Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meal bin

Options
  • 24-08-2014 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Any of ye guys know and how much would a 4 or 5 tonne meal bin cost. Sick of handling the bags!!!! Also where would I get one? In Kerry Cork area. Thanks peeps!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭grange mac

chippy78 wrote: »
    Any of ye guys know and how much would a 4 or 5 tonne meal bin cost. Sick of handling the bags!!!! Also where would I get one? In Kerry Cork area. Thanks peeps!

Pick up a second hand one from some of the dairy guys that are upgrading. Neighbours one has a lovely Crowley engineering sticker on his...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

try getting the meal in half tonne bags, has saved a huge amount of bags flying around here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

1500-1850 plus vat are the quotes i got last year. half ton bags are a disaster,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

I'm using the JFC half ton meal bin great job.Very mobile for feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Miname wrote: »
    1500-1850 plus vat are the quotes i got last year. half ton bags are a disaster,

They're better than loads of 25kg bags. Pallet truck helps movin them around de place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

How many tonne of meal do you feed per year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

Spirofeed in Mallow usually have a small ad in Saturdays examiner for new and secondhand bins. Worth a call

• Registered Users Posts: 22 chippy78

josephsoap wrote: »
    How many tonne of meal do you feed per year?

I'm only small time, 4 to 5 tonne only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

most lads have a 3 ton minimum delivery. yu dont want leaving it lying too long.

Miname wrote: »
    most lads have a 3 ton minimum delivery. yu dont want leaving it lying too long.

You mean leave it in the bin for too long yea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭nhg

Ya, think 3 months is the lifespan of the nuts we use... If only they lasted that long here...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

I'm only small time, 4 to 5 tonne only

I feed a similar amount myself,

I am just wondering would it make economic sence to purchasing one feeding that amont a year?

If so I might purchase one at some stage, however I will stick with the small bags for now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

ive fed 130 tonne of meal so far this year bucketing it out of skips for the teleporter

would love a meal bin but I think the solution to the problem is to feed no meal at all !!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

ive fed 130 tonne of meal so far this year bucketing it out of skips for the teleporter

would love a meal bin but I think the solution to the problem is to feed no meal at all !!:D:D

Agree with that. Investing in grass here so to reduce meal usage in the first place

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Spirofeed in Mallow often have a range of second hand ones. Some may have sections replaced. Bought a secondhand 20 tonne bin a few years ago with new top and bottom cone for less than half the price of new one. About 8k new at the time I think. You can claim back the VAT on a bin as its fixed to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Bins are not expensive and are very handy.
    But a small bin takes a 4ton load.
    Rations do have a shelf life of 3mths and a minimum order quantity for delivery is 3-4ton.

A better option would be a a portable bin that you could go and collect direct from the millers yard. Either lift/tow with tractor or tow behind your car/jeep. The jfc bin that can be lifted by a bale handler would be a good option. I don't like the idea of scooping out of them myself but I am probably overthinking it.

I like the idea of these but I don't know if it is practical to transport over a distance and if you have the ability to lift it about on the farm when full.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/feedingequipment-for-sale/meal-bin-meal-storage-cattle-sheep-feed/6016524

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

I got a 5 ton one for €1500 of a fella called Paudie Cooney, very happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

sako 85 wrote: »
    I got a 5 ton one for €1500 of a fella called Paudie Cooney, very happy with it

Can you PM me details please and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

I'll have to wait until I get home to get that number for you ellewood. Will PM this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Any luck sourceing that meal bin Chippy?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

I'm using the JFC half ton meal bin great job.Very mobile for feeding.

How much do these cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Pacoa wrote: »
    How much do these cost?

Around €250 give or take have it a couple of years now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Pacoa wrote: »
    How much do these cost?

local here are €280 for the standard one normally holds 650kg weanling mix

I bought 2 in derrylin for €200 each plus my vat number, that's 3 years ago

just buy a big scoop for filling the buckets as its a 1ft extension of your arm:pac:

mine are normally left outside all year long

Ill put in a bin sometime but our meal merchant is a desperate sound lad but doesn't fill bins :(

I worked it out that you save 80-100 euro on each jfc fill compared to bags

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I worked it out that you save 80-100 euro on each jfc fill compared to bags

3 fills and it's paid for. Jeez the bags are costing me a fortune :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TimTam82

Anyone know any other distributor besides Spirofeed and Crowley's for meal bins? Looking at a 10tonne along with a flexi augur system!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

TimTam82 wrote: »
    Anyone know any other distributor besides Spirofeed and Crowley's for meal bins? Looking at a 10tonne along with a flexi augur system!

Pe services Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Wheelie bins are handy for the small guy. Cheap and cheerful is the name of the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

TimTam82 wrote: »
    What about V Mac in Monaghan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 TimTam82

Ya got in contact with VMac already and kinda expensive due to distance! I'm in the Munster area. Just wondering is there any other suppliers in Munster that do bins and augur systems

Advertisement