Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essentials for Second Same Gender Baby

Options
  • 23-08-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I am due my second baby soon and have started to make a list of essentials. The baby will be the same gender so will have lots of clothes just need some new vests. My family are asking for ideas foot presents and I want to ask for essentials, I'm not sure what to tell them. So far I have come up with a set of bottles (hoping to fb again all going well), a baby monitor, Moses basket mattress, and that's where I'm at!
    What were your essentials for second baby?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I didn't know the gender either time but I bought some nice 'first babygros' for the second and some new clothes once he arrived - I had a girl first time. If I'd had the same gender I still would've asked for new clothes as the time of the year was different, and I think a second child deserves some new things for themselves.
    We also needed a double buggy, maybe if this is needed people could get vouchers? Also Mothercare/Next/Mamas and Papas vouchers were welcome as I could get things I needed when baby was a bit older.
    Maybe things like cuddly toys so the baby has some of their own, and toys for the older child so the jealousy can be alleviated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Yep I have two girls so maybe like blankets.
    Coats or I no some people would not think as a present but wipes \ nappies to cut down your costs.

Either toys as suggested.
    Picture frames for bedroom or a voucher for a photographer so you could get both children photographed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I bought nothing new for second bar a few nice early sleep suits.

first was a June baby second was august
    Cot mobile either would that be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I had my first in July and it was a cold summer, and my second in March... Massive difference in clothes. I had loads of long sleeved vests not short sleeved, warm fleecy baby grows (esp in the 3-6 month), which were completely unusable this summer. So clothes definitely if that's a consideration.

Baby brought my two year old a present, and lots of stickers ;)

Make sure your bouncer is durable if they are close in age. My two year old can and does like to climb into everything: a friends two year old broke her bouncer because it was a lighter style one. I have a toddler rocker and all is ok.

New cot mattress? Personalised stuff is always nice we have a lot of embroidered stuff they will have in years to come. A voucher for photos maybe, because despite best intentions you will not take the same amount of pics second time around. I swear by having a proper sling it makes my life 40 times easier at the playground etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I am due my second baby soon and have started to make a list of essentials. The baby will be the same gender so will have lots of clothes just need some new vests. My family are asking for ideas foot presents and I want to ask for essentials, I'm not sure what to tell them. So far I have come up with a set of bottles (hoping to fb again all going well), a baby monitor, Moses basket mattress, and that's where I'm at!
    What were your essentials for second baby?

I was sorting out baby stuff here and I was thinking I wouldn't need to buy much (if anything) for number two. So I was thinking the presents would really be for luxury things!

If you are going to formula feed I would highly recommend the tommee tippee perfect prep machine, so vouchers for mothercare could come in handy :) it is cheaper on amazon but you could just buy in mothercare with vouchers http://www.mothercare.ie/tommee-tippee-closer-to-nature-perfect-prep-machine.html

or else I would love voucher for family photo shoot (you can get them on living social for max €20 and a free pic) if you are in dublin I can recommend an excellent one who regularly has the offer on.

My absolute favourite (big) present are those imprint/out prints. If you don't have you first child's done you could get sibling ones done. http://www.memorymakers.ie/index.asp-Q-I-E-imprints,2 I have seen cheaper versions done with just painted handprints on a plate and they are also fab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

two boys here, one brn in November, the other in January. second baby was a lot smaller than the first, so we ended up buying a good few bits as the seasons were just that little bit off (plus it's nice for number two to have their own stuff as well).

we got some wonderful embroidered towels for the boys (big hooded ones they can have forever ;)), might be an idea.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A double buggy and that was it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭MollFlanders

Thanks for all of the replies and ideas. I bought some new babygros in Next, but to be honest I have so much unworn stuff from the first time, that new baby will have loads of new clothes!
    I have picked my double buggy and asking for vouchers towards it, is a good idea. Love the photo idea and think I will definitely do that.
    We have so much baby stuff that I want to avoid adding unessential items, if that makes sense! It will also make my life easier when it comes to cleaning! Was reading a website for cleaning/organising tips and she said you can't clean clutter! My new mantra!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Two girls here, both born in same month of year. Didn't need much to be honest. Maybe replacements of things which had worn out, like soothers and teething toys.

Second baby had reflux, so needed a LOT more bibs and babygrows in the end. And a sleep positioner wedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

My sis in law exchanged lots of the clothes she got for her second girl for much bigger stuff for the older girl as the presents were never going to be worn.

You could suggest that people give you vouchers - you'll always need nappies, changing stuff etc.

Get a baby memory box as you're never as careful with hospital tags, newspaper from the day they were born, scans etc as you were with the first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Nappies and lots of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

First born in april second in march. Girl and boy so clothes was needed but other than that bottles , formula and nappies and wipes. . Bought a double which i used for about a month now just use sling all the time .
    highly recommed a decent sling also so you can play with older child but still spending a bit of time with younger one also.

Advertisement