Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Ballyfermot

• 24-08-2014 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi

I'm looking for some opinions, we are a couple with a small child and found a place to rent with great parameters for us (it's so difficult to rent at the mo). It's in Ballyfermot Crescent.

I have read all the reviews I could find and it seems the area is very mixed so it all depends on the actual road you live in. I understand that it is a tight knit community with working class people who mostly are from there, which I have no problems with (we've lived in Belfast for 7 years so got our fair share of that). But we are not from here (not even Irish), we are moving to Dublin for work.

Would we have any trouble there? Is that a good place for a family? Honest opinions please!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ballyfermot cresent right in the middle of ballyfermot, on one end of it you have what we used to call the playground,now it's a updated version of that,with all wether football pitches etc,On the other end you have the main road with all the shops taxis buses you could want, either into the city centre or up to liffyvally,not forgetting the 18 and 26x that go to sandy mount and the square in tallaght.

It's a small enough road and as far and I know there are quite a few non Irish already living there,like everywhere the majority of people are grand and I am sure you be more than welcomed into there community. Wish you the best of luck and let's us know how you get on. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bern14

Thanks for the reply.

We went to see it today with the family and it seemed perfectly fine. It actually reminds me of most parts of Belfast, which I believe Dublin must have been like before the Celtic Tiger hit.

The houses and yards were nothing fancy but clean and tidy, I saw less litter than in the streets of any big UK city and the location is really handy. We couldn't see the house from inside, the tenants are still in it but I have a gut feeling we will go for it! I will let you know in a few months if it was a good decision! :) thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭adonai

how is going, any update on your living? Planning to move to similar area- any comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bern14

Hey, we have been living there for the past 10 months and it's been great. People are nice, not a bother and it's fairly close to town. My only downer is the shops aren't that great (sometimes the selection is fairly limited to processed & junk food) and there could be more cafes or family eateries. But it's just personal preference. All in all, Ballyfermot is great!

wow, that's something good to hear.

I post another topic

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057437437
    Hi guys, I am looking for any info re current state of the neighbourhood, Cherry Orchard Ave, Cedarbrook and all... Heard various stories in the past, but I didn't found anything recently (most bad opinions are like from 2010-2012 and ofc before that)

Is it safe to live there now? Any issues with anti social behavior?

Would I be killed when walking down from nitelink through Ballyfermot Rd?
    Or eventually robbed when going back with my veggies from Lidl?

I appreciate any advice.

sorry for copying ;) then I started to look down for opinions about Cherry Orchard/Ballyfermot and they didn't made me smile. :)

• Advertisement

any update on this? no anti-social behavior in the area spotted? Can anyone else comment, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Probably not what you want to hear but I personally wouldn't live there. I drive a lot with work and during the boom I'd regularly pull in to get some take away lunch or whatever. Now I keep going til I get to palmerstown or Lucan. A lot of unemployment which leads to social issues. The area just feels unsafe and edgy, could be just me though I'm a bit fussy.

Delighted to see bern14 likes it, maybe I'm wrong. Google cherry orchard and crime or drugs. Might shed some light and help you decide. How much is the rental btw?

Probably worth asking if you have kids or are living alone? Might be ok for a few guys or a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mslavka

Bern14 wrote: »
    Hey, we have been living there for the past 10 months and it's been great. People are nice, not a bother and it's fairly close to town. My only downer is the shops aren't that great (sometimes the selection is fairly limited to processed & junk food) and there could be more cafes or family eateries. But it's just personal preference. All in all, Ballyfermot is great!

Hi there,

do you have any update on Ballyfermot area? We are moving next month to the house on Garryowen road (opposite of Markievicz park). I am confused if this area was the best choice as we heard some quite terrifying stories recently

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭trashcan

Probably not what you want to hear but I personally wouldn't live there. I drive a lot with work and during the boom I'd regularly pull in to get some take away lunch or whatever. Now I keep going til I get to palmerstown or Lucan. A lot of unemployment which leads to social issues. The area just feels unsafe and edgy, could be just me though I'm a bit fussy.

Delighted to see bern14 likes it, maybe I'm wrong. Google cherry orchard and crime or drugs. Might shed some light and help you decide. How much is the rental btw?

Probably worth asking if you have kids or are living alone? Might be ok for a few guys or a couple.

In fairness there is a bit of a difference between Cherry Orchard and Lower/Middle Ballyfermot. I've lived in Ballyer all my life and never really had a problem. No doubt there are some scumbags, but I doubt it's any worse than any other working class area. Most of it is quiet enough. (I live close enough to the Crescent Bern14 mentioned)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I have family who live on that road. It's fine. Can't say if it'll terrify you or not as that's up to your own perception but most people living there get on with their own business with very little complaints/hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Also googling any area with crime/drugs will give you skewed results. No one writes an article about people getting on with their lives

Hi guys,

thanks for confirming my feeling about the area. I am sure we will find many nice people there who will not mind having foreigners in their neighborhood :) And some scumbags you can find anywhere even in the posh and polished streets.

the very place where we live (Cherry Orchard ave) is pretty safe.

from time to time you can see lively looking youths here and there but so far no problems for us. I must admit that it's been fairly ok, however there were reports regarding places closer to the centre of Ballyfermot (so north from Park West/south Cherry Orchard) - buses were cancelled and not going to the Park West area through Cherry Orchard due to stoning and antisocial behavior and so on... but again, Dublin Bus could do better I suppose. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vsample

Hello there,

*New to boards.ie*

Sorry for replying to an very old thread, I couldn't find any other thread related.

I would like to get some opinions on ballyfermot crescent, Avenue, Parade, I see mixed reviews in general for ballyfermot but not much reviews are recent. Probably ballyfermot had a bad reputation in past? not anymore or it still does?

Could someone please share your opinions on ballyfermot crescent/Avenue/Parade?

In some threads people mentioned that ballyers only prefer locals, is it still the case?

Thanks in advance for your reply

We moved to Ballyfermot almost 2 years ago and so far it's pretty safe and OK. We moved here as complete strangers not even outside of Ballyfermot but from different country. People we met were always very nice and friendly and ready to help. The proximity to the city center is amazing, having bus every 10-15 mins is great too. You have plenty different facilities there (schools, shops, pharmacy, dentist, GP), although I really miss some decent coffee and/or restaurant as most of the eateries along Ballyfermot road are curry & chippers. There' Aldi and Tesco close to Ballyfermot crescent and Tesco home delivery serves also this area. You can see groups of teenagers wandering the streets during some nights, but usually they mind their own business and won;t care. Some minuses - we had some eggs thrown on our house this autumn - no harm done, just annoying cleaning. But what I heard this can happen elsewhere in Dublin. Sometimes we've seen stolen bins burned down in the middle of park close to our house - again seems not to be exclusively Ballyfermot thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vsample

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience @mslavka, I was so concerned about this.

Thanks again!

Advertisement