Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The D4 Accent is a disease...

• 23-08-2014 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

How does a person from central finglas or cabra end up with a d4 accent, such pretence annoys me... I hear nowadays wagons all over touting this intollerable ball of pretence... even down in the rural places of cork and limerick there is a variant...does anybody agree ... loike?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

You face is a diesease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

You face is a diesease

I cannot even start to begin to pick out whats wrong with that response haha....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

You face is a diesease

My face is an STD. Just sayin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

How does a person from central finglas or cabra end up with a d4 accent,

Because it's the same accent as Ringsend and Irishtown ;)

Magnate wrote: »
    Makes just as much sense as the OP...

I can just imagine you in an art gallery judging art in a linen cum tweed suit lollygagging with a pretentious glass of vino.... stick to that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

But i dont know which is worse.

D4 or finglas ?

Either way... dublin me arse. Bad enough we have to commute to the kip but also listen to arseholes left right and center !

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

It totes is, loike. # disease.

How does a person from central finglas or cabra end up with a d4 accent, such pretence annoys me... I hear nowadays wagons all over touting this intollerable ball of pretence... even down in the rural places of cork and limerick there is a variant...does anybody agree ... loike?

So is a D4 accent okay if you're actually from D4?

Or is it necessary to adopt some other accent to avoid ridicule?

Candie wrote: »
    So is a D4 accent okay if you're actually from D4?

Or is it necessary to adopt some other accent to avoid ridicule?

Not necessarily, but it should be kept in quarantine....

speaking about accents do you hear the hack of nadine coyle's accent now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Soooo, roysh, the D4 Heads are a going breed, it would seem. I have no idea where this accent came from and how it has developed so much in the last few years. It can be, ohmygod, soooo headwrecking listening to some of these, the girls in particular, prattling on at, loike, 100 miles per hour? Every conversation is guaranteed to have "ohmygod" in it at some point, and the overuse of "loike," "basically," etc. "He was, loike," "she was, loike," and "we were, loike" are usually common features too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'd just like to say that my Dad is the highest paid partner in KPMG.

Ok I'm off to serve my ban now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I was raised and went to school in Ballsbridge and I know nobody who spoke with the famous d4 accent. It's not a d4 accent.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    I was raised and went to school in Ballsbridge and I know nobody who spoke with the famous d4 accent. It's not a d4 accent.

hmm what would you define it as being then?

hmm what would you define it as being then?

An accent put on by teenagers, culchies and folk who are unhappy about their own accent. No grown up from d4 speaks like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    An accent put on by teenagers, culchies and folk who are unhappy about their own accent. No grown up from d4 speaks like that.

No culchie speaks like that either, in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Everything I know about the D4 accent I learned from Ross O'Carroll Kelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

The worst part of the whole thing is the prevalence of these reoccurring boring threads about it on boards.ie, they just come back again over and over, then comes the post with "loike", "roysh" again, and on, and on.

How about something more original, like a drugs debate, the dole, or a rant about the bankers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I think the OP means that really forced accent that must be just exhausting to enunciate all the time. I know people from affluent parts of Dublin who have a "posh" accent but it's not that - their accent is natural, and not painful to listen to.
    The one I'm thinking of is found all over Dublin, not just D4, and it's put on by people (women mostly) who move to Dublin from the country. I know one woman from Waterford who does it and I don't know how she keeps it up.

Macavity. wrote: »
    No culchie speaks like that either, in fairness.

That's my point, it'd not a real accent, it's put on non sence that for some reason has been labelled the d4 accent. I have a d4 accent, it's a typical neutral south Dublin accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's a Spin 1038 accent. ''It's Becky here with all your pordy tunes''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

That accent seriously gets on my wick, the very reason why I hate taking public transport when visiting Dublin.

One time I was on a bus in Dublin heading to Foxrock and my girlfriend was with me, I was trying to talk to her and there was 4 of these young Triners arts students sitting up front talking obnoxiously and very loudly to the point where I couldn't hear myself talk to the girlfriend and they were spewing all sorts of shyte on how great their academics were and getting 550-600 points in the leaving and calling anyone who got less than 500 a retard. I was just sitting there asking the girlfriend "How much longer till we get to Foxrock? I may bash their heads together!" The girlfriend was like "I know, this feckin put on accent, deep breaths, deep breaths!"

Another day I had to get a connecting bus from Dublin to Mayo and there was two D4 lads sitting behind me and the conversation was about some house party one of them had "Barry I was soooo locked last noyt at the house party, sorry I broke that bottle of your Dad's single malt, tell you Dad I'm sorry" Followed by a reply of "Not a bother Oisin, Dad has three more in the cellar" followed by Oisins reply "Your Dad is such a ledgebag!" They were quite a bit out of touch. They got off the bus around Liffey Valley thank Christ, that day I forgot my earphones and I didn't want to hear that shyte for a 4 hour journey.

Can't believe it's more expensive to live there than anywhere else in the country, I'd want a couple of hundred euro off my rent if I had to listen to that drivel every day coming from people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm always amazed at how much focus there is on D4 and it's accent in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    That accent seriously gets on my wick, the very reason why I hate taking public transport when visiting Dublin.

One time I was on a bus in Dublin heading to Foxrock and my girlfriend was with me, I was trying to talk to her and there was 4 of these young Triners arts students sitting up front talking obnoxiously and very loudly to the point where I couldn't hear myself talk to the girlfriend and they were spewing all sorts of shyte on how great their academics were and getting 550-600 points in the leaving and calling anyone who got less than 500 a retard. I was just sitting there asking the girlfriend "How much longer till we get to Foxrock? I may bash their heads together!" The girlfriend was like "I know, this feckin put on accent, deep breaths, deep breaths!"

Another day I had to get a connecting bus from Dublin to Mayo and there was two D4 lads sitting behind me and the conversation was about some house party one of them had "Barry I was soooo locked last noyt at the house party, sorry I broke that bottle of your Dad's single malt, tell you Dad I'm sorry" Followed by a reply of "Not a bother Oisin, Dad has three more in the cellar" followed by Oisins reply "Your Dad is such a ledgebag!" They were quite a bit out of touch. They got off the bus around Liffey Valley thank Christ, that day I forgot my earphones and I didn't want to hear that shyte for a 4 hour journey.

Can't believe it's more expensive to live there than anywhere else in the country, I'd want a couple of hundred euro off my rent if I had to listen to that drivel every day coming from people.

Any more made up stories?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

How does a person from central finglas or cabra end up with a d4 accent... loike?

Proximity.

Finglas and Cabra are in the same county as D4.

I can't understand how young wans from the other 25 counties always end up with that accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

It's quite a simple and infectious accent to put on if you want to sound exaggeratedly posh. I guess it just sticks to some people easily, mostly the young and impressionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

zcorpian88 wrote: »

Where are you from? What's your accent like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I have a Drogheda 4 accent, and it's fcukin' gawjuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

This is banter on an epic level.

If your accent is in danger of being replaced by a D4 accent, then you gotta start a campaign. Or make a video featuring that accent, like the lad who made a video about a failed driving test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

D4 or finglas ?

Either way... dublin me arse. Bad enough we have to commute to the kip but also listen to arseholes left right and center !

No one is forcing you ;)

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm always amazed at how much focus there is on D4 and it's accent in Ireland.

Its very parochial. There seems to be a lot of bitterness aimed at the imaginary 'Dem in D4'. I bet most of them don't even know where D4 is.
    The derogatory use of 'D4' was coined by a journalist (I cant remember which one) who was rightly highlighting a cozy cartel between RTE, certain business insiders and certain politicians (for example the panel on Marion Finucaines show each Sunday).

Now it used by every Bogger who has a chip on his shoulder abut Dublin.

There is an irritating accent that has emerged in recent timess ('Dort' 'Coirke'..etc) - but it has not really emerged from D4 - I hear it a lot on Newstalk especially - (Tara Duggan!!) - and the AA Roadwatch crowd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

LorMal wrote: »
    Its very parochial. There seems to be a lot of bitterness aimed at the imaginary 'Dem in D4'. I bet most of them don't even know where D4 is.
    The derogatory use of 'D4' was coined by a journalist (I cant remember which one) who was rightly highlighting a cozy cartel between RTE, certain business insiders and certain politicians (for example the panel on Marion Finucaines show each Sunday).

Now it used by every Bogger who has a chip on his shoulder abut Dublin.

There is an irritating accent that has emerged in recent timess ('Dort' 'Coirke'..etc) - but it has not really emerged from D4 - I hear it a lot on Newstalk especially - (Tara Duggan!!) - and the AA Roadwatch crowd.

More stereotyped bull****. Get a life

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    More stereotyped bull****. Get a life

Brilliantly argued. Bogger?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I know it's labelled "D4" but we all know it just means that generic affected accent where T sounds like D and O sounds like Ew.

More prevalent in Dublin alright but affects various parts of the county. I first heard it when I went to the Gaeltacht as a teenager and these Dublin girls were in my house- I didn't have a clue what they were saying. And that's when they were talking in English.

It's a terrible accent, regardless of where you're from or where it started. Still though, I love that a country as small as Ireland has so many accents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Meangadh wrote: »
    I know it's labelled "D4" but we all know it just means that generic affected accent where T sounds like D and O sounds like Ew.

More prevalent in Dublin alright but affects various parts of the county. I first heard it when I went to the Gaeltacht as a teenager and these Dublin girls were in my house- I didn't have a clue what they were saying. And that's when they were talking in English.

It's a terrible accent, regardless of where you're from or where it started. Still though, I love that a country as small as Ireland has so many accents.

Thank Aldi for the best example of Accentism currently available.......have a listen to the chizzler,then compare the response from "Mom".....Great Ad,but FFS was Imelda May not available that day or wha..???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85bsYoCs4os&index=1&list=PLci7Ghhw75gSb-JmiKjmrlXOJgTxrlpQs

:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

A Dublin accent annoys you? Heavens forbid you ever visit some other world city, such as New York or Melbourne.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

D4 or finglas ?

Why not just stay down the bog daubing yourself in ****e and fingering your favourite sheep so?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

aidoh wrote: »
    Why not just stay down the bog daubing yourself in ****e and fingering your favourite sheep so?

Why do so many Dubs assume that all non Dubs live in a bog?Do you even know what a bog is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

How do you know if a Southside girl has an orgasm?

She drops her accent :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Thank Aldi for the best example of Accentism currently available.......have a listen to the chizzler,then compare the response from "Mom".....Great Ad,but FFS was Imelda May not available that day or wha..???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85bsYoCs4os&index=1&list=PLci7Ghhw75gSb-JmiKjmrlXOJgTxrlpQs

That's brilliant. All the times I saw that add and took no notice of the mammy's accent.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Because it's the same accent as Ringsend and Irishtown ;)

Shouldn't that be Oirishtown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

steddyeddy wrote: »
    How do you know if a Southside girl has an orgasm?

She drops her accent :p
    idgi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I used to live in D4, Ballsbridge to be exact and I never came across anyone with this accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The "D4" accent is actually mostly heard in certain schools and in Søüth Cøunty Dûblin.

The accent in D4 itself is actually very nice. Old style clear and not pretentious. Accent in parts of D4 would be closer to full on City Centre too.

The old South Co Dublin accent is more like Maeve Binchy too - quite warm and pleasant sounding.

What we're calling D4 is some kind of an abomination that was made up by the nouveau riche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The hooray henry's living in Irishtown and Ringsend are the worst offenders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

D4?

You've sunk my battleship!

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

nm wrote: »
    How about something more original, like a drugs debate, the dole, or a rant about the bankers.

I think there was a really cool thread about accents a few days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

I wish all people from Finglas put on a D4 accent.

Certainly more welcoming than "HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

AlekSmart wrote: »

I love that ad! Unfortunately for my hubby, every time it comes on he has to listen to me rant about how the f**k does a child with that accent have a mother with that accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Not necessarily, but it should be kept in quarantine....

speaking about accents do you hear the hack of nadine coyle's accent now...

I heard her on TV the other night, if I understood her correctly, she said everyone thinks she is American!! you would want to be from Mars to think she had an American accent.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Maybe it's subconsciously seen as carrying more sophistication and gravitas, same thing happens in England where people from ''the provinces'' who move to the South East or London after Uni nullify any strong regional accents or idioms and adopt a bland sounding RP accent that's deemed to be a marker of middle classness.

A bigger joke though are people who double-barrell their surnames for similar reasons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement