Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Discussion Thread 2014/15 Season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

4-1, the band is tuning up for PSG.

The crowd chant his name, applause rings around the Camp Nou for the greatest player in the history of this sport, Lionel Messi has done it again, he's rescued the game, he's put on a display that no other can match. Talk of his demise has been greatly exaggerated, despite what some will have you believe, Messi's only worthy rival is himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

The crowd chant his name, applause rings around the Camp Nou for the greatest player in the history of this sport, Lionel Messi has done it again, he's rescued the game, he's put on a display that no other can match. Talk of his demise has been greatly exaggerated, despite what some will have you believe, Messi's only worthy rival is himself.

Jesus Christ, give it a rest man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

I was playing a match so I just saw the highlights now, wonderful hat-trick by Messi. It's a joy to be able to see the likes of that week in week out, he is class! I really appreciate it too after watching the other La Liga hat-trick yesterday. The dive by Penaldo is so shameful, he doesn't even need to cheat, his volley was lovely and he nearly scored an amazing overhead kick that went just over. He's the Ballon d'Or for feck's sake! But he chooses to dive like that. I can't ignore it, I feel bad for Celta Vigo, they were doing well at nil-all. Not very sporting by Penaldo. It is such a shame. It's depressing.

I think I'll watch Messi's goals again, that usually cheers me up, in fairness, he is on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rezident wrote: »
    I was playing a match so I just saw the highlights now, wonderful hat-trick by Messi. It's a joy to be able to see the likes of that week in week out, he is class! I really appreciate it too after watching the other La Liga hat-trick yesterday. The dive by Penaldo is so shameful, he doesn't even need to cheat, his volley was lovely and he nearly scored an amazing overhead kick that went just over. He's the Ballon d'Or for feck's sake! But he chooses to dive like that. I can't ignore it, I feel bad for Celta Vigo, they were doing well at nil-all. Not very sporting by Penaldo. It is such a shame. It's depressing.

I think I'll watch Messi's goals again, that usually cheers me up, in fairness, he is on his own.
    Sorry to hear your down because of Ronaldo diving:p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

callaway92 wrote: »
    I wouldn't take too much from a win at home to Elche, no matter what the scoreline. Away to Villareal next is somewhat telling.

Losing 4-0 to em at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

klose wrote: »
    Losing 4-0 to em at the moment.

Yup, was afraid for him that something like this could happen. Easy to say in hindsight but Villareal are a pretty decent side. Not much to be said about the Sociedad team at the moment really. .

Montroseee wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, give it a rest man.

Why? Did you catch the game? Over a hundred years of football, you are watching the best player to ever lace a pair of boots at the very peak of his powers, playing in a special team. If anything, my words don't do him justice, not even close. Over a hundred years of football past, and I believe in another hundred years they will still recognize Messi as the greatest, he transcends time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, he's not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Barcelona are playing at 3pm yet again today .:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

**** the UK 3pm kickoff rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Barca have been underwhelming. Anyone got a stream in English?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

FT: Getafe 0 Barca 0

Another slip up for Barca in their pursuit of the European champions and best team in Spain, Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I guess the band didnt tune up today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Atm it's looking like Luis Enrique is not up to the Barcelona job.

Atm it's looking like Luis Enrique is not up to the Barcelona job.

Very harsh, worth remembering how hard Rijkaard found it in his first few months in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

On the face of it I agree the only thing I can say in his defence is that his tenure at Celta started unconvincingly too. It took him a while to meld them together. Perhaps the same may be true of Barca?

Thus far as a member of the jury I'm out.

Decent win by Valencia again. They play Madrid in January, potential banana skins for their winning streak?

Turtwig wrote: »
    On the face of it I agree the only thing I can say in his defence is that his tenure at Celta started unconvincingly too. It took him a while to meld them together. Perhaps the same may be true of Barca?

Thus far as a member of the jury I'm out.

Decent win by Valencia again. They play Madrid in January, potential banana skins for their winning streak?

He's had moments of genius and the squad looks more together now than they have in a couple of years. Though admittedly there's been problems too. That being said I'm still riding the wave of emotion after the victory over PSG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

At the Mestalla, yes.

If the Valencia that smashed Atletico turns up then it will be very difficult for them

• Advertisement

He's had moments of genius and the squad looks more together now than they have in a couple of years. Though admittedly there's been problems too. That being said I'm still riding the wave of emotion after the victory over PSG.

They're blowing hot and cold, even mid matches. I'm not sure he knows what hi best set up is or what style they should be striving for. Everything is at times utterly incoherent and predictable.

That said, when they click they look brilliant.

miralize wrote: »
    **** the UK 3pm kickoff rules.
    Seriously pisses me off. :mad:

Can't really see a point in keeping a subscription to Sky Sports after the current seasons ends. Champions League, Rugby, Premier League all diluted.

I really hate BT Sport. :pac:

Very harsh, worth remembering how hard Rijkaard found it in his first few months in charge.

Barcelona were bloody woeful today .
    They failed to create one decent scoring opportunity in the whole match in open play.
    If they had been playing all night they still wouldnt score.

I miss Al Jazeera on 13e ,it was very handy for the Spanish league and 3pm matches and it cost peanuts.
    Bloody EPL and their greed .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

1-0 to Moyes in the Basque derby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Some stat

B45d7apIAAAhZtR.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

RasTa wrote: »
    Some stat

B45d7apIAAAhZtR.jpg

That's the thing about Real that drives me mad, they sell players that were star players for them (Di Maria) and break up great teams to buy big marquee signings that totally mess up the whole team spirit. The rumours that they want to offload Bale is crazy to me, seen as Ronaldo, Benezma and Bale are the best strike force in world football. They look unbeatable right now, best team in the world for me. Bayern are the only team that come close. Everyone else are in the shade.

• Advertisement

Tonight you've seen a small glimpse into the future and the future is Rafinha Alcantara, the future is Sergi Samper, the future is Adama Traore. 15 minutes is all the underage Spanish international needed to create havoc for Huesca and give the world a taster of what's to come, Traore is very special, a can't fail talent, there's no telling how good he could become.

There's players at Barcelona B who would be good enough to start for clubs the quality of Liverpool, Arsenal or Everton(Samper and Traore being the most obvious) but Barcelona have decided to keep these players in the system. At Barcelona, the future is bright, the future for their rivals is terrifying.

Em Huesca (sp?) would make Burnley look awesome.

Em Huesca (sp?) would make Burnley look awesome.

It could be Huesca, it could be Real Madrid, it doesn't matter, there's absolutely no denying the talent and potential of this crop of Barcelona players. I have absolutely no doubt that the Catalan club are onto a winner with these lads, how could they not be? Rafinha and Samper are the archetypal Barcelona players. Rafinha has been at Barcelona since the age of 13, Samper has been there since the age of 6(!) and it shows in both of them, their touch, their passing, their decision-making, the angles they create, the freedom which they express within the confines of the Barcelona system, these are obvious La Masia standouts. Then there's Adama Traore, he's been at Barcelona since he was 8 and it shows in his play but he is different, Adama is all raging pace and power combined with the technical excellence such a long spell in La Masia will bring, he's got everything to be a superstar, imo, he's a can't miss prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Lovely goal by Messi to wrap up that win.

Lovely goal by Messi to wrap up that win.

Another 3pm kick off.:(
    Its becoming a joke at this stage

Is the Real Madrid match on tv later on ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Doesnt seem to be unless you have one of these stations

http://liveonsat.com/LJS_FT_int_FIFA_WCC.php

Actually its live on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/user/goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Another 3pm kick off.:(
    Its becoming a joke at this stage

It's live on Goal.com the bought the rights to it when no tv station in the UK did.

http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/7621/club-world-cup/2014/12/20/7222362/watch-real-madrid-v-san-lorenzo-in-the-club-world-cup-final-live-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Moyes denied 3 points with a last minute penalty for Levante. Super penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah it was a great penalty. Don't think any keeper was stopping that

Big 5-0 win for Barcelona yesterday with Suarez getting off the mark in La Liga, Messi scoring twice with his right foot (the second including a quite sumptuous touch), Pedro continuing on his path to rehabilitation, Montoya getting a start and Rakitic proving that, given the freedom to go forward more, his delivery can be devastating, it only took him a little over a minute to show that yesterday. Another hugely enjoyable tiki taka display.

Messi ends the year with 58 goals for club and country. His 15 Liga goals this season have come via 7 with his left foot, 7 with his RIGHT foot(!) and 1 header. Another great year for the greatest ever.

Messi ends the year with 58 goals for club and country. His 15 Liga goals this season have come via 7 with his left foot, 7 with his RIGHT foot(!) and 1 header. Another great year for the greatest ever.

58 goals in a calendar year :eek: ,and they say he is in a slump :D

58 goals in a calendar year :eek: ,and they say he is in a slump :D

I think any Barcelona fan would admit that last season wasn't his best, upset by injury, Tata Martino's woeful deployment of him and his teammates and seemingly a bit distracted (perhaps by the World Cup or becoming a father for the first time, or both) I doubt deaths to significant people in his life helped either. However, despite that, to finish with 58 goals in a year is outstanding, if you were to leave aside penalties, he finished with 3 more goals than Ronaldo this year I believe.

He's come back this season and he is back to his peak form, a genuine genius in his field, someone you should go out of your way to watch play each time he steps onto a football pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I think any Barcelona fan would admit that last season wasn't his best, upset by injury, Tata Martino's woeful deployment of him and his teammates and seemingly a bit distracted (perhaps by the World Cup or becoming a father for the first time, or both) I doubt deaths to significant people in his life helped either. However, despite that, to finish with 58 goals in a year is outstanding, if you were to leave aside penalties, he finished with 3 more goals than Ronaldo this year I believe.

He's come back this season and he is back to his peak form, a genuine genius in his field, someone you should go out of your way to watch play each time he steps onto a football pitch.

I can usually put up with the hyperbolic rants that you create, but Tata Martino was not to blame for Messi's form. Martino did a fine job & was undermined at every turn by the club & from the wrong doings that the board made, along with everything that happened surrounding Tito. Messi was struggling & coming back from being injured, it wasnt down to Martino's "woeful deployment"...

miralize wrote: »
    I can usually put up with the hyperbolic rants that you create, but Tata Martino was not to blame for Messi's form. Martino did a fine job & was undermined at every turn by the club & from the wrong doings that the board made, along with everything that happened surrounding Tito. Messi was struggling & coming back from being injured, it wasnt down to Martino's "woeful deployment"...

I don't agree, overall I found Martino shambolic. Messi basically ended up playing as a real number 9, which isn't ever how Messi should be used. It was crazy stuff, Messi needs space to work in, he drops deep, he gets on the ball, he brings players with him, and then, only when the moment is right, he arrives in a position to finish off a move, that is Messi, that has been Messi since Guardiola first famously used him in that position (on a permanent basis) in the Clasico. Martino stripped that away. Add in those bloody diagonal passes, the aimless crossing, the directionless defending and seemingly his desire to rob Barcelona of all things that make Barcelona special, he was disastrous, the Douglas of managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

2nd half hat trick for griezmann tonight against athletic who are a bit tragic this season to say the least. Simeone playing him up front is a great positional change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I said about a year ago(maybe more) whoever got Greizmann was getting a class act.

I'm a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

In fairness Griezmann has been a bit of a let down for Atletico this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I think he's taken a bit of time to fit in.

Bear in mind, he came from Real Sociedad where he was the big fish in a small pond. He's gone to a much bigger side, with an established midfield and he's had to work his way into the team, something he never had to do at Real where he was always a certain starter. Then there's also the massive price tag Atleti paid for him.

It's only natural that it's taken him a while to settle down but I think it's beginning to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

That was a terrible match Sevilla won 1-0

2-2 after 35 in the 2nd game great game of **** defending :D

12 minutes into their first game of 2015 and Real Madrid get a penalty. You can only laugh really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

12 minutes into their first game of 2015 and Real Madrid get a penalty. You can only laugh really.

Should it have been?

CSF wrote: »
    Should it have been?

Not a chance. Flick on from the front post, Negredo's arm is down by his side, not in an unnatural position. It's a common enough occurrence and rarely punished. I don't have the stat handy but the difference between penalties awarded to Real Madrid over Barcelona is startling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

No offence to Ronnie as he can only score what comes his way but it seems every game he plays he tends to score a penalty.

Advertisement