Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which car seat option for a 7yr old.

Options
  • 23-08-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭

Just looking for opinions please?

My nearly 7yr old son uses the britax evolva 1/2/3 car seat.
    It's a fantastic car seat he has had it since he was 2 and is currently using it a a High backed booster (without harness)

So according to the rsa website from 7 he only needs a booster.

Do people generally abide by this?

I thought high backed booster could be used until a lot older.?
    Britax website says booster only is suitable after 6.

So to stay high backed booster or just go to the booster only?

Space is not an issue we have only the 2 kids and I drive a skoda octavia.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Going my height and weight is more accurate then age .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Thanks , He is above the height and weight levels from what I can see.

I can't figure out if it is wrong to keep him in high back booster. Surely it can't be wrong? Just because he is legal to be in booster only this does not make him incorrect to be in high back booster?

I'M sorry if I'm not explaining this correctly .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thanks moonbeam
    I was reading that very page earlier. All it tells me is that weight range is from 9-36kg or 9months-12yrs. It does not state when to change from high back to booster only. I'm pretty sure I know where my hard copy of manual is I'll seek it out once kids are in bed.

If any one wishes to share what they do once kids reach 7 or so that would be great.
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Lisha wrote: »
    Thanks , He is above the height and weight levels from what I can see.

I can't figure out if it is wrong to keep him in high back booster. Surely it can't be wrong? Just because he is legal to be in booster only this does not make him incorrect to be in high back booster?

I'M sorry if I'm not explaining this correctly .

It's not wrong. The law about the booster seat is a minimum (meaning at least a booster seat!) keep him in the high back for as long as you possibly can. My daughter was in hers until 11!
    It's much much safer than a booster alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I was looking this up recently and saw the video attached to this article. It have a good demo of booster vs seat with a back. As far as I know you can use the ones with the back right up to 12 but couldn't swear on that

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1288165/Safety-warnings-childrens-car-booster-seats.html

Britax probably encourage moving to a booster because it's another sale for them and more money to be made. Is he above the 36kg for the evolva?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

It's not wrong. The law about the booster seat is a minimum (meaning at least a booster seat!) keep him in the high back for as long as you possibly can. My daughter was in hers until 11!
    It's much much safer than a booster alone.
    My 8 year old is still in a high back booster too.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I think I'll keep him in the high back for as long as I can :)

Advertisement