Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Switch

Options
  • 23-08-2014 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

My immersion switch packed in - the physical switch broke and won't go up or down. So, I got replacement switched and wired it up exactly as the old switch. However, now, when I switch it on the small LED on the front indicates power but neither the bath or sink element heat. If I put a phase tester on the back I get live from the live IN but not on any other connection (sink or bath). Apart from the obvious "Call a sparks" (which I will do on Monday) does anyone have any tips to what I might test? Is there anything else on these switches that need to be done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

there should be a little black reset button on the immersion directly on top of the tank it could be that ( use a pen or something to push it in)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

mphalo1 wrote: »
    there should be a little black reset button on the immersion directly on top of the tank it could be that ( use a pen or something to push it in)

Thanks. There is a small covered area that was secured. I opened it and I can see the wires connecting to the top of the cyclinder. I can't see any switch or hole to reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I suspect you haven't wired your switch correctly, post a pic of your old switch and new one

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Depending on the type of immersion switch you got you may need to link out two contacts ie. Load side of on/off switch and supply to bath sink switch. I'd recommend getting a sparks either way.

I suspect you haven't wired your switch correctly, post a pic of your old switch and new one

Here you go, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

azzeretti wrote: »
    Here you go, thanks.

Looks like your missing the live link I mentioned

Doodoo wrote: »
    Looks like your missing the live link I mentioned

Damn. Can you point out where? I thought I had all the cables wired exactly!!

EDIT: The yellow one on the old switch is the black one on the new. Seems hardwired to power the LED?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

EDIT: The yellow one on the old switch is the black one on the new. Seems hardwired to power the LED?

Call an expert! If you can't figure out a simple live link then you have no buisness at it as you could injure your self or others!!

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Call an expert! If you can't figure out a simple live link then you have no buisness at it as you could injure your self or others!!

No worries. I will get someone in on Monday. Just thought it was odd that both switches are wired up exactly the same. Mad thing is that I put in the original one too!
    Cheers for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

No worries. I will get someone in on Monday. Just thought it was odd that both switches are wired up exactly the same. Mad thing is that I put in the original one too!
    Cheers for the replies.

There is nothing strange at all about it. They are totally different switches. They shouldn't be wired the same (as you found out)

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There is nothing strange at all about it. They are totally different switches. They shouldn't be wired the same (as you found out)

If he had put a dead short across the element and blown it he'd have known all about it haven too get the immersion element replaced,

Mad thing is that I put in the original one too!
    Cheers for the replies.

Thats probably why it burned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Between the two empty terminals.

Best getting it properly looked at though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

MrMac84 wrote: »
    If he had put a dead short across the element and blown it

How does someone manage that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OP please take this comment in the correct light, you need to get a qualified electrician to look at this for you and everyone else in your building.

Stoner wrote: »
    OP please take this comment in the correct light, you need to get a qualified electrician to look at this for you and everyone else in your building.

Yep, I realised that. I've switched off the live feed to the immersion switch I'll let a pro look at it on Monday. No point taking any chances!

Advertisement