Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it self defeatist to say that some men are meant to be alone??‏

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    And you know what all women are thinking do you?

I was wondering how long it would take for a comment like that to arrive on the scene ..some or a lot of women i should say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

audi12 wrote: »
    I was wondering how long it would take for a comment like that to arrive on the scene ..some or a lot of women i should say

So you can speak for some or a lot of women?

So you can speak for some or a lot of women?

I speak to a lot of women and men who know a lot of women so yes i can

I speak to a lot of women and men who know a lot of women so yes i can

Well if they're so good at telling lies then how do you know they aren't lying to you?

Maybe they are but i have my own past experiences with women to back up my claims also

• Advertisement

Maybe they are but i have my own past experiences with women to back up my claims also

Ahh so you've anecdotal evidence. Case closed so.

Ahh so you've anecdotal evidence. Case closed so.

I am not sure how much more evidence you need but i assume you are trying to get reaction from me I dont care enough about this to react. I know a lot of women are full of crap when they talk about wanting a nice guy common knowledge not as if it is some big secret

I am not sure how much more evidence you need

I think I've enough. I mean its your own personal experience so it can't exactly be considered fact.
    I know a lot of women are full of crap when they talk about wanting a nice guy common knowledge not as if it is some big secret

That would really depend on your definition of a nice guy though. There's a big difference between nice guy and dormat/whinger.

I think I've enough. I mean its your own personal experience so it can't exactly be considered fact.

That would really depend on your definition of a nice guy though. There's a big difference between nice guy and dormat/whinger.

why dont you tell me what you think for a change you seem to disagree with me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Karsini wrote: »
    The thing is, stuff like this seems to fuel the "women love bastards" or "treat them mean, keep them keen" generalisation. I just can't treat someone that way, it makes me feel horrible.

I'm more outgoing than I used to be but still feel rather dull and boring at times; it's like I never found myself and still live by what others tell me to do, to the point that I find it really hard to make decisions on my own. My fear is that it could be something like Aspergers or AvPD which might make it impossible for me to change things. I've suspected the former for a long time.

I recently turned 30 and unfortunately feel like I've been left on the shelf and may remain that way. However I'm starting an 8 week CBT course on Wednesday and I'm really hoping this might do something for me.

or schizotypal or borderline maybe.

You can only be who you are and you cant be what you are not

• Advertisement

why dont you tell me what you think for a change you seem to disagree with me

As do most of the posters on this thread. I agree with what Piliger and LiveIsLife said...
    Piliger wrote: »
    Nice guys get the vast majority of the best women. That is the simple truth of it. The guys who lose out are the ones that buy into this losers interpretation of their own personal failures.
    LiveIsLife wrote: »
    You're confusing nice guys with guys who are doormats and don't have the confidence to go after what they want

As I said, it really depends on your definition of a nice guy. You can be a nice guy and still have the confidence and charm to approach women and be successful.

i really think it is pathetic that posters are debating the personality of men who "get women." Surely there is more to life than this pseudo popularity contest

Roquentin wrote: »
    i really think it is pathetic that posters are debating the personality of men who "get women." Surely there is more to life than this pseudo popularity contest

I think you have missed the point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭diveout

or schizotypal or borderline maybe.

You can only be who you are and you cant be what you are not

If you are going to practise treat them mean to keep them keen, then you deserve to end up with a borderline. Sweet justice. You want keen, you got it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭paddy1990

Its all about confidence and putting yourself out there lads. Keep working on it. Just approach and get over your fears and chat women up. Women love being chatted up by guys. There are no "leagues".

732e2f79aeba7141edf4d919fa9def847948a0f7c96878d38c0ba3b18077fe2f.jpg

^^^^They love been chatted up by guys that look like Mr Hemsworth lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭paddy1990

^^^^They love been chatted up by guys that look like Mr Hemsworth lol.

It doesn't matter if you look like Hemsworth or the elephant man. Women like guys chatting them up and you'll never know unless you try. There are no "leagues". Looks don't matter. I know a guy who looks like the elephant man and gets more women than anyone else I know. It's all about personality and confidence. I know loads of girls who don't even think Hemsworth is attractive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

paddy1990 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if you look like Hemsworth or the elephant man. Women like guys chatting them up and you'll never know unless you try. There are no "leagues". Looks don't matter. I know a guy who looks like the elephant man and gets more women than anyone else I know. It's all about personality and confidence. I know loads of girls who don't even think Hemsworth is attractive.

What happened to your Looks, Money & Status philosophy?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭macplato

What happened to your Looks, Money & Status philosophy?

Can't you smell a troll, no? :D

Women like guys that are ugly and not fit because they can control them it was proven in studies done

• Advertisement

Women like guys that are ugly and not fit because they can control them it was proven in studies done

And who are the women you are referring to? All of them, yeah?

macplato wrote: »

As you know i was not referring to every single woman in the planet so i really do not see the need for you to ask a question when you already know the answer

I didnt do the study did i so i dont know the names of the women maybe look it up on the internet where i found it .. Women love to be in control anyway so its hardly a surprising find

As you know i was not referring to every single woman in the planet so i really do not see the need for you to ask a question when you already know the answer

Well, you said "women" - that suggests that you are thinking "all women". Otherwise you'd specify, and said "women, who...", or you'd say "according to studies, such and such percentage of women...". You know, so people can actually engage in a sensical conversation with you, because by the way you are phrasing your thoughts, it seems that you're just trying to provoke a reaction, which you will later aggressively dismiss.

Well, you said "women" - that suggests that you are thinking "all women". Otherwise you'd specify, and said "women, who...", or you'd say "according to studies, such and such percentage of women...". You know, so people can actually engage in a sensical conversation with you, because by the way you are phrasing your thoughts, it seems that you're just trying to provoke a reaction, which you will later aggressively dismiss.

Point taken i am not trying to provoke a reaction just giving a view

Point taken i am not trying to provoke a reaction just giving a view

It's absolutely true - some women choose men who they consider somewhat beneath them, so they can effectively control them (and of course men do that as well). More often than not, this doesn't happen consciously - it's an entirely instinctive strategy designed to protect the person's insecure self. We all have and use those unconscious strategies, both men and women - the more positive experiences a person has had in life, the healthier, more functional strategy they tend to develop.

Many men (and women of course), who have problems with intimacy, adopt an inner strategy that makes it impossible for them to make a meaningful connection with a person of the opposite sex. Psychologically, it's just more bearable to not have an opportunity to be intimate with someone, than to be in an intimate situation and feel this excruciating emotional pain of being touched by another human being - of being open, exposed and vulnerable. Some people can't cope with that, and so they avoid facing their own 'issues' by blaming the 'evil, controlling bitches' or 'selfish, self-centered male chauvinistic pigs' for the lack of intimacy in their lives.

The truth is, if someone is consistently unable to make a meaningful connection with people of the opposite sex - the problem lies somewhere inside of that person, and so does the solution. This world is full of healthy, lovely men and women, but the only way to have those people in our lives, to even notice their existence, is to become healthy and lovely ourselves. There is no other way, because we gravitate towards each other at our common level of emotional damage. Messed up people attract messed up people. Healthy people attract healthy people. It's really that simple.

It's absolutely true - some women choose men who they consider somewhat beneath them, so they can effectively control them (and of course men do that as well). More often than not, this doesn't happen consciously - it's an entirely instinctive strategy designed to protect the person's insecure self. We all have and use those unconscious strategies, both men and women - the more positive experiences a person has had in life, the healthier, more functional strategy they tend to develop.

Many men (and women of course), who have problems with intimacy, adopt an inner strategy that makes it impossible for them to make a meaningful connection with a person of the opposite sex. Psychologically, it's just more bearable to not have an opportunity to be intimate with someone, than to be in an intimate situation and feel this excruciating emotional pain of being touched by another human being - of being open, exposed and vulnerable. Some people can't cope with that, and so they avoid facing their own 'issues' by blaming the 'evil, controlling bitches' or 'selfish, self-centered male chauvinistic pigs' for the lack of intimacy in their lives.

The truth is, if someone is consistently unable to make a meaningful connection with people of the opposite sex - the problem lies somewhere inside of that person, and so does the solution. This world is full of healthy, lovely men and women, but the only way to have those people in our lives, to even notice their existence, is to become healthy and lovely ourselves. There is no other way, because we gravitate towards each other at our common level of emotional damage. Messed up people attract messed up people. Healthy people attract healthy people. It's really that simple.

Agree with a lot of that like attracts like you see that everywhere you go

the only way to have a friend is to be one---ralph waldo emerson

the only way to have a friend is to be one---ralph waldo emerson

what is that supposed to mean

• Advertisement

what is that supposed to mean

exactly what it says