Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant girlfriend on tourist visa

Options
  • 24-08-2014 4:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all. iv a few questions about imigration laws here if anyone can help. iv a fhilipino girlfriend now for about 2 years. been there 3 times. have been working on getting her a tourist visa this 12 months... not easy. iv been told last week its been approved at last. My problem is that i vistited there in may and she is now 3 months pregnant. so now we are thinking it would be good to have the baby here in ireland. I know my girlfriend wont get automatic citizenship but she might get residency ??
    could she get turned away at the airport if imigration see she is pregnant ? Im the father and a irish citizen. we were planning on her coming here in november. its a 2 month tourist visa we applied for. now she could come earlier and maybe her bump wont be as noticeable but she has a 3 year old son back home (not mine) and i dont want to keep her from him any longer than i have to...
    iv been told if she has the baby here then she can get residency and then apply to take her other son here. is this correct and how long can all this take ?
    I dont want to seperate her from her other son at all but she only got her tourist visa because her son at home is seen as a good obligation to return home.

any advise much apprecieated... thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

delvindave wrote: »
    Hi all. iv a few questions about imigration laws here if anyone can help. iv a fhilipino girlfriend now for about 2 years. been there 3 times. have been working on getting her a tourist visa this 12 months... not easy. iv been told last week its been approved at last. My problem is that i vistited there in may and she is now 3 months pregnant. so now we are thinking it would be good to have the baby here in ireland. I know my girlfriend wont get automatic citizenship but she might get residency ??
    could she get turned away at the airport if imigration see she is pregnant ? Im the father and a irish citizen. we were planning on her coming here in november. its a 2 month tourist visa we applied for. now she could come earlier and maybe her bump wont be as noticeable but she has a 3 year old son back home (not mine) and i dont want to keep her from him any longer than i have to...
    iv been told if she has the baby here then she can get residency and then apply to take her other son here. is this correct and how long can all this take ?
    I dont want to seperate her from her other son at all but she only got her tourist visa because her son at home is seen as a good obligation to return home.

any advise much apprecieated... thanks in advance

I'm not sure if anyone on this forum would know off hand regarding residency or visa options available in your situation. Perhaps someone on the legal discussion forum could shed some light?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I have no knowledge on visas. However I know you could marry her and all problems would be solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

PLL wrote: »
    I have no knowledge on visas. However I know you could marry her and all problems would be solved.

Does not need to marry, child does not need to be born here as the child will on birth be an irish citizen.

There are a number of options OP which can be pursued on entry or from the OH home country. I would strongly advise getting proper legal advice from a solicitor who knows what they are doing. There are about a dozen such solicitors at a guess in ireland. If your local solicitor does not have the experience they can instruct a barrister in this area again a couple of dozen in the country who know this area.

Advertisement