Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring for home alarm system

Options
  • 23-08-2014 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi my house is currently being constructed and is being wired for an alarm system. I have been researching alarm system and like the sound of the hkc system due to the ability to control it from my phone. I have also been reading about the ability to control the lighting and heating system from the app. My main question is what do I need to do now cabling wise to allow me to integrate the heating and lighting with the alarm system in the future. The electrician is running the cables now so I if it's just a matter of adding some extra cables I can get him to do that now rather than trying to do it after.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You're going to need to dig very deep into your pockets. It'd be best to get someone to design something for your home and a relevant home automation system.

It will all depend on the areas you want to control and how much you want to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 vodkatime

If it's going to cost a fortune it's probably not worth it. I thought it might be just a case of adding some extra modules. It would be nice to turn on the heating before I got home but I suppose it's just a gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You can buy automated switches and sockets that you can switch from your phone the sockets switches have a wifi receiver built into them but to be honest a timer is considerably cheaper.

A lad I work with got the above I think it worked out about 100 per socket.

For a home automation system you'd be looking at thousands and almost as much if not more wiring than it took to rewire your house.

An automated alarm may not be too expensive I'm not sure on prices but I'd imagine it would be some form of receiver a text or dialer although unless you've CCTV it's really only a gimmick, sign up to a monitoring centre and get a digi dialer put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Run some alarm core to the location of the heat controls from the area the main panel will be.
    also run some cable to the switch for your externals lights. Youll be able to control them from the app and theyll all flash together or come on steady for alarm events. (Depending on what way you want)
    Same goes for your gates if you plan on automating them run some cable from the alarm panel and you can have them open in the event of a fire alarm. Youll also be able to use the HKC fob to open and close your gates aswell as arm disarm the panel. So less remotes to carry around.
    All youll need are some relays which cost a max of €20.

Run some alarm core to the location of the heat controls from the area the main panel will be.
    also run some cable to the switch for your externals lights. Youll be able to control them from the app and theyll all flash together or come on steady for alarm events. (Depending on what way you want)
    Same goes for your gates if you plan on automating them run some cable from the alarm panel and you can have them open in the event of a fire alarm. Youll also be able to use the HKC fob to open and close your gates aswell as arm disarm the panel. So less remotes to carry around.

• Advertisement

Advertisement