Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it self defeatist to say that some men are meant to be alone??‏

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Wibbs wrote: »
    IE tall goodlooking or attractive enough men are more likely to gather confidence and social status to them than short not so attractive men.

I don't think the height is as important though. I know a few stunning looking tall women who are going out with short guys, but they'd be good looking from the neck up and are sound blokes too.

Strangely enough I find a lot of the shorter women to be more fussy about the height thing. Any women I've been with were about the same height as me or slightly taller.

Granted I've been told I have gorgeous green eyes so maybe the shorter women just don't notice them as much. :cool: Instead they get a great view of my nostrils which are nowhere near as attractive.

Piliger wrote: »
    And yes sometimes it was a complete bit¢h. They do exist. But they are few and far between imho.

You'll see a lot of those bitches in nightclubs though. Usually young ones who think they are gods gift. A lot of this is down to the drinking culture too. A few of the women I work with are sound when sober but can turn into right divas with a few drinks in them. I've seen them been horrible to guys on a night out.

The problem is a lot of guys will judge women based solely on their experiences on nights out, whereas if they were to meet them in a non alcohol fuelled environment it could be so much different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    You'll see a lot of those bitches in nightclubs though. Usually young ones who think they are gods gift. A lot of this is down to the drinking culture too. A few of the women I work with are sound when sober but can turn into right divas with a few drinks in them. I've seen them been horrible to guys on a night out.

The problem is a lot of guys will judge women based solely on their experiences on nights out, whereas if they were to meet them in a non alcohol fuelled environment it could be so much different.

A lot of them have no female friends. The myth of the 'nice guy' who is every girls friend is just that a myth. Most guys who have no success with women actually have few if any female friends.

A club or pub environment is not for every guy. But for some men they never come across women any other way. It's hard to imagine but it's true.

I actually think that's why some Irish guys think foreign women are the biz...they drink less. Come across an Irish girl who is not much of a drinker it's a different game. I am not saying there are not some women who permanently have a sour puss on them. But it's not representative of women at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

drumswan wrote: »
    I dont know a single overweight unattractive person who pulls "stunners".

People who let themselves go like that seldom have the confidence to be such a personality that they can overcome human biology in the opposite sex. You really are exaggerating now. Or else you have very different standards in what you consider "stunning" attractiveness.

There is probably someone for almost everyone out there and people lose their looks eventually anyway, but lets not pretend that anyone can hook up with anyone at will, this is real life not dreamland where everyone is special.

Check out the Matching Hypothesis, which suggests that people are more likely to form successful relationships with and express liking for people whose level of physical attractiveness roughly equals their own.

I've known a few people who've proven that they're consistently able to pull including one chap who once tried to argue biology with me using sci-fi as the backdrop of his argument. Another fella I know is a bodybuilder and definitively qualifies as being attractive. He's had a fair few one-night stands with various stunners and yet has only been in relationships with women "below his league" for want of a better phrase. The matching hypothesis makes no sense because attractiveness is subjective, not objective.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Another fella I know is a bodybuilder and definitively qualifies as being attractive. He's had a fair few one-night stands with various stunners and yet has only been in relationships with women "below his league" for want of a better phrase.

He is an asshole ..mystery solved.
    with me using sci-fi as the backdrop of his argument.

Love this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Bafucin wrote: »
    He is an asshole ..mystery solved.

Why is he an asshole?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Why is he an asshole?

I'm guessing.

I'm guessing.

That's a bit petty to be honest.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I've known a few people who've proven that they're consistently able to pull including one chap who once tried to argue biology with me using sci-fi as the backdrop of his argument. Another fella I know is a bodybuilder and definitively qualifies as being attractive. He's had a fair few one-night stands with various stunners and yet has only been in relationships with women "below his league" for want of a better phrase. The matching hypothesis makes no sense because attractiveness is subjective, not objective.
    I agree. This myth of a matching hypothesis is just some psychologists path to a PhD.

And the point of this is also being lost by the knee jerk reactions above. The point is NOT that ANY obese person can pull ANY stunning woman. Is that not clear ?

The point is that confidence and personality and humour are what really matter. The poster who talks about the night club scene is spot on. When your only interaction with the opposite sex is a fleeting glance ..... then only a numbskull can think that looks won't count for 99%. Duh ?
    And when someone's only definition of success and happiness is 'pulling', then they are on the wrong track from the beginning.

A woman has already posted here about beautiful women having desperate trouble finding partners. Some men continuously have a problem grasping this. It's hardly surprising is it ? She is burdened, yes burdened, by the power to pull any and every man who has the balls to approach her. But where does that lead ? it leads to thousands of empty hours with partners who they are completely incompatible with.

We all have strengths and weaknesses. We need to play to our strengths. If we are not the most attractive person we must then look at our lives and ask ourselves what we are doing to play to our strengths ? Are we meeting people in quality social situations ? Where we get a chance to SHOW our personality and confidence and humour ? If the answer is no .... then we need to consult the definition of insanity ... "repeating the same actions expecting a different outcome"
    But no ... some people are too dogged and their light bulb too dim to see this. So they keep banging away at the closed door and then retreat to bitterness and blame.

That's a bit petty to be honest.

It's not an emotive conclusion but a logical one.

He pulls stunners for one nighters. Is fit. The issue is not looks.

He pulls below average for longer term relationships.

Why?

Well perhaps these women who were below average really were amazing in other ways ...but there are beautiful women who are smart kind etc.

I guessed if he was good looking he has other issues. It could be lack of confidence or he is not the nicest person in the world.

It could be he sees something in women who are below average or looks are not important to him. But there are gorgeous women who are kind smart etc. I think if you go for stunners for one nighters then thats obviously what you are psychically into.

And I agree what I consider stunning is not a universal marker for beauty.

But you are into what you are into.

Generally we all have a type.

• Advertisement

Great post, P. Nobody saying that looks don't matter. Unless a one-night stand is what you're after, then the novelty of having a Georgia Salpa will wear off and wear off quickly at that. I wouldn't want a relationship with someone I didn't fancy but at the same time if all she's into is the X-Factor and nights out against my cinema trips and sci-fi novels then it probably won't last too long.

H. H. Asquith

I agree. This myth of a matching hypothesis is just some psychologists path to a PhD.

And the point of this is also being lost by the knee jerk reactions above. The point is NOT that ANY obese person can pull ANY stunning woman. Is that not clear ?

The point is that confidence and personality and humour are what really matter. The poster who talks about the night club scene is spot on. When your only interaction with the opposite sex is a fleeting glance ..... then only a numbskull can think that looks won't count for 99%. Duh ?
    And when someone's only definition of success and happiness is 'pulling', then they are on the wrong track from the beginning.

A woman has already posted here about beautiful women having desperate trouble finding partners. Some men continuously have a problem grasping this. It's hardly surprising is it ? She is burdened, yes burdened, by the power to pull any and every man who has the balls to approach her. But where does that lead ? it leads to thousands of empty hours with partners who they are completely incompatible with.

We all have strengths and weaknesses. We need to play to our strengths. If we are not the most attractive person we must then look at our lives and ask ourselves what we are doing to play to our strengths ? Are we meeting people in quality social situations ? Where we get a chance to SHOW our personality and confidence and humour ? If the answer is no .... then we need to consult the definition of insanity ... "repeating the same actions expecting a different outcome"
    But no ... some people are too dogged and their light bulb too dim to see this. So they keep banging away at the closed door and then retreat to bitterness and blame.

I agree with this.

It's a package. Looks humour personality etc...different parts of the package matter differently to people.

It's not an emotive conclusion but a logical one.

He pulls stunners for one nighters. Is fit. The issue is not looks.

He pulls below average for longer term relationships.

Why?

Well perhaps these women who were below average really were amazing in other ways ...but there are beautiful women who are smart kind etc.

I guessed if he was good looking he has other issues. It could be lack of confidence or he is not the nicest person in the world.

It could be he sees something in women who are below average or looks are not important to him. But there are gorgeous women who are kind smart etc. I think if you go for stunners for one nighters then thats obviously what you are psychically into.

And I agree what I consider stunning is not a universal marker for beauty.

But you are into what you are into.

Generally we all have a type.

You've not stated how you reached a "logical conclusion". This chap is something of a friend of mine and if I had to guess then the girls he dated beyond the initial one night made him laugh or they had some other connection. I don't know. We were never terribly close so I never asked.

H. H. Asquith

A lot of them have no female friends. The myth of the 'nice guy' who is every girls friend is just that a myth. Most guys who have no success with women actually have few if any female friends.

A club or pub environment is not for every guy. But for some men they never come across women any other way. It's hard to imagine but it's true.

I actually think that's why some Irish guys think foreign women are the biz...they drink less. Come across an Irish girl who is not much of a drinker it's a different game. I am not saying there are not some women who permanently have a sour puss on them. But it's not representative of women at all.

Probably, although I would argue it may be easier for some guys to meet foreign women because they're more approachable outside of the pub/club scene. That's what I've found from my own experience, although I was never a big drinker myself and I've worked with a lot of foreign women over the years which didn't do any harm as far as my dating options were concerned, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I completely agree with your first 2 sentences, especially the second. If the only way you're meeting women is in bars and clubs and a lot of them are bitches then it is going to taint your outlook and its very easy to get into a negative mindset. I'm guilty of doing this myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

random1337 wrote: »
    This picture says it all really at the attitudes in this thread. I'm just going to assume OP isn't good looking.
    https: //www .tickld.com/cdn_image_content/12054.jpg

Lol you guys realise the media LIES to men telling them that personality/confidence is what attracts women? Or that you will eventually find your soul-mate in your 30s? (i.e. once your future wife is tired of getting pumped and dumped by studs and needs to settle down). It gives sub-par men HOPE and keeps them going. So they keep working and paying taxes to keep the elite RICH.
    Women are the CHOOSERS, dont believe anything they say about how they dont care about looks; its all they care about. It's biology. Men want to spread their seed as much as they can so they will fukk anything, lower their standards when drunk etc. FEMALES can only have limited amount of offspring so they need the mate with the best GENES. So in their 20s all they want is that 6foot+ handsome asshole to ravage them. Once they hit 30 they need that guy who they ignored in their 20s to support them because he is making bank and can financially and emotionally support her and her kids. These types of women (70%) cheat on their husbands because they are not attracted to them.

From my POV you couldn't be more wrong. I've been with sub par looking guys who have a strong persona and rejected guys who are good looking but have the personalty of a shoe. Personality is extremely important for a proper relationship. A lot of girls I know have gone out with typically unattractive guys with big personalities. I find it hard to believe that's how you see the world tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

From my own observation I find that attraction is quite objective. When out with friends I can basically predict their chances of success based on their appearance relative to the woman they are pursuing (obviously, confidence and perceived status are factors here also). I know a lot of lads who would consider themselves to be dating up in terms of looks (because they like the girl) but in reality they're about on par. It's certainly a topic that a lot of people have very "dreamland" opinions on, perhaps due to it's emotive nature. As for the anecdotes about exceptions to this (usually involving some seriously overweight man continuously "pulling stunners"), well, they are just that - anecdotes and exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

random1337 wrote: »
    All I see when I go out is the good looking guys with a girl at their side by the end of the night. Myself and many others are left 'chatting' outside the chipper waiting for taxi cabs. But in my local area I see unattractive men married in their 30s but they are some of the most miserable/depressed looking people I've ever seen. Probably settled for the first and only women who gave them the time of day. They've been denied a life of pleasure and fun because of their GENES. And girls dont have this problem - any ugly girl can go to a club and there will always be some sap horny enough to bang her.

Also pulling on a night out is a different story altogether than guys that you actually know and would go long term with. Anyhoo I'll say no more on this, distraction from OP's situation. Sorry OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

My last two jobs have been in mixed sex environments - before that I always worked in jobs that had no women there. What I have noticed since I've been in those jobs is that some of the women will sometimes give me a kind glance or a friendly hello, or even one of those sneaky looks you catch out of the side of your eye. The sort of genuine stuff that women in bars and clubs will be less likely to do. These are women I pass, not actually work with intimately.

Guys who are decent socially and who are reasonably good looking should in theory have a certain degree of success in bars and clubs but it sometimes doesn't happen for one reason or another. There must be a reason of course, but sometimes there's no real obvious reason. I know some men talk to a large amount of women before they hit it off with someone, but even that is no guarantee.

So here's a question I'm going to pose: Do you think there really are some men out there who are reasonable/decent looking and who have reasonable social skills, and who talk to a few women each time they're out, but still can't quite get 'over the line' most of the time? Because if you think it's that easy come out a few times with me. I get noticed, but for various reasons not much ever comes of it. You guys are welcome to assess me. It's not as black and white as some of you very cynical men are making it out to be.

I can apparently get laid and have relationships whenever I want, according to some people, yet it hasn't been that simple in reality.

Macavity. wrote: »
    From my own observation I find that attraction is quite objective. When out with friends I can basically predict their chances of success based on their appearance relative to the woman they are pursuing (obviously, confidence and perceived status are factors here also). I know a lot of lads who would consider themselves to be dating up in terms of looks (because they like the girl) but in reality they're about on par. It's certainly a topic that a lot of people have very "dreamland" opinions on, perhaps due to it's emotive nature. As for the anecdotes about exceptions to this (usually involving some seriously overweight man continuously "pulling stunners"), well, they are just that - anecdotes and exceptions.

I find I can predict a guys chances based on how I rate five things. In no particular order. Appearance, wit, intelligence, confidence, how he treats others. By the last one I don't mean sucking up. I mean how someone clicks with other people. Does he have a chip on his shoulder is he arrogant or the opposite is he too lacking in confidence?

Men get women based on who they are. You get a woman based on you. And how you behave toward her.

Attractive smart confident sound people are a head of the game. But everyone is an individual and has some uniqueness. I would not dismiss the objectivity of some attractions but nor would I dismiss every other anecdote either.

Pug160 wrote: »
    My last two jobs have been in mixed sex environments - before that I always worked in jobs that had no women there. What I have noticed since I've been in those jobs is that some of the women will sometimes give me a kind glance or a friendly hello, or even one of those sneaky looks you catch out of the side of your eye. The sort of genuine stuff that women in bars and clubs will be less likely to do. These are women I pass, not actually work with intimately.

Guys who are decent socially and who are reasonably good looking should in theory have a certain degree of success in bars and clubs but it sometimes doesn't happen for one reason or another. There must be a reason of course, but sometimes there's no real obvious reason. I know some men talk to a large amount of women before they hit it off with someone, but even that is no guarantee.

So here's a question I'm going to pose: Do you think there really are some men out there who are reasonable/decent looking and who have reasonable social skills, and who talk to a few women each time they're out, but still can't quite get 'over the line' most of the time? Because if you think it's that easy come out a few times with me. I get noticed, but for various reasons not much ever comes of it. You guys are welcome to assess me. It's not as black and white as some of you very cynical men are making it out to be.

I can apparently get laid and have relationships whenever I want, according to some people, yet it hasn't been that simple in reality.

Do you have a few close female friends?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

People who let themselves go like that seldom have the confidence to be such a personality that they can overcome human biology in the opposite sex. You really are exaggerating now. Or else you have very different standards in what you consider "stunning" attractiveness.

There is probably someone for almost everyone out there and people lose their looks eventually anyway, but lets not pretend that anyone can hook up with anyone at will, this is real life not dreamland where everyone is special.

Check out the Matching Hypothesis, which suggests that people are more likely to form successful relationships with and express liking for people whose level of physical attractiveness roughly equals their own.

What about Maia Doherty and that morbidly obese comedian so?

So here's a question I'm going to pose: Do you think there really are some men out there who are reasonable/decent looking and who have reasonable social skills, and who talk to a few women each time they're out, but still can't quite get 'over the line' most of the time?

Absolutely, and it could be just down to bad luck. A person can do everything right and have no obvious flaws but it still doesn't work out. When it comes to bars/clubs and online dating too I suppose, its a bit of a lottery. It's one thing to find someone who might find you attractive but its not easy finding someone you're compatible with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Do you have a few close female friends?

No. It hasn't happened yet unfortunately. Some guys do perfectly fine without any but I think having a couple of female friends would definitely help in some ways.
    Absolutely, and it could be just down to bad luck. A person can do everything right and have no obvious flaws but it still doesn't work out. When it comes to bars/clubs and online dating too I suppose, its a bit of a lottery. It's one thing to find someone who might find you attractive but its not easy finding someone you're compatible with.

I guess there is always some sort of reason, even if it's a seemingly small one. It can end up making you overthink things, which isn't healthy. Is it the harsh accent. Am I not assertive enough. Is there something a bit serial killer-ish about me, blah blah blah. OK, maybe not the last one...but you get the point. My friends have been telling me that I've improved to the stage where they can't actually see any obvious faults. It's all there except for the results at the moment. I got a ton of respect for going to London on my own. I guess even a lot of so called ladies men can't say they can do that, eh.

The OP should aim for that too. Very liberating and satisfying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

*mind dump*
    I'd say the same in the majority of cases. Though I have known overweight men and women(especially women) who objectively date "up". I think women can for a few reasons. 1) it is a sellers market to some degree and 2) quite a number of men actually prefer women who are heavier than the cultural ideal. That can vary from culture to culture too. I would say that Irish men are (contrary to popular) much less fixated on women's weight than say Latins, or some Eastern European cultures. I've personally seen this at work. A friend of an ex an Italian lass who was considered "heavy" by male Italian standards who rarely(and I mean rarely) got a look in back home was getting lots of interest in Ireland. She could barely believe it.
    Or else you have very different standards in what you consider "stunning" attractiveness.
    Well there is that too. I've certainly seen pretty average women(and men) being described as "stunning" who were like I say objectively average. Sometimes it means; "not heavy, dresses well, not ugly. Blonde helps". Often it can mean "We've never really been around very good looking men and women and have only seen them as weird creatures in magazines and on billboards". They don't have that much to compare to as it were.
    Study after study has borne this one out. It usually involves taking a group of long term couples where they take a picture of each separately and get strangers to anonymously rate them in looks. And what is found in the majority of cases is that a "5" is with another "5" and a "9" is with a "9". You get 5's with 6's of course, but a 3 with a 9 is very rare. When it happens it's nearly always down to the men involved being wealthy or otherwise of a social standing that makes up the difference. People also tend to favour those with a similar social and educational background. The one area they look for difference in is immune system response(through smell and taste apparently).
    I don't think the height is as important though. I know a few stunning looking tall women who are going out with short guys, but they'd be good looking from the neck up and are sound blokes too.
    Height in men is a biggie. Again plenty of research bears this out. Sure short lads aren't out of the loop, but if you took a guy of a certain attractiveness, but he's 5 feet 4, add 6 inches and he'll get more attention.
    While I would agree that a shítload of such stuff is more akin to bro science that particular one seems to have legs more than it doesn't and exceptions prove the rule kinda thing.
    The poster who talks about the night club scene is spot on. When your only interaction with the opposite sex is a fleeting glance ..... then only a numbskull can think that looks won't count for 99%. Duh ?
    That would be me. Yay 0/ I get stuff right every so often. Then again with my longwinded rants it's more a case of an infinite amount of monkeys with an infinite amount of typewriters coming up with Shakespeare. :D
    Agreed. Certainly if you're looking for a relationship. I've certainly known guys who could pull in a convent, but can't sustain an adult relationship much beyond a month.
    A woman has already posted here about beautiful women having desperate trouble finding partners.
    That would be me again, but I ain't a woman. A common enough mistake in my time around here. Which is worrying. :eek: :D
    Some men continuously have a problem grasping this. It's hardly surprising is it ? She is burdened, yes burdened, by the power to pull any and every man who has the balls to approach her. But where does that lead ? it leads to thousands of empty hours with partners who they are completely incompatible with.
    Pretty much. It is very rare the man who can see beyond her face or arse and not be intimidated by that and not come across as a gimp.
    Probably, although I would argue it may be easier for some guys to meet foreign women because they're more approachable outside of the pub/club scene. That's what I've found from my own experience, although I was never a big drinker myself and I've worked with a lot of foreign women over the years which didn't do any harm as far as my dating options were concerned, so maybe that has something to do with it.
    That's a part of it D. I'd say there are other factors too. For a start some men will relax around foreign women, simply because they're foreign and they have an image built up in their heads that they're less likely to be bitchy with them. So the guy comes across better. Plus success breeds success. For some reason, most likely a fluke, I have had much more success with Foreign women. I gel better with them for some reason. I get more attention too. Or is that me filtering what I know to be true subjectively and ignoring the objective reality around Irish women? So if 1 outa 10 foreign women show an interest I see it, but if 5 outa 10 Irish women do I ignore it? I'd say that's much closer to the truth.

This is a worldwide meme with it. Get into any taxi anywhere in the world and you will get the same convos. "Jaysus the weather, eh?". "working long?". "Politicians are all bastards". "Local women ain't worth your time". I've heard that played all over the world in my time. Add in "oh I've heard women from [insert country here] are gorgeous and easy to get along with". Oh and more than once I've heard Irish women being referenced in that way. Seems to be something inbuilt to the male genome to seek out the different and exotic(goes for the ladies too to some degree). Makes sense as it makes for better gene exchange. So the next time an Irish bloke says something like "Italian women are perfect", go ask an Italian bloke and you'll see what I mean.
    I completely agree with your first 2 sentences, especially the second. If the only way you're meeting women is in bars and clubs and a lot of them are bitches then it is going to taint your outlook and its very easy to get into a negative mindset. I'm guilty of doing this myself.
    Very much so. Once someone builds up a particular worldview it can be a bugger to shift. After all people would rather be proven right than be happy.
    Macavity. wrote: »
    From my own observation I find that attraction is quite objective. When out with friends I can basically predict their chances of success based on their appearance relative to the woman they are pursuing (obviously, confidence and perceived status are factors here also). I know a lot of lads who would consider themselves to be dating up in terms of looks (because they like the girl) but in reality they're about on par.
    Yep I would tend to agree. It's rare enough I'd see a big disparity in overall attractiveness in a couple. Not just the physical either. So sometimes you'll meet a man who is a "5" in objective looks with a woman who is an "8", but hang out with them long enough and you can see him making up that 3 point difference in other ways.
    Twas Not wrote: »
    What about Maia Doherty and that morbidly obese comedian so?
    Sure, but it is rare enough. For a start he is a very popular comedian in the UK, so has much larger social standing than some rugger bugger accountant from D4 she may have otherwise gone for. Though I doubt it, she comes across as a very clued in, bright and funny person and so is he on top of the other stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No. It hasn't happened yet unfortunately. Some guys do perfectly fine without any but I think having a couple of female friends would definitely help in some ways.
    It does. In a big way. I've always been lucky in having really bloody good women mates. For a start it keeps you clear of the rocks of "all women are bitches". Doesn't really fly when you recall how many times your mates who happened to be women dug your arse outa the fire. And you hear their side of things and the gobshítes they've had to deal with. So you get a balance. Though I would say as a general rule their dating advice is usually dreadful. :D If you're a mate they already like you, so will tend to back off with the honesty and tell you stuff you want to hear to gee up your spirits. Your hairy arsed bloke mates are more likely to tell you "you're an effin state, get a haircut and a shave hippie boy". :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

Out of interest why do you think female friends would help? I don't think they would because creating attraction and making a friend are very different things. Guys who struggle with women can sometimes have many female friends, which in itself is an issue.

Nothing wrong with having female friends of course.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The one area they look for difference in is immune system response(through smell and taste apparently).

Wait.... What?

H. H. Asquith

Mike747 wrote: »
    Out of interest why do you think female friends would help? I don't think they would because creating attraction and making a friend are very different things. Guys who struggle with women can sometimes have many female friends, which in itself is an issue.

Nothing wrong with having female friends of course.

Until recently, I've had near to no female friends. There are a few at work I get on with though. For one thing, it's never a bad idea to get a female perspective on things, especially if you're looking for a relationship. It's also nice to appreciate how womens' minds work and how their opinions differ from mens'. For one example, I was wondering why women spend so much money on shoes and commented that my rudimentary shoes had lasted for several years and were quite affordable only to be told that that's a male thing. Anyway, I'm by no means an expert and I'd hate to inadvertently appear sexist so I'll leave that there.

H. H. Asquith

Mike747 wrote: »
    Guys who struggle with women can sometimes have many female friends, which in itself is an issue.

I have rarely come across a guy who struggled severely with women who had female friends.

Women are slightly different I think it helps to get to know that without wanting it to go anywhere.

Women who are your mates, look out for you. They are 'on your side' so to speak. It's not about men and women. It is you and your friend and it's helpful to get to know a woman without the men /women BS. And if you find it difficult to connect with women while being yourself it helps.

Seeing women just as ordinary people will knock them off their pedestal but in the healthiest way possible. They are just muddling through this stuff as we are. A female perspective that is on side is helpful.

Not to mention some great friends happen to be women.

• Advertisement

Wait.... What?
    Yep. Women(and men) are attracted to the scent of people that have a different immune system to them. Just one link on the subject.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement