Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any way to numb a dew claw?

• 23-08-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I have noticed that one of Tegan's dew claws has started to grow round in a circle. It's not touching her skin but I, obviously, want to clip it before it gets to the stage where it could dig into her. I trim the claws on her feet, which she hates, but she's always chewed her dew claws off so I didn't notice how long it had gotten.

I don't want to just clip it because going through the quick will hurt and make it even harder to trim at all. Is there anything I can do to numb the nail at home so I can cut it, or is it a case of going to the vet and getting a local anaesthetic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

kylith wrote: »
    I have noticed that one of Tegan's dew claws has started to grow round in a circle. It's not touching her skin but I, obviously, want to clip it before it gets to the stage where it could dig into her. I trim the claws on her feet, which she hates, but she's always chewed her dew claws off so I didn't notice how long it had gotten.

I don't want to just clip it because going through the quick will hurt and make it even harder to trim at all. Is there anything I can do to numb the nail at home so I can cut it, or is it a case of going to the vet and getting a local anaesthetic?

Can you just trim it a smidge with those clippers, then do the same next week? That's why I did as one of mine is a bit contrary ant hates getting them clipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

To be honest I'm worried that since I can only take a tiny smidge off, because her nails are black, it would grow faster than I could trim it. If at all possible I'd like to get half of it off in one go so she can go back to chewing on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

To be honest I'm worried that since I can only take a tiny smidge off, because her nails are black, it would grow faster than I could trim it. If at all possible I'd like to get half of it off in one go so she can go back to chewing on it.

I would be too afraid to trim black nails :eek: my girls' nails are grand to trim you can see the quick

Millem wrote: »
    I would be too afraid to trim black nails :eek: my girls' nails are grand to trim you can see the quick

It can be unnerving alright. When we trim her toe nails OH holds and distracts her and I trim a 1mm sliver off of as many nails as I can before she notices. They're not too bad because they get worn down on footpaths. I'm going mad that I didn't realise how long her due claw had gotten before now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Black nails are a curse, aren't they? My greyhound's nails are really too long but I'm loathe to hurt her so I just clip off little slivers but as you say, that's not enough. That said, as you approach the quick you'll see the centre of the nail (in transection) getting much darker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I use a multi tool for Bailey. He prefers it to a nail clippers and it's great to just grind a tiny bit back every few days if the nail has gotten too long. I've never gone as far as the quick with it but in theory the grinder with cauterise it and stop the bleeding.

That said if the dew claw is as long as you're saying and having had Bailey in agony for the best part of a week when he split his dew claw I'd think being going to the vet rather than risk her catching/breaking it!

This is the one I have :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-7700-Cordless-Rotary-Accessories/dp/B003BIFHJM/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1408867301&sr=8-11&keywords=Dremmel

tk123 wrote: »
    I use a multi tool for Bailey. He prefers it to a nail clippers and it's great to just grind a tiny bit back every few days if the nail has gotten too long. I've never gone as far as the quick with it but in theory the grinder with cauterise it and stop the bleeding.

That said if the dew claw is as long as you're saying and having had Bailey in agony for the best part of a week when he split his dew claw I'd think being going to the vet rather than risk her catching/breaking it!

This is the one I have :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-7700-Cordless-Rotary-Accessories/dp/B003BIFHJM/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1408867301&sr=8-11&keywords=Dremmel

I tried a grinder before, you'd have thought I was murdering her! Off to the vet then, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭piebaldskwbald

I'd recommend heading to the vet, he/she will be so used to clipping nails at this stage, it shouldn't be a bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I tried a grinder before, you'd have thought I was murdering her! Off to the vet then, I guess.

That's the mad thing with Bailey - he won't let me go near him with a nail clippers but is happy to have a power tool used on him instead! :rolleyes::p

Advertisement