negative effect on those players is quite unfair. You compared players who were at Real multiple years to Suarez and Neymar, who have barely been there 2 years, Suarez even less. Neymar didn't have a particulary great year performance wise last season either, and I say that as a fan of his. Bale is the only one I'd agree that he has had a negative effect on, but the other no, if they played poor then they played poor, I don't see how any of the others were consistently affected by Ronaldo. Benzema and Higuain were fighting for the same place, Di Maria was wrongly sold, Ozil, while a terrific player, thrived playing with Ronaldo albeit inconsistent over a full season. Kaka had his injuries which blighted him too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement