Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 costs; planning...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Managed to get a job today, have both accommodation and job sorted now, which is great, now I can hopefully relax!

Can I ask how you have managed to sort accommodation and a job so early? I dont even know where to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mitch23

Do not book with usit. We are going with go4less and its nearly 500 Euro cheaper and you get to book your own flights . The best jobs if you have contacts are furniture moving or construction. if you want a nice job definitely go lifeguarding. Most beaches will pay around 550-680 dollars per week and on top of that you get paid commission for selling beach gear . You would be expected to swim 11 lenghts of a swimming pool in under 10 minutes. Some companies will give extra if you swim under a certain time . You will also need an occupational first aid cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mike.ryan.1992

112480698 wrote: »
    hey, were 3 21 yr old lads from galway looking for people to share accom with in san diego, I thought pacific beac in san diego looked like a great place to live, ye have any ideas/suggestions?

hey, im 22 from Limerick wanting to go on a J1 to the west coast/cali! Ye still looking for people to share accommodation with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NewYork2015

mitch23 wrote: »
    Do not book with usit. We are going with go4less and its nearly 500 Euro cheaper and you get to book your own flights . The best jobs if you have contacts are furniture moving or construction. if you want a nice job definitely go lifeguarding. Most beaches will pay around 550-680 dollars per week and on top of that you get paid commission for selling beach gear . You would be expected to swim 11 lenghts of a swimming pool in under 10 minutes. Some companies will give extra if you swim under a certain time . You will also need an occupational first aid cert.

Hey! I have a few questions - What would a construction worker be expected to be paid? What city are you basing your info off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Glenn Kearney

I'm going to New york from late june on a J1.

Does anyone know a good way of getting a bar or retail job there while in still in Ireland?

I'm 28 and have worked a fare bit in retail anyway, but I hear the bar jobs pay better on account of tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

Hi all,

Basically as my title says, I am late applying for the J1. I have only decided this week to go. Now, all my friends are going to San Francisco and I went to do the USIT J1 application online, but it said in the terms and conditions that California J1s were all gone.

I called USIT and the guy first said that yeah they're all gone, that means you cant fly directly into California on the J1 visa. He seemed to imply that I could just fly somewhere else first then onto SF. But he then went away to check with his supervisor and came back and casically said they cannot accept my application if they know I intend to circumvent it.

Now I know you are free to travel all around the US with the J1 visa, but would it be possible apply for the J1 to somewhere like Las Vegas, where, flight on to SF only cost about 50?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jjnaas

roguey wrote: »
    Hi all,

Basically as my title says, I am late applying for the J1. I have only decided this week to go. Now, all my friends are going to San Francisco and I went to do the USIT J1 application online, but it said in the terms and conditions that California J1s were all gone.

I called USIT and the guy first said that yeah they're all gone, that means you cant fly directly into California on the J1 visa. He seemed to imply that I could just fly somewhere else first then onto SF. But he then went away to check with his supervisor and came back and casically said they cannot accept my application if they know I intend to circumvent it.

Now I know you are free to travel all around the US with the J1 visa, but would it be possible apply for the J1 to somewhere like Las Vegas, where, flight on to SF only cost about 50?

Last year my brother went to SanFran but didn't find work. He met a guy in a hostel from Chicago whose dad had a diner so he flew out to Chicago and worked there for the summer. He had no issues as long as he got a job so I'm fairly sure you could do the same as long as you get a job in SF. Did you find out anything since?It's an interesting question actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I know I'm asking this well in advance but I'm hoping on going on a J1 to San Francisco the summer after next.

It's something I've wanted to do for ages but I'd want to start saving now!

Basically I'm wondering how much a J1 to San Francisco would cost including the flights and money I need to have in my bank account going over and every other expense involved :)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 moose522

Hey guys,

Me and a couple of friends are planning on heading to a J1 in Boston next summer and I was wishing to know how its like getting a job and accomidation over there. Is it easy?

FYI I am practically american and Ive been living here for 5 years so I dont need to pay for a visa jus flights and stuff (guess you dont need to call this a J1). I do have family over there that could set me up with a job but was just wondering do they take irish people up on work for the summer? I have no idea how the system is like. I worked as a bartender for a couple of years and was thinking do they take irish people on that too?

Any past experiences or helpful tips could go a long way. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chloesm94

Swel wrote: »
    Me and a friend are also going on a J1 next summer, looking at santa monica / san diego. If anyone has any advice or wants to join, the more the merrier!
    Both from waterford, 21/22 :)

Same with my group! San Fran too, just worried they'll nearly be overcrowded with people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Anyone thinking of Chicago? Visited it last year when I was travelling & fell in love! Went to Newport RI last summer (loved it, had an absolute ball!) but want to go to a city this time round, last year I went with 16 other friends whereas this year I think I'll be on my own so it'll be totally different! (Just depends on what happens in my degree really. . .)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 magpie1395

Hoping to do a J1 next summer to the east coast and was wondering which company USIT or Sayit is best to book with. I've heard good and reports on both and want to know people's experiences with them regarding price, helpfulness etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Looking around on prices for J1 visa. USIT is 399 if you get the early bird deal and that doesn't include the SERVIS fee, embassy fee. However, Go4Less is 95 and you just pay the required fees seperately where required.

For Go4Less, the cost is 455 not including flights and optional extras. That includes the SERVIS fee, embassy fee, insurance and the programme fee.

For USIT, it's 399 and says that additional fees include SERVIS and embassy fee. Doesn't include insurance afaik

Am I missing something? :confused: Why is USIT a lot more dearer than Go4Less?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 HelenaRose

Hi, me and a friend are looking to go to Boston this summer, we will probably use SAYIT, does anyone know if you can book your own flights with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

When would it be too late to apply for a j1 visa do ye think? Would mid February be too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Hey,

The title basically says it all. I'm going into my second year of college and I feel like doing a J1. I just have a few basic questions before I start looking into it properly.

-What companies are the best to do it with? I've only really heard of USIT, what are they like? Should I look into other companies?

-I know that you now have to have a job before you go over, which makes sense really, but how and when do I start applying? Realistically I will be going to the Los Angeles area. I have family in that part of the country who would be able to help me secure a job and house me for a few weeks before I can find my own place. Also, on the job front, is it possible to get something related to your degree? I'm studying Applied Physics in college and it'd be cool if I could get into a company over there in a related field, is that possible?

-Realistically I will be going alone, that doesn't really bother me. I'd like to say I'm an independent person. Do you reckon my J1 experience would be worse if I did it alone?

If anyone who has done a J1 previously has any info, please tell me! I'm fairly clueless to them.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 neil123

Hi,
    Thinking of going on a J1 to New York summer 2017, would just like to hear if anyone has any good tips in relation to accommodation hunting, was looking at NYU accommodation but really expensive.
    Let me know if any others are planing on going to NY
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CiaranSAFC16

Hi guys

First post here on boards so I don't know If I'm going about this the right way.

I'm just looking for a bit of information around a 4 month J1 VISA for the summer of 2017.
    Myself and 3 other lads are looking to go.
    They have had meetings with USIT but I am wondering if they are the best organisation to go with?
    I am also a Type 1 Diabetic. I have had it 9 years now and my HBA1C Levels have always been spot on. Would this effect my application for the J1 and is there any medical plans in place for J1 students over there i.e how would I be able to get my insulin, strips, lancets etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 galway2196

Hi Guys,

So I am starting this thread to gather as much information as I can before applying for a J1!

Fristly, what companies have people travelled with? USIT are the only one at the moment who have their applications open however I know they are not the cheapest compared to other companies offering J1 visas and have also heard their service isn't fantastic. So if anyone could share their experiences with any of the companies offering J1 visas that would be great!

Where would people suggest going? I'm thinking Chicago or New York but I'm open to anywhere really. My main concern is that I'm only going to be 20, turning 21 in the August so I wan't somewhere that would still be decent for 'nightlife'. I'm sure they are pretty strict over there with the whole age limit on drink and getting into clubs etc but any information on that would be appreciated :)

How have people in the past gone about sourcing accomodation? I know most people share with a fairly large number of others..there's only 3/4 of us planning on going so I don't even know where to start on the accomodation side of things.

Moneywise how much would people recommend bringing? I know you need a minimum of about $1000 before travelling over there but is that a realistic amount or would people advise bringing more?

I know this thread is really long but I would really appreciate any information anyone could provide about any part of the J1 application/experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 catherinek12

Hi, :pac::pac:

I just want to look into organizing my j1 next year for summer 2017 and thought this might be the best way to get some advice. :):rolleyes:
      Any advice on companies to choose for organizing it.. price-wise and for dealing with.. like sayit? j1online? USIT?:p
      Can you just organise the visa yourself? .. sort visa, job and flights?
      Main areas I'm looking to go is Huntington Beach, San Diego, San Fran.. any recommendations on the best place?
      Accommodation and jobs?

Any advice would be great :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hoop Dogg

Hey, Myself and a few friends are trying to organise our J1s to go to Los Angeles next year. If anyone could help me out with a few of these that would be great.

- We are all currently 19 (Two of us will be 20 if we go). Does that fact that we are under 21 in any way affect our ability to do anything besides the obvious ones (buy/sell drink, go to/work in nightclubs etc)?

- I am an American citizen so will not have to apply for a J1 so does anyone with a similar experience have any tips for getting employment?

- None of us currently hold a drivers licence. I plan on getting mine by Easter time, as does one other friend of mine. Will this affect our ability to drive in the states? Also how much would i need saved up for a car and is insurance necessary? I know how having a car is essential from living over there when i was younger.

- In general how much money would we need saved up before going?

- Any tips on accommodation in the LA area would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Anyone thinking of doing a J1 on the cheap, Dublin - LAX via Heathrow May 31st to Aug 24th, one stop each way for €336 with BA.

Search those dates on skyscanner or similar to get the price.

Just booked the same flights for my little brother who's going to be heading to San Diego for the summer and staying with a family friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 catherinek12

Hi currently looking in this aswel, from looking at other forums I noticed sayit seems to be very popular as it doesnt have as much bull**** charges hidden in their end charge. I have been to the states before ad in certain places they can be very sticky with id and in others you could bring a crayon picture and itd be grand. They recommend $1200 from other forums. You gotta think if you have not accom sorted 2/3 weeks in a hostel/ air bnb. On top of that living money if you dont start your job straight away. Also you need to consider starting out costs. Most US apartments and stuff come with nothing so like an air matress and stuff.

Thanks for the reply! I've actually booked my J1 for 2017 with Sayit and have to say the process has been very simple to date. They have been so helpful so I would highly recommend booking with them. I've been offered a number of jobs in various locations including New York City, Montauk, Rehoboth Beach and Ocean Beach but really don't even know what I want in terms of a location, so finding it difficult to decide. If anyone has every been or done a J1 in any of those locations I would appreciate any information!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 scrabtom

Hi, I'm about to drop out of college in the next three weeks, but intend on returning to another course next year. To get a J1 visa I have to get a form signed by my college for the J1 company. I could do this in the next three weeks, and then drop out. Does anyone know whether this makes me ineligible for the visa/would I get away with this?
    Thanks in advance for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Shinnaynay

I'm back 4 months from my J1 and it's time to apply for my tax back. But I've heard that there are cheaper options instead of using taxback.com. Can anyone recommend any alternative services? If you have done it without using a tax back service, how did you do it? Or even if you have used tax back.com this year, how much did they charge you for the service?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

galway2196 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply! I've actually booked my J1 for 2017 with Sayit and have to say the process has been very simple to date. They have been so helpful so I would highly recommend booking with them. I've been offered a number of jobs in various locations including New York City, Montauk, Rehoboth Beach and Ocean Beach but really don't even know what I want in terms of a location, so finding it difficult to decide. If anyone has every been or done a J1 in any of those locations I would appreciate any information!

Hey just wondering when you say you've been offered jobs is that through Sayit or have you gone looking for yourself? Just looking for jobs in Montauk but not sure where to start looking. Thanks

Hey just wondering when you say you've been offered jobs is that through Sayit or have you gone looking for yourself? Just looking for jobs in Montauk but not sure where to start looking. Thanks

I've applied through the SAYIT jobs database system which if you haven't paid your deposit you won't have access to. I've also looked by myself but got nowhere with that as most places have told me they do use different databases to find employees. SAYIT do have a few things for Montauk and the wage for them looks decent enough, as I was looking at going there but have decided against it now! Basically any job which I've been offered I've been offered through my Interexchange profile and not through me emailing employers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DiarmAFC

Hi last semester I dropped out of my course in 2nd year, I was planning on going to canada this summer but now my friends are thinking the states. I'm aware you've to be in third level to be eligible for the j1 visa, so I was wondering would it be possible for me to reregister this semester and then apply for j1 visa like normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 hooter17

well lads...heading to san fran/berkerly area late may/june for the year on my own...anyone looking to share accomodation or in a similar situation give me a shout! cheers

Advertisement