Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Discussion Thread 2014/15 Season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

They could have spent all morning on the phone. Both could have their own routines they follow to get focused

Can't really see any "tension" in that clip.

Luis Enrique follows in the footsteps of Lionel Messi by not winning any monthly accolades. Has Messi won a domestic yearly award though? :p Luis Enrique named Spain's Manager of the Season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Kakuta signed for Seville, hopefully a decent signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Guidetti signed for Celta de Vigo for 5 years.

He ll do well there i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rather a sad end for Casillas, and kinda shows up how awful Real Madrid can be as a club.

He has helped them win it all and irrespective of how his form had dipped in recent seasons, that is no way to go from a club that you gave 25yrs to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

NIMAN wrote: »
    Rather a sad end for Casillas, and kinda shows up how awful Real Madrid can be as a club.

He has helped them win it all and irrespective of how his form had dipped in recent seasons, that is no way to go from a club that you gave 25yrs to.

Casillas, best spanish goalkeeper in history, has won 19 team titles including a World Cup, 5 times won the IFFHS Best Goalkeeper award (thats 5 consecutive times), he has played for Real Madrid - Castilla for 25 years, thats out of 113 years of the club history, a true legend, and seeing him leave like this is painful. Alone, with nobody there but him, living the last 2 years a constant abuse and humiliation by the people what he gave his soul for, he is a living football legend and he, as others in Real (such as Guti, Raul, Hierro, etc) left through the back door.

Specially more painful comparing it to the way Xavi left in Barcelona.

Very badly played by the president Florentino, I am not impressed at all...

All I can say is best of luck to you capi, and thanks for all you have given me in the last 20 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

It is particularly poor behaviour from Madrid. There is no loyalty any more (or hasn't been for a long time) and perhaps players are right to jump at the chance to make a bucket load of money as once you are not wanted you are out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Bohrio wrote: »

Very badly played by the president Florentino, I am not impressed at all...

Lets also not forget that it was the Special One who started Casillas's woes at Real as punishment for speaking out against the damage done by Mourinho's "scorched earth" policy intended to destabilise Peps Barcelona.
    The Clasico wars had reached a level of viciousness, stoked by Mourinho, which was patently rupturing harmony in the Spain camp.

Casillas admitted that he felt "isolated" like "the plague" and that he was shocked at how all of a sudden, there was a flood of articles "calling me a traitor or a dressing room leak."

It's worth noting that the only season of Mourinho's reign when Madrid won nothing was the season when Iker was both dropped and then injured. It's also worth noting that when he was given "only" the Copa and Champions League games by Carlo Ancelotti in his first season, Madrid won both the trophies in which Casillas played but lost the league during which he was benched.

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    It is particularly poor behaviour from Madrid. There is no loyalty any more (or hasn't been for a long time) and perhaps players are right to jump at the chance to make a bucket load of money as once you are not wanted you are out the door.

I think Jean Marc Bosman had something to do with that too.
    A player hits a ball properly 2x in a row and he needs a pay rise and contract extension otherwise he threaten to see out his contract and leave for free

That Sterling saga for example would have been a great moment to show some strenght from clubs if no other club would have picked him up. I know, utopia because there is always one that will.

There is no loyalty from any site any more.

Not excusing Real at all, btw. More a general statement.

To be fair to Iker, you could hardly say he showed no loyalty.

Sevilla IN so far:

Ciro Immobile Loan
    Steven N'Zonzi 10m
    Evgen Konoplyanka Free
    Sergio Escudero Free
    Adil Rami 3.5m
    Gael Kakuta 6m
    Michael Krohn-Dehli free

Some decent signings there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

So Sky have surrendered the rights to show La Liga.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3182167/Sky-Sports-surrender-La-Liga-rights-leaving-door-open-pouncing-BT.html

They have now just lost me as a subscriber.

Home of European football? With what the Eredivisie?

It was madness to pay £11 million per Premier League game. And pay Henry 4 million a season. BT are going to run Sky out of business.

Thats actually bad for la Liga, less money for them.

Wonder if Sky did that on purpose to increase the value of the EPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Thats actually bad for la Liga, less money for them.

Wonder if Sky did that on purpose to increase the value of the EPL.

How much money were they getting from Sky?

BT is the much better package now if you're not solely interested in the premier league.

Dunno the amounts but guess im getting BT now.

Now if BT would be so kind to take the Dutch league as well, i am golden.

So much for Sky Sports with their new 'Home of European Football' Sky Sports 5!

BT Sport now have most of the major European Leagues and Sky only have the Dutch Eredivisie!

I will miss Revista and the banter the lads had on it ,it was quite refreshing.
    Hopefully James Richardson will be the new presenter and perhaps Graham Hunter and Guillem Ballague could be poached.

I'll be glad to no longer have to listen to Gerry Armstrong though.
    Seems Jon Champion will be the main commentator,not happy about that ,he is awful.

I see that Richard Keys has congratulated BT on 'stealing' the rights over on Twitter :D

So much for Sky Sports with their new 'Home of European Football' Sky Sports 5!

BT Sport now have most of the major European Leagues and Sky only have the Dutch Eredivisie!

I will miss Revista and the banter the lads had on it ,it was quite refreshing.
    Hopefully James Richardson will be the new presenter and perhaps Graham Hunter and Guillem Ballague could be poached.

I'll be glad to no longer have to listen to Gerry Armstrong though.
    Seems Jon Champion will be the main commentator,not happy about that ,he is awful.

I see that Richard Keys has congratulated BT on 'stealing' the rights over on Twitter :D

Jon Champion on bt now?? Cant stand him!!

It would be great if upc would get the finger out and get bt europe. Going to miss the german supercup tonight because they are not carrying the channel.

Id say with all the european football that bt have now that serie a and stuff will be behind the red button with la liga taking center stage which is crap for ppl on upc with no red button function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sky overpaying for the EPL last season is starting to hit home now, especially the way this bidding happened. Having gone to a second series of bids they pulled out.

I kinda liked Gerry Armstrong, he at least did know things about a lot of the teams. I enjoyed his colour commentary style too to be honest, made games more interesting than they were.

Corholio wrote: »
    Sky overpaying for the EPL last season is starting to hit home now, especially the way this bidding happened. Having gone to a second series of bids they pulled out.

There is still a chance Sky could get the rights as their first round bid was considerably higher than Bt's it would seem.

Perhaps La Liga may do a U Turn and accept Sky's offer ?

Think that all but confirms the end of my sky sports subscription. I like the EPL but in recent years I've preferred la liga more and the fact that they were readjusting their fixtures to start 5.15 would have been brilliant.

CLU5qlqWUAAyzxa.png

Just for comparison ,Telefonica recently won the domestic rights to La Liga in Spain.
    600m euro for one season,which was only marginally higher than the €588 million paid out for last season's domestic rights, although in theory the €600 million for this season will be distributed more evenly between the league's member clubs.

This is just over a quarter of the 2.3bn euro per season that Sky and BT paid out for the domestic EPL rights,a staggering a 70 per cent increase on the current agreement .

Sky have really overstretched themselves by paying silly money .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Premier League, Cricket and Speedway.

Sky are gonna die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

As some one who doesn't have Sky my Setanta sub now becomes even better value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Is this confirmed on BT? Will the La Liga coverage only be shown on BT Europe? How likely is it that UPC pick up this channel? How much will the dreaded red button come into play? A lot of questions but I'm quite nervous about missing a second of La Liga action.

Wouldn't it be great to see $ky fail miserably.

As for BT Sports coverage of football, I seen one of their marketing shots in this link
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3182167/Sky-Sports-surrender-La-Liga-rights-leaving-door-open-pouncing-BT.html
    and couldn't help but notice Ian Wright, Stevie G, Rio Ferdinand and Michael Owen. There's not a person I know involved in sports commentary or analysis harder to listen to that these 4 buffoons.

I actually think $ky were good at La Liga coverage. Pity BT wouldnt go and get Guillem and a few of the others now off $ky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Is this confirmed on BT? Will the La Liga coverage only be shown on BT Europe? How likely is it that UPC pick up this channel? How much will the dreaded red button come into play? A lot of questions but I'm quite nervous about missing a second of La Liga action.
    No more Barca for you anymore :P.

MD1990 wrote: »

I've got BT but the worry is that I've just subscribed to UPC so I'm rather hoping they get the BT Europe channel, I'm assuming they will.

MD1990 wrote: »

Barca are supposedly launching their own streaming service. Whether it'll occur this season or later is anyone's guess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ 2m2 minutes ago

BREAKING: Sky Sports will remain the home of La Liga for another three seasons thanks to a new broadcast agreement announced today.

I'd love to know where those reports of Sky pulling out came from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

BREAKING: Sky Sports will remain the home of La Liga for another three seasons thanks to a new broadcast agreement announced today.

Sky must have been Cool Hand Luke in the negotiations & did a dolly deal with BT caught on the hop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Only around 100 games though, and seems like only the final of the Copa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

zuutroy wrote: »
    Only around 100 games though, and seems like only the final of the Copa.
    Over 100 games . it will be simiar to previous years id imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

They had 196 La Liga games plus about 40 Copa games last year. Hopefully you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

100 games per season is less than 3 live games a week. A season of Barcelona and Real Madrid with an odd game for other teams. That's pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

lertsnim wrote: »
    100 games per season is less than 3 live games a week. A season of Barcelona and Real Madrid with an odd game for other teams. That's pretty poor.
    its over 100:D

Good thing I held off cancelling Sky for a few days :D

• Advertisement

Good thing I held off cancelling Sky for a few days :D

Ditto :)

I went to cancel over it and they gave me HD for free for 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Super Cup in Georgia, you'd have thought a stand-by location in Spain would have made sense!

Seville with first blood.

Peach of a strike by Banega.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Lol beto giving him the entire goal to aim at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Great freekick by Messi. Good match so far I must say :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Why no thread for this? Messi's goal was outstanding. Goal fest tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

IS Owen Hargreaves having a ****ing laugh? 'It's like a penalty these days'. No it's ****ing not, it's two absolutely top drawer free kicks. Jesus Christ. He's as bad as Owen.

Genius! Anything you can do Messi will do better. He does it when it counts, he's done it again, it's Messi, it's 1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

As a Sevilla fan i would say barca will win this handy. Sevilla have been hit hard by a stomach bug. I would say the game at the ramón sanchez at the beginning of october against barca will tell more about Sevillas ability. As usual after this game the premier league heads will be saying only two teams in spain but its not true and this game should be taken as an acccurate account of Sevillas ability.

• Advertisement
Advertisement