Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herbert Road junction-caution

• 24-08-2014 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Quick word of warning folks.

Since the dawn of time the traffic light pattern hasn't changed at the junction of Herbert Road and Main St./Castle St., Bray-until now.

It's been resurfaced in the last couple of days so now, when coming from Herbert Rd., the left lane is for left turn and straight ahead (Quinsboro' Road) and the right lane for right turn up Main St. only. Caused a lot of confusion (and nearer misses) tonight even though it wasn't busy.

Be careful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Have they removed the left filter light as well then? If not then it sounds like a mistake with the road markings. In any case especially in the mornings when the markings are obscured by cars nobody will be any the wiser unless they've put up signs advising which lane to be in which would be a first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The left lane has always been left turn only

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I know but there is or at least was a left filter light there. If the lane is now for left turn and straight ahead then if the filter light is still there it might cause some confusion. Its an odd decision anyway as very little traffic turns right there anyway so you're effectively channelling two lanes worth of traffic into one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Used this junction again this morning but it was quiet so I don't know whether or not the left filter has been retained as I was the second car through. What I did notice is that there is only one directional arrow per lane and they are almost at the stop line. Both were obscured by other cars waiting at the red light and so had I not known of this change and intended travelling straight ahead I'd have gone to the right lane-as the one car in that lane had indeed done.

There are no advance warning signs of this change either....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Nassau

The filter light is still there (up until last Friday anyway) so that's going to be fun if you want to turn left and the car in front wants to go straight on.

Why change it?

• Advertisement

Just been down there, and the left filter light is still operational. Saw two instances of cars at the head of the queue who wanted to go straight ahead being honked at by cars behind when the filter went on.

My money's on it being a cock up by the road sign painters. Hope they correct it soon.

EDIT: I think I'm right. Here's a small section of the road layout plans from the Bray town council website ...

2ykjt4n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Just went past the junction-they're burning off the arrows as we speak

Just went past the junction-they're burning off the arrows as we speak
    Interesting! I was just driving away from the Herbert Rd. car park and saw a road markings lorry driving down there and joked to my wife that they were on their way to do that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

Fixed now! :)

Advertisement