Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The D4 Accent is a disease...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The "D4" accent is actually mostly heard in certain schools and in Søüth Cøunty Dûblin.

The accent in D4 itself is actually very nice. Old style clear and not pretentious. Accent in parts of D4 would be closer to full on City Centre too.

The old South Co Dublin accent is more like Maeve Binchy too - quite warm and pleasant sounding.

What we're calling D4 is some kind of an abomination that was made up by the nouveau riche.

Nouveau riche ffs are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I love that ad! Unfortunately for my hubby, every time it comes on he has to listen to me rant about how the f**k does a child with that accent have a mother with that accent.

If I met that little girl,my first question would be......"WHO'S YOUR DADDY" :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Is this thread from 10 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭larrlin24

Is there a reason you care so much? Personally, I don't mind it. I grew up in South Dublin so maybe I'm biased as I'm used to the accent, and have it myself. Imo, the "typical" North Dublin accent is more irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 con89

Ever hear the that Castletroy (especially the Monaleen & Killonan areas) accent?
    Having lived in both Dublin & Limerick I can safely say the posh boy limerick (C-Trouy) accent is just as irritating as the D4 one.

"Oh my goud, my daddoy totes should buy me a new cor, he's renting anothour house",

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

How does a person from central finglas or cabra end up with a d4 accent, such pretence annoys me... I hear nowadays wagons all over touting this intollerable ball of pretence... even down in the rural places of cork and limerick there is a variant...does anybody agree ... loike?

This is a good question. I kindof have one of the variants but god knows how / why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

There's no such thing as the D4 accent.

There's only the UCD accent, a horrible imitation of the Ross O'Carroll-Kelly accent that is ubiquitous in certain areas in UCD and is taken up by townies, culchies, Dubs and everyone else for some strange, surreal reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ah for feck sakes.

Ive been adding likes to two year old posts.

Gotta check dates before posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

con89 wrote: »
    Ever hear the that Castletroy (especially the Monaleen & Killonan areas) accent?
    Having lived in both Dublin & Limerick I can safely say the posh boy limerick (C-Trouy) accent is just as irritating as the D4 one.

"Oh my goud, my daddoy totes should buy me a new cor, he's renting anothour house",

This might be hyperbole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement