Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people always say don't trust doctors?

Options
  • 23-08-2014 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

They always say, "the stories I hear about doctors" and shake their heads disapprovingly.

Am I the only one who puts their blind trust in doctors and is this a big mistake?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I have not trusted doctors for many years.... pumping you with antibiotics and anti-depressants, that is their answer to simple ailments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

CamperMan wrote: »
    I have not trusted doctors for many years.... pumping you with antibiotics and anti-depressants, that is their answer to simple ailments

Seriously sweeping statement that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Third3ye

Im not a huge fan of doctors myself. Partly because I hate pills and medication. The other part is the 50 quid I have to pay for a 5 min consultation. Wrap up warm and well to eliminate colds and flu. Excercise well to avoid muscular aches/strains and pains, and stick to a good balanced diet. Anything apart from that , then the doctor is your only man. Prevention is the best cure I always say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They always say, "the stories I hear about doctors" and shake their heads disapprovingly.

Am I the only one who puts their blind trust in doctors and is this a big mistake?

Doctors aren't perfect but some of the alternatives these people peddle are monumentally stupid. If you use WebMD to diagnose yourself then you deserve whatever you get.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Doctors aren't perfect but some of the alternatives these people peddle are monumentally stupid. If you use WebMD to diagnose yourself then you deserve whatever you get.

Especially those clowns flogging colloidal silver. Whack job nutcases.

Like all professions, there are good and bad practitioners. Find a good doctor - there are a great many out there who refuse to just hand over scripts for antibiotics these days.

What all of this has to do with survivalism and self-sufficiency I don't know though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Especially those clowns flogging colloidal silver. Whack job nutcases.

Like all professions, there are good and bad practitioners. Find a good doctor - there are a great many out there who refuse to just hand over scripts for antibiotics these days.

What all of this has to do with survivalism and self-sufficiency I don't know though.

I thought this was an After Hours thread until just now! You're bang on the money though. Current system has a flaw so let's jump to the wackiest, most ludicrous alternative. I just don't get it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

I thought this was an After Hours thread until just now! You're bang on the money though. Current system has a flaw so let's jump to the wackiest, most ludicrous alternative. I just don't get it.

Sick people are consumers. As long as some of those consumers are idiots, there will be suppliers who will take their money and give them what they want.

Some people are just too stupid. Regulation and control is not a solution, eventual extinction could be.

Sick people are consumers. As long as some of those consumers are idiots, there will be suppliers who will take their money and give them what they want.

Some people are just too stupid. Regulation and control is not a solution, eventual extinction could be.

There's more to it than that. I can't say too much more but trust me, we need a lot more regulation and control if anything along with actual sanctions. If I were running things, twaddle like homeopathy would be banned with the peddlers being publicly flogged.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Find a doctor you trust. Simple as that. Some docs are more then happy to peddle what ever is trendy, some docs will do what ever you ask them to, antibiotics, antidepressants....... A good doc will talk to you, ask you questions and explain what they think and what they think you should do. Every profession has its snake oil salesmen, the medical and mental health profession more then normal but trust your gut, get advice from friends and go with someone you trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

This is a true story, because it happened to our son, this is no friend of friend story.

When he was 1 to 2 years old he developed this terrible cough. When he went to sleep, he would cough so much sometimes he would puke. Sometimes didn't happen for an hour after he went to sleep. It was pretty awful to see your kid in agony like that. Went to the doctors.
    she said he had asthma. Now to be fair my sister had asthma and those inhalers saver her life. So it would make sense wouldn't it?

So our son gets the ventolin inhaler and that godawful plastic pipe thing because a 2 year old can't inhale that type of medication. So you put the plastic pipe to his face and time his breathing to sync the inhaler blast. We were told to increase the dose until he stopped coughing. My wife was very upset that his whole life was going to be like that. Now my sister is all natural this and that, hate it to be honest, actually despise would be a better word. I trust medicine. What she said is he was having a reaction in his diet to something acidic (oranges etc) and it was reacting to the milk he drank. Sounded like total bs to me.

My wife's sister said also she had an issue with acid when she was young. By acid I mean oranges, lemons etc.

So as a desperate measure we tried it. We change his diet. That night he had virtually no coughing. Gone completely 24 hours later. What was it? Turns out we gave him his breakfast porridge made on fresh squeezed orange juice. That mixed with a day of his food and milk was what caused it. To prove it we put him back on the orange/porridge mixture. 12 hours later the cough returns.

So what the point of this story. I'm not saying medical inhalers are to be replaced by giving up oranges. As I said my sister (the same sister with the theory) was saved by ventolin inhalers. What I am saying is for any group either medical or natural to say they have all the answers is patently false. The world is filled with people telling you they have all the answers. They don't. Ban this ban that only my way or the high way is exactly the wrong way of going.

Now to be honest, both my wife and myself are ardent libertarians. So for all you ban people I have one thing to say, please stop. The world is filled with people telling everyone else what they can and can't do. How about we try this for a while...mind your own business. Do we need regulations on medicine, no we don't IMHO. Do we need someone saying only this way or that way, no we don't. Before you charge in with the argument that is perfectly summarised by 'think about the children' I say how about for once you look after yours and we will look after ours.

So finally to the original question. Here's the answer, question everything. I am alive because of modern medicine, so is my wife, so to the holistic people I say, mind your own business, to the modern medicine people I say, mind your own business. Let's all just for once adopt the simple practice of letting people be adults and stop treating them like children. If you want to go holistic ala Steve Jobs with cancer, go for it, and I wish you the very best. Your life, your choice. If you have total faith in modern medicine well I would say you are mistaken, but it's your life and your choice and I wish you the very best. Modern medicine is simply stunning, look at the avg life expectancy, but for them to say they have all the answers is simply not true. For those who think vaccines are some corporate plot, I would say, are you totally ****ing insane, but I respect your choice for your kids and I wish you the very best. Choose but choose wisely.

You were born with the gift of choice, use it. Again just my opinion, yours may differ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Personally I am wary of anyone that wears a long white coat and insists on calling them by their professional title.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Xantia wrote: »
    Personally I am wary of anyone that wears a long white coat and insists on calling them by their professional title.

have you ever even been to a gp?

Well the OP question is 'Why do people always say don't trust doctors?'

If a plumber donned a white coat and asked you to call him 'Plumber' then you would think he had a screw loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Xantia wrote: »
    Well the OP question is 'Why do people always say don't trust doctors?'

If a plumber donned a white coat and asked you to call him 'Plumber' then you would think he had a screw loose.

If I was going to have someone root around inside me I'd prefer them to be wearing a white coat rather than a fella wearing an overalls holding a monkey wrench.

In reply to the OP the reason people say don't trust doctors is because they are idiots.
    They are willing to dismiss all the good that has been done by modern medicine. These same people will be the first to run to a doctor if something urgent happened to them. I'd ask all these people to stop taking headache tablets, antacids, blood pressure tabs, insulin injections etc as these were all created by the mad man in a white coat.
    There are good and bad people in every profession be that doctors, plumbers, teachers, mechanics the lists goes on but to tar them all with the one brush is idiotic. The trouble with humans in general is when we have a good experience we don't tend to broadcast it because it's how we expected it to happen but when we have a bad experience we love to bitch and moan to anyone that'll listen to us. Hence why people love the internet and these forums.

That's my two cents anyway if you don't agree feel free to bitch and moan it's your HUMAN RIGHT as an Internet forum user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

hexosan wrote: »
    If I was going to have someone root around inside me I'd prefer them to be wearing a white coat rather than a fella wearing an overalls holding a monkey wrench.

In reply to the OP the reason people say don't trust doctors is because they are idiots.

+1

Let the stupid continue avoiding doctors till they die out, survival of the fittest is good for a species.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

A doctor once told me the medication he was prescribing me had no side effects. The packet of the drug came with a long list of many known side effects.

Doctors are human and make mistakes too.
    However they are elevated by society to a high level.

I was told in one doctor's surgery not to visit him unless I was just giving a urine sample for some reason as that was all he was capable of, yet in the same surgery a doctor there had her name in the 'honor roll' at the local university hospital. Unfortunately she moved away after getting married.

It seems to be that you have to 'shop around' to find a good doctor.
    In my opinion a good doctor will not try out drugs on you that he has been given as samples and will try to resolve any issues you have by non drug means first.

Another doctor (years ago) with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth told me to go and 'have a few pints' and that would cure my problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Iopu wrote: »
    A doctor once told me the medication he was prescribing me had no side effects. The packet of the drug came with a long list of many known side effects.

Get a different doctor.

If your mechanic told you your car could run on water would you

A) stay bring your car to him
    B) never use a mechanic again
    or
    C) get a better mechanic.

???????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Doctors are just people doing a job. If you consider any line of work there are people who are good at their jobs and people who are not. There are people who are dedicated and highly motivated, and people who are distracted and just going through the motions.

There is no reason that the same would not apply to doctors. As such, it is understandable that people would be wary of putting complete trust in a stranger when it comes to something as critical as their health.

All doctors are not equal, just as all car mechanics are not equal. A lot of people don't seem to think of it like this though - as an example I had a friend with persistent illnesses where their GP did nothing to diagnose it properly or resolve the issue, just prescribing codeine over and over.

After a couple of years of this I said to her "You know you really ought to see another doctor". Somehow, this had never even occurred to her.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Have to agree with Hexosan.

I would have been like the people the OP described. My last "doctor" told me to rub cream on my knee because i was complaining of pain. Turns out it was a tumor, and told my sister she had a Cyst when she was actually three months pregnant. The distrust extends to other medical professionals (Dentists), but as said i changed my doctor and dentist, and my faith has been partially restored.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Have to agree with Hexosan.

I would have been like the people the OP described. My last "doctor" told me to rub cream on my knee because i was complaining of pain. Turns out it was a tumor, and told my sister she had a Cyst when she was actually three months pregnant. The distrust extends to other medical professionals (Dentists), but as said i changed my doctor and dentist, and my faith has been partially restored.

You couldn't possibly diagnose a tumor in a GP surgery. That said, he should have referred you for a biopsy or drawn some blood for biomarker analysis. I'm not a physician so I don't know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You couldn't possibly diagnose a tumor in a GP surgery. That said, he should have referred you for a biopsy or drawn some blood for biomarker analysis. I'm not a physician so I don't know.
    I wouldn't expect him to be able to, but in 5 years he done none off this. I thought it was just wear and tear, it's his job to check.

Went to new Doctor, and first thing he done was send me for tests. Within 4 weeks he knew what the other "Doctor" did not bother his arse to check. Same with my sister. She went elsewhere and the first thing they done was ask was she pregnant. Done a test and 6 months later the "Cyst" was born.

A personal opinion about some GPs is they are so used to mundane, everyday ailments that they fail to recognise the serious or unusual ones that come along.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement