Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maths degrees in university? How difficult are they??

• 23-08-2014 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So I'm going into 6th year and was considering studying maths in collage. I am thinking about the maths course in DCU ( common entry ).

Anyway you need to get a B3 in higher maths. Im getting grinds once a week and I must say it is a great help, I would be lost without them.

1. I don't think I will get a b3, I'm good at maths but I'm not exceptional! Am I just setting myself up for dissapointment?

2. If I do scrape a b3 or higher and I get accepted, i feel like I won't be good enough. Without grinds I would be a low c student. So is there anyone doing any maths course and is it difficult?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 skype919

Maths is taught a completely different way in college. In School you are force fed a 'method' with no real engagement other than the teacher (who is paid to teach this way), shoving the same old principals down your neck! ... MOst likely your first year in a maths degree will be Calculus, where you'll be given complex problems that might take you a week to solve but they'll be interesting ones which, if you have a genuine interest in maths, you'll be excited about solving them. Also in college there will be dedicated support centres for maths as all general science students must pass a 1st year maths exam, i cannot reccommend these centres enough, please use them. They will be full of current students in their final year of maths helping you along with paid tutors/lecturers..... I could go one forever but i'll summarise with.. if you genuinely like maths, GO FOR IT!... College is a completely different way of learning than school! remember in school your teacher has to go from 6th year hons maths to 1st years introduction to trigonometry so you can't lay all the blame on them for not being super enthusiastic, where as college lecturers will be delighted to see you knocking on their door looking for advice and hashing out problems!

I'm a Maths Ed student from NUIM

Advertisement