Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inertia sensors on Siemens system - lack of sensitivity?

Options
  • 23-08-2014 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello All,

I've wired up a 5300 Siemens system using PIR's & also inertia sensors. My issue is that inertia sensors seem very insensitive, i.e. to even get a pulse registered requires a very significant force & I doubt smashing a window register a gross event!

The setup I've used:
    • The inertia sensors are HKC brand, Dual EOl (4k7) with reed sensors on the windows/ doors
    • I've set the zones as alarm, analysed & experimented with various settings of gross & pulse (4 & all the way to 0)
    • Set as Dual EOL 4k7
    • Double knock is not selected
    Testing I've carried out:
    • Testing of MC, tampers & inertia sensors with a meter on each zone, open with any tamper open, 4k7 all closed & 9k4 with a MC open/ inertia sensor tested.
    • Checked the Siemens 'Test/zone' & it shows 4k4 all closed. I Disconnected an inertia sensor (& closed the tamper switch) & view an 8K8 reading. (an inaccuracy on the panel??)
    Am I missing something obvious??

Thanks,

Leo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭leo738

Following the above I tried:

Changing the setup to no EOL
    Wiring directly to the inertia sensor (i.e. skipping the reed/ MC)
    Changing from the 'slim line' unidirectional HKC sensor to the traditional directional type inertia sensor.

The only improvement I noticed was changing the sensor type. The traditional barrel type inertia sensor seems to yield slightly greater sensitivity. Is this normal?

Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

How exactly are you testing the shocks?

Fred,

Basically with my hand! It's taken a alot of thumps to get any response from the sensors.

I've tested other alarms I've installed (& looked online at other people checking their alarms) & all I've only ever needed before was light taps. The doors & windows are particularly heavy & thick. Could this have a dampening effect on vibrations?

Leo

Well for starters, generally shocks need more vibration than you think to trigger the alarm. Certainly if the windows are very sturdy that would have an effect on the sensors.

I would set the Pulse and gross to three and test the zone via test-zone monitor- zone number.

I would also change the default setting in the test menu of the internal sounder so you can hear when the zone trips.

I would also test with a blunt object like the handle of a screw driver.

Fred,

Thanks. I've set gross to 1 & pulse to 2. It gives a slightly more responsive system.

I've also set the alarm & then tried triggering it. It still seems quite unresponsive however.

Regards,

Leo

• Advertisement

leo738 wrote: »
    Fred,

Thanks. I've set gross to 1 & pulse to 2. It gives a slightly more responsive system.

I've also set the alarm & then tried triggering it. It still seems quite unresponsive however.

Regards,

Leo

Leo.

I wouldn't recommend having them that low. You will be plaqued with false alarms.

Pulse counts the small taps and the gross is one single attack reading so you're asking for trouble with those settings.

Your expectation of how sensitive they should be might not be what they are designed to be.

Remember, they're designed to detect forced entry which will create a fair bit of vibration.

Fred,

Thanks. I'll adjust the pulse up to 3 but leave the gross where it is.

Regards,

Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

leo738 wrote: »
    Fred,

Basically with my hand! It's taken a alot of thumps to get any response from the sensors.

I've tested other alarms I've installed (& looked online at other people checking their alarms) & all I've only ever needed before was light taps. The doors & windows are particularly heavy & thick. Could this have a dampening effect on vibrations?

Leo

Hi Leo,
    Do you have a PSA Licence?

Advertisement