Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for opinions on this CCTV

Options
  • 23-08-2014 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a CCTV for added security for the house.

I'm new to all of this so a little unsure as to what exactly I should be looking for.

I've come across this and it seems to tick most boxes;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storage-Options-53509-Weatherproof-Detection/dp/B005TOZQDI

Outdoor / weatherproof
    Footage can be accessed online
    Motion triggered etc..

Does this look like a good buy?

I'm unsure as to how the recording feature works on this item - I presume I will need to hook it up to an external hard-drive or similar for storage?

If anyone has any experience with with brand or model camera, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

No no no no no. :D
    Are you looking to have it professionaly installed ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Oh dear, why, what's wrong with it? See, I clearly have no clue! :s

I have a friend who said they'll be able to hook it up for me, so no, I won't be having it professionally installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I think you might get more benefit for your €169 if you go out on the lash.

Guys, would ye mind telling me why this is such a bad buy as I have this camera reserved in a local bricks and mortar shop and was planning on picking it up later on today? Where am I going wrong? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

Im not in favour of those ball and screw type brackets, especially for outdoors. It wouldn't take much effort to pull that off the wall or stand up to much resistance if someone gave it a nudge with a stick. Without any tools required I could unscrew the body of the camera away from the bracket.

As for the specifications of the camera, there's not much info on the type of lens or resolution given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

It's just not good quality Moyglish. You'd be much better off investing in a separate recorder and camera.

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.

I'm completely new to all of this.

Lyncher, with regards to the ball and screw brackets, I completely agree with you, however we're planning on installing the camera inside the house facing out the window onto the front door and drive way. We had a previous camera set up in this way with no issues before, so that's what we're planning on doing again so there shouldn't be any issue with it being easily removed due to it not being installed outside.

Appreciate your advise!

RE the lens etc..

Here's the full specs

http://www.storageoptions.com/products/ip-cameras/outdoor/outdoor-ip-camera

Image Sensor 1/4” Color CMOS Sensor
    Display Resolution 640*480 Pixels(300k Pixels)
    Lens f: 6mm F:2.4 (IR Lens)
    Minimum Illumination 0.5Lux

Image Compression MJPEG
    Image Frame Rate 15fps(VGA),30fps(QVGA)
    Resolution 640 x 480(VGA), 320 x 240(QVGA)
    Flip Mirror Images Vertical / Horizontal
    Light Frequency 50Hz, 60Hz or Outdoor
    Video Parameters Brightness, Contrast

Thanks for the help fred funk, I don't suppose you'd be able to make any recommendations would you?

Also to note, the camera I was inquiring about as above is on offer for €70, so if anyone could recommend any system superior to this in or around that price range, then please do let me know. :)

Is the above really such a bad buy at €70?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

You will get a terrible picture at night when the IR comes on as it will reflect back off the glass on your window.
    Even if you mount that camera outside, I will give that bracket 2 years and it will fail from rust.

Advertisement