Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

'Blipping' the throttle

• 23-08-2014 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

So errr... I don't really do it and never have. I've always just kinda kept the throttle open a tad a released the clutch slowly until engine and gearbox revs were matched.

Having read a lot online about it have seen a few instructional videos on YT, I think when I own a big twin, I think I can't put this off any more. I tried it on a spin today with limited success. I understand the principal of what I'm trying to do but it seems like a superhuman technique to try and match the revs in a split second.

One specific occasion when I'm confused about how to use the technique is when slowing down more gently such as when you slow down entering a 60kmh speed zone- I can't see how you can use this technique when gently slowing down without serious risk of 'pogoing' the bike if you don't get your throttle position millimetre perfect... so would you do something else when not gearing down heavily??

I just can't see how you would 'blip' the throttle in anything less than entering a corner on a track day much less under normal day to day driving.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i do it match engine speed to the gear i'm changing down into, makes it smoother than just banging down the box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You mightn't need to do it. I did it with my old bike (dominator, 650 single) cos the back wheel would lock up slightly for a second when you're going down through the gears. Didn't really need to do it on the bmw, but on the ducati I need to do it again.
    Ideally I'd get a slipper clutch to help it but they're too expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

I never ever change down a gear without blipping the throttle to match the engine revs. I don't know if this is right or wrong, but I've been doing it for years and I ain't gonna change now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Me too, if I'm doing it to slow the bike in a hurry. I figure it lessens the chance of the back wheel locking, just seems intuitive.

But not "when slowing down more gently such as when you slow down entering a 60kmh speed zone" as per OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I do it on my harley all the time. ..It's just practice

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,379 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Always do it. Makes the gearchange much smoother, less strain on gearbox and clutch, and less risk of upsetting the rear wheel on a slippery surface.

Scrap the cap!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Just keep practicing. I was crap at it first and now I do it without thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Couldn't be arsed, and besides I like locking/sliding the rear wheel out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

galwaytt wrote: »
    I do it on my harley all the time. ..It's just practice
    Always do it.
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    Just keep practicing. I was crap at it first and now I do it without thinking.
    serious3 wrote: »
    i do it match engine speed to the gear i'm changing down into, makes it smoother than just banging down the box
    ratracer wrote: »
    I never ever change down a gear without blipping the throttle to match the engine revs. I don't know if this is right or wrong, but I've been doing it for years and I ain't gonna change now!!
    peckerhead wrote: »
    But not "when slowing down more gently such as when you slow down entering a 60kmh speed zone" as per OP.

You consciously decide against blipping and revert to gentle clutch release/ throttle up? Even on the thread people will say they do it 'always' but at this early stage I can't see how it's viable when it appears to require phenomenal accuracy in throttle position.

Maybe people say they 'always' do it but don't mean it literally every single shift bar none?

The question is do I aspire to one day blip the throttle on literally every single downshift no matter what the circumstances?
    Couldn't be arsed, and besides I like locking/sliding the rear wheel out.

/gulp

I have mixed feelings about it!!

Having ridden less than 1000 km this year I must say I can be a little intimidated by the chances of locking up the rear wheel. I think the time's come to face the 'blip' challenge...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Blipping the throttle is easier on the running gear too. Chain, sprockets, gearbox etc. A bit of advice from me would be to blip the throttle, and when you let the throttle off, then release the clutch. Practice makes perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

cantdecide wrote: »
    You consciously decide against blipping and revert to gentle clutch release/ throttle up? Even on the thread people will say they do it 'always' but at this early stage I can't see how it's viable when it appears to require phenomenal accuracy in throttle position.

Maybe people say they 'always' do it but don't mean it literally every single shift bar none?

The question is do I aspire to one day blip the throttle on literally every single downshift no matter what the circumstances?

/gulp

I have mixed feelings about it!!

Having ridden less than 1000 km this year I must say I can be a little intimidated by the chances of locking up the rear wheel. I think the time's come to face the 'blip' challenge...

The front locking is the one to be concerned about. Rear wheel is easy to control either way - just clutch it again and/or steer it if its about 5 feet out of line :pac:
    I enjoy lamping the back brake myself to get a nice long slide when stopping. As for blipping you dont need to do it all the time. It's handy when you are pushing on and need to get down the gearbox fast but you can change down without it with no ill effects if just going at normal pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,379 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

At slow speed it's not even a blip but just keeping a tiny bit of throttle on when pulling the clutch in does the trick.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

If you've been riding without issue for however long you have been riding why change it up now? Stick to what you know. It won't get you from A to B any faster or slower, it won't have any significant effect on any consumables on your bike so what's the big deal? Once you are comfortable riding your own ride then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

the only times i get a good result from blipping the throttle is when im going fast and coming down the gears into a bend or corner spiritedly (within speed limits blah-di-blah).
    if im just pottering along and am slowing down i just release the clutch slowly as i find you dont really need to do any more..

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

I always blip when changing down. I did it on the first day I rode a bike on the road and I still do it today, although I can't remember whether it's something I was told I should do by my Dad (former road-racer) or something I picked up from watching racing. It's easier on the bike.

Getting it absolutely spot-on also makes it sound good! This was especially the case on my old 350 twin. It's almost a sensuous experience.

Advertisement