Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Lost I-Phone

• 24-08-2014 2:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Posting from a friends phone here.

Stupidly about an hour ago I let my iPhone fall out if my pocket when I went to pay for a taxi.

It has an 8 digit pin.

I'd like to keep my number.

So I throw myself at the knowledge of the boards posters.

What do I risk losing?

What should I do next?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Ps - The phone had 80% charge when I lost it and.is.now going straight to voicemail so I assume someone has found it and.turned.it off.

I have location services turned off but had installed 'find my iphone'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

Ps - The phone had 80% charge when I lost it and.is.now going straight to voicemail so I assume someone has found it and.turned.it off.

Have you tried to locate it using find my iphone ? any luck ?
    I would go to iCloud.com and send a message to the phone with a number they can contact you on for a small reward for the phones return as since you have a pin on the phone they will not be able to ring any numbers - is there a sim pin on it also after it's switched on ? If there is then ur goosed I think as they won't know that pin and the phone won't get signal to receive any messages.

Is it on ios7 ? If so the phone is no good to whom ever found it as when they try to restore it it asks for your iTunes password and can cannot be activated without it.

You won't lose your number no matter what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Get in touch with your network and ask them to send out another sim with your number on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Why would you have location services turned off?

Unless the taxi driver has it btw ring his company quote his taxi number and see has he handed it in to the dispatch office/faraday station.

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice, the phone is still going to voicemail but i´ll phone the network now and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Did you have the find my iPhone app or did you enable find my iPhone under iCloud? The first is of no use whatsoever unless you're trying to find another phone, won't work anyway as you had location services off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Always leave location services on for times like this. Hate to see threads like this which could have been avoided :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

Zcott wrote: »
    Always leave location services on for times like this. Hate to see threads like this which could have been avoided :-(

I'm skipping all answers do you have I cloud turned on please say you do ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

guil wrote: »
    Did you have the find my iPhone app or did you enable find my iPhone under iCloud? The first is of no use whatsoever unless you're trying to find another phone, won't work anyway as you had location services off.

Apple should get rid of the Find My iPhone app. A lot of people seem to be confused about what it actually does.

Apple should get rid of the Find My iPhone app. A lot of people seem to be confused about what it actually does.

Lots of my friends have it thinking they can search for their phone with it as well

• Advertisement

Doesn't work on an apple device.

Does it need to? The guy lost his phone. This locates it through a browser. It's all moot as he was silly to have his location services turned off.

I agree the find my iPhone app is a little oddly named though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

guil wrote: »
    Lots of my friends have it thinking they can search for their phone with it as well

They can search for their phones with it .

They can search for their phones with it .

You're missing the point. There's loads of people with iPhones that download the find my iPhone app and think by having it, they can search for that iPhone if it's lost or stolen. They don't realise the app is just for locating other idevices. To locate an iPhone the setting needs to be enabled under iCloud.

Hi All,

Icloud was enabled but shows all devices offline since the phone was switched off on the night i lost it. I assume this could also be because i didn't have location services enabled.

I didn't have location services enabled because i was under the impression it burns alot of battery and mine was terrible for battery life as is. I also haven't lost a phone in 10 years (thankfully), so i didn't think i'd need it.

Am i correct in saying that if the phone is connected to a wireless network, it would reflect as 'Online' on icloud?

Thanks for all posts.

Find my iPhone is a setting under iCloud but it's not on by default, even if iCloud is on that doesn't mean find my phone is.

The phone will never show online as you had location services turned off.

Why is 'location settings' tied to the phone being online (via a wireless network) for the purposes of icloud?

I've blocked the SIM at this point and highly doubt i'll see the phone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RealmOfFlames

Where did you lose it?

Madrid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 RealmOfFlames

****e. Best of luck with the hunt

Advertisement