Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nappy leaking at night :(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Does he need the bottle to go to sleep? Sometimes giving the last liquids half an hour to an hour before bed and changing them after can help. Mine would have done this and used a dodie to get to sleep.

He needs to go to sleep by 7.30, he would rub his eyes etc. He won't take a soother. He gets his dinner at 4.39/5 so then a bottle at 7.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we the exact same probably here. he is 17 weeks and in size 3 new born, we have tried every kinda of nappy and every morning he is saturated.

going to tried the dispoable liners. where do you get them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I have a packet of flip disposable liners I got with my connecta (free gift) if anyone would like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

John Mason wrote: »
    we the exact same probably here. he is 17 weeks and in size 3 new born, we have tried every kinda of nappy and every morning he is saturated.

going to tried the dispoable liners. where do you get them?

I'm not sure where you get them but id hazzard a guess and say you can prob get them where you buy the cloth nappies? Or perhaps ring mothercare, boots or tesco and ask if they sell them? Perhaps someone who uses the cloth nappies can answer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

We started giving or oldest a smaller sized bottle before his bedtime, the bottle itself is half the size of the regular ones, but he still thought he was getting the same amount as it was still full. Sneaky daddy. :)

As for people saying you're over feeding them, we found that with both of them, they will only ever eat/drink whatever is enough for them, sometimes it was half what they normally eat, other times it was one and a half times, but we never ever force it in to them and let them tell us what they need and it's worked perfectly, with any significant weight gain always trending to be directly before a growth spurt which would cancel out any small amount of extra pudge, which I imagine is just as nature intended.

Also, you can't really go wrong if you're following the Annabel Karmel book, it's pretty spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Which Pampers were you using? Baby-Dry are much better than ActiveFit for night-time use (I honestly don't think it's just a marketing ploy, in my experience!)

i found exactly the opposite, the activefit kept our toddler dry all night, while the normal green ones (and any other brand we tried) were leaking every night.

hope you find a good nappy, nothing worse than soaked babies in the morning!

galah wrote: »
    i found exactly the opposite, the activefit kept our toddler dry all night, while the normal green ones (and any other brand we tried) were leaking every night.

hope you find a good nappy, nothing worse than soaked babies in the morning!

Thanks. We bought size 5 green pampers baby dry to try tonight. Fingers crossed it will work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Let us know how you get on. We had our first leak the other day ... except it was a poo ... and it was during the day. Not pleasant! :eek: We're only just moving out of Size 3 Pampers now.

Let us know how you get on. We had our first leak the other day ... except it was a poo ... and it was during the day. Not pleasant! :eek: We're only just moving out of Size 3 Pampers now.

We were going great on pampers and then they let us down (size 4) in Starbucks of all places with poo down the legs and he was wearing shorts!!!
    He ended up going around stillorgan in a t shirt and a nappy!! Thank god it was a hot day!!!! There is nowhere in the centre to buy baby clothes!
    Ever since then it's been pretty much down hill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

Millem wrote: »
    Flip do you think I need 5+?? Not 5?

ye we skipped the 5 and use 5+, but only at night time, otherwise he's in a 4+

• Advertisement

shane. wrote: »
    ye we skipped the 5 and use 5+, but only at night time, otherwise he's in a 4+

I ordered both from amazon. OH bought 5s today so fingers crossed! I looked at minimum weight for 5 and if was 11kg whereas 5+ said 13kg. Is your baby big too?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

I ordered both from amazon. OH bought 5s today so fingers crossed! I looked at minimum weight for 5 and if was 11kg whereas 5+ said 13kg. Is your baby big too?

ye he's big!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I have no idea of his weight? :confused: he was 20lbs at 4 months :eek: his weight and height were 96th percentile.

I think he is very heavy (not fat though) ;) he wears 9-12, 12-18 month clothes depending on brand. I would say he is 13kg if not just under as he is just coming out of the baby car seat (in height)

My son is 13.1 kg and is in size 5's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

Every morning for the last 2 weeks my 7 month old has woke up wet :( all the way through to his vest, babygrow and growbag.

I have tried lid, aldi, dunnes, in size 4 and even bought pampers baby 4+and he is still wet. All of the nappies are grand during the day. (And used to be grand at night)

He gets a 6oz bottle at 7pm and will sleep till 7am. If I change him in his sleep at say 10/11 he will be dry in the morning. (I don't want to do this).

Does anyone have suggestions ? Thanks a mil

My baba is a year now and she's a wee toot, albeit long. I've had her in size 5 nappies for months now. They are very big on her but I just like to know that she won't leak, I had a few accidents too. She hasn't had any since I put her in the bigger nappies. No harm in going a few sizes up if you need to.

We had a dry night!!!! Size 5s did the job Thanks a mil :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we had 2 dry nights with 3plus.

fingers crossed it will last

John Mason wrote: »
    we had 2 dry nights with 3plus.

fingers crossed it will last

We had maybe 3 wet nights since I last posted :(
    He woke up absolutely soaked today as he slept for 13 hours. I have ordered 5+ from amazon so a hopefully they will work

We had maybe 3 wet nights since I last posted :(
    He woke up absolutely soaked today as he slept for 13 hours. I have ordered 5+ from amazon so a hopefully they will work

Have you tried the disposable liners at all?

I'd be worried that if you go a size too big, they'd leak even more, because there'd be gaps at the side, if you know what I mean!

The issue might just be that (a) he's feeding (and therefore weeing) more than the average baby, for whom the nappies are designed. And (b) that he's sleeping so well, and for longer than most babies, so obviously more wee will collect.

Neither of these things are "problems" as such, in fact both are brilliant things! :D Who doesn't want a baby that feeds and sleeps so well!

But I'm thinking that the size/shape/brand of the nappies isn't what's causing the leaks, moreso the fact that the absorption just isn't adequate for the quantity of liquid. So the disposable liners could very well solve the problem for you. I think it's worth a try!

Have you tried the disposable liners at all?

I'd be worried that if you go a size too big, they'd leak even more, because there'd be gaps at the side, if you know what I mean!

The issue might just be that (a) he's feeding (and therefore weeing) more than the average baby, for whom the nappies are designed. And (b) that he's sleeping so well, and for longer than most babies, so obviously more wee will collect.

Neither of these things are "problems" as such, in fact both are brilliant things! :D Who doesn't want a baby that feeds and sleeps so well!

But I'm thinking that the size/shape/brand of the nappies isn't what's causing the leaks, moreso the fact that the absorption just isn't adequate for the quantity of liquid. So the disposable liners could very well solve the problem for you. I think it's worth a try!

I was back to work this week so didn't get a chance to search for those liners. He doesn't drink more than normal only around 20oz milk now per day. Maybe 3 oz max of water. The two leaks were only small, but last nights was soaking. I think it was because OH gave him 9oz at 4pm when he usually only gets 5oz.

They leak up at belly not at legs :( I thought good old aldi would solve the problem but their 4+ nappies have not got that crazy padding in that the size 2s had when we used them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I was back to work this week so didn't get a chance to search for those liners. He doesn't drink more than normal only around 20oz milk now per day. Maybe 3 oz max of water. The two leaks were only small, but last nights was soaking. I think it was because OH gave him 9oz at 4pm when he usually only gets 5oz.

They leak up at belly not at legs :( I thought good old aldi would solve the problem but their 4+ nappies have not got that crazy padding in that the size 2s had when we used them.

Change him when you're going to bed yourself maybe so he has a fresh nappy on for the longest part of the night?

Might not wrk if he's a light sleeper though.

• Advertisement

Change him when you're going to bed yourself maybe so he has a fresh nappy on for the longest part of the night?

Might not wrk if he's a light sleeper though.

Yes I think that will defo work but I would prefer not to do it :(

But really nappies aren't designed for 12-13 hours usage, are they?

My own baby would sleep maybe 9pm-7am, and never wakes up (which is great!), but I feel that even those hours are pushing it. Any longer and he'd definitely be leaking, I reckon. Besides, I wouldn't want him to be sitting in a wee-filled nappy for any longer. It can't be good for their skin, can it?

It's brilliant that he sleeps so well, but I think that a nappy change when you're going to bed yourself is maybe the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

this may be stating the obvious, but make sure his penis is pointing down when you put the nappy on, got caught a few times by this....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

But if it works surely it's the solution until such time as he doesn't leak. Be better for him too not to be wet and surely preferable for you having to launder sheets, clothes and bedding no? :)

Nappies should stay dry for 12 hours... Well the pampers baby dry should anyway. It states it on the pack. Our fella now at 22 months. Takes the equivalent of say 5 bottles (milk and water) per day. He sleeps 7.30pm till 8am with no leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Making sure his penis is facing down is good advice. It sounds like he sleeps on his belly and if his penis is pointing up, that would explain the leaks too.

Is he sipping away on a drink all day? If so, night-time could be when it all comes out. You could try "frontloading" his drinks, making sure he gets the majority of his drinks early in the day and then the evening is his meal and a bottle at settling-down time.

Changing him at night can be a faff, but if you use a pull-up, it might be less likely to wake him.

Making sure his penis is facing down is good advice. It sounds like he sleeps on his belly and if his penis is pointing up, that would explain the leaks too.

Is he sipping away on a drink all day? If so, night-time could be when it all comes out. You could try "frontloading" his drinks, making sure he gets the majority of his drinks early in the day and then the evening is his meal and a bottle at settling-down time.

Changing him at night can be a faff, but if you use a pull-up, it might be less likely to wake him.

I always make sure his penis is pointing down. He gets his bottles at 7am 11am, 3pm and 7pm. He doesn't sip away at a drink all day. Yes he keeps on his tummy

I always make sure his penis is pointing down. He gets his bottles at 7am 11am, 3pm and 7pm. He doesn't sip away at a drink all day. Yes he keeps on his tummy

Maybe try cutting a bottle? That's what our creche are suggesting we do at the moment, they seem very well educated on all things feeding-related, so I trust them a lot. What they've suggested is giving a full morning and evening bottle, but halving the size of the daytime bottles, before switching to just one. Of course, he's eating loads as well, so he's not going to go hungry!

Millem, when our fella turned 7 months our PHN told me he should only be getting 3 bottles milk per day. The aptimal tin recommends 3 per day aswell. You could try cutting out a bottle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

My little man has just turned 2 and whether we point it down or not, some nights it just has a mind of its own and he has leaks, like yours, up his belly!! We've tried folding the front of the nappy in a little bit at his stomach,don't know if it helps or not!

Advertisement