Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statue for Kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

you never once mentioned him till last week now you want a statue for him

Reminds me a bit of this (will make no sense if people aren't Simpsons fans though!)

5YeGQB.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Reminds me a bit of this (will make no sense if people aren't Simpsons fans though!)

5YeGQB.jpg

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Burns%27_Dog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

A statue for Walter who? I hope when 'Callan becomes iconic' that they have the funds to clean the fuggin' river, never mind build a statue :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I nominate Foxy for his/her own statue/trophy for their outstanding contribution to open debate about all things kilkenny/callan/tesco......

computertrophy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

What about this lady

article-1347274-0022BB5A00000258-308_634x398.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

catbear wrote: »
    I nominate Foxy for his/her own statue/trophy for their outstanding contribution to open debate about all things kilkenny/callan/tesco......

Don't forget Aldi ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hubert Butler?

Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Grief, Hubert Butler, how the hell did we miss him from the Hall of Fame, if you haven't read the Wikipedia about Hubert, please do so it is enlightening and a revelation.
    I will try amazon to see if there is a book to download or failing that the Book Centre, honestly apart from naming the gallery in the castle after Hubert and Peggy what else has our infamous council done to preserve the man's name?
    It would appear Kilkenny is a cultural wonderland, who else have we forgotten, it is time to make amends, come on Kilkenny be proud of our past.
    Foxy and thanks Randylonghorn brill.

No one appears to have had any idea's of late regarding the statue, really Kilkenny looks unfinished without something on the mayors walk, a statue would really set it off, tourists love em, take my picture, Kilkenny memory, even a statue of a salmon would be something let alone some of the iconic residents of the county.
    When the film hits Walter is going to be well known, can't help putting this in, many years ago a bell was put up on the side of the road before you turn into Callan what it depicted anyone know and why has it got lost in the shrubbery?
    Curious Foxy

When the film hits Walter is going to be well known,

What film?
    Its a tv show - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3514324/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Cabaal wrote: »
    What film?

don't you dare correct him I think he knows more about the guy he only heard of last week than you do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Thud

Cabaal wrote: »
    What film?

Might want to put that Walter statue on hold:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91699701

Seriously we really need a statue on the mayors walk, no self respecting city would be without one, if we can't have Walter, what about James Hoban, from a tourist aspect he designed the most well known house in the free world, we have probably more Americans than other nationalities, honestly what a cultural talking point for them to see James proudly standing on the parade.
    If the council cannot afford it why not public donations or perhaps one of our politicians could make a donation, which is really only giving back our money.
    I reckon we could use James for the CAS Hoban's Way, it has a nice ring to it. I guess if someone insists I become the statue, well what could I say.
    Ever-ready Foxy

Seriously we really need a statue on the mayors walk, no self respecting city would be without one, if we can't have Walter, what about James Hoban, from a tourist aspect he designed the most well known house in the free world, we have probably more Americans than other nationalities, honestly what a cultural talking point for them to see James proudly standing on the parade.
    If the council cannot afford it why not public donations or perhaps one of our politicians could make a donation, which is really only giving back our money.
    I reckon we could use James for the CAS Hoban's Way, it has a nice ring to it. I guess if someone insists I become the statue, well what could I say.
    Ever-ready Foxy

Found out who Hoban was this week??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Might be obvious, what about a statue of a cat? Symbol of the city and county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I would love a statue of two cats upright holding a hurl each clashing to be placed on the Parade.

holyhead wrote: »
    I would love a statue of two cats upright holding a hurl each clashing to be placed on the Parade.

I would cringe at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I would cringe at that

Each to one's own :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

http://m.kilkennypeople.ie/news/kilkenny-news/powerful-looking-hurling-statue-for-parade-1-5901741
    8a8tDj.jpg
    This one (taken from 6 month old thread) is going up somewhere, so maybe that's their statue budget splurged.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

No one appears to have had any idea's of late regarding the statue, really Kilkenny looks unfinished without something on the mayors walk, a statue would really set it off, tourists love em, take my picture, Kilkenny memory, even a statue of a salmon would be something let alone some of the iconic residents of the county.
    When the film hits Walter is going to be well known, can't help putting this in, many years ago a bell was put up on the side of the road before you turn into Callan what it depicted anyone know and why has it got lost in the shrubbery?
    Curious Foxy

If anyone can locate some independent info confirming Walters abilities, success and genius status I will make the statue myself - as it stands the only source to verify his super powers is himself so I'm yet to be convinced.
    Sorry Fox, don't mean to wreck your buzz!
    In all fairness even if none of it is true, he has achieved something brilliant in convincing CBS to make a show about him...

• Advertisement

Seriously are you actually a mason? If a positive answer would the corpo accept a statue?
    Some good idea's floating around, we honestly do need a statue, tourists love sitting on the plinths, we have nothing.
    How do we get the corpo to act, not some time in the future, now.
    Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Seriously are you actually a mason? If a positive answer would the corpo accept a statue?
    Some good idea's floating around, we honestly do need a statue, tourists love sitting on the plinths, we have nothing.
    How do we get the corpo to act, not some time in the future, now.
    Foxy

yes..I am the third best mason in the world...and have the powers to save the world with my super trowel skills...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

The only person in KK that deserves a statue is yer hulring manager. The team was getting old, starting to loose some games when no one thought they would, some folks were excited at the thought of Kilkennys demise but one man put a halt to that when others thought the era of domination was over. Brian Cody deserves recognition for what he has done for hurling in yer county. If it isnt done now it will in years to come. He is surely the games greatest manager and he above all deserves something to celebrate that.

obezyana wrote: »
    The only person in KK that deserves a statue is yer hulring manager. The team was getting old, starting to loose some games when no one thought they would, some folks were excited at the thought of Kilkennys demise but one man put a halt to that when others thought the era of domination was over. Brian Cody deserves recognition for what he has done for hurling in yer county. If it isnt done now it will in years to come. He is surely the games greatest manager and he above all deserves something to celebrate that.

Recognition for doing his job at an amatuer sport that virtually **** all people in the world cares about. I'm going to say no to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Recognition for doing his job at an amatuer sport that virtually **** all people in the world cares about. I'm going to say no to that

So KK people need something that people all over the world care about???? how about Bono or Obama......sure everyone knows them. Btw there is plenty of people who love the amatuer sport and its KK who has dominated that for a long time thanks to their manager, plus this statue thats being suggested is for KK people and it should celebrate KK not just some thing that a tourist will relate to.

Well now, Brian Cody deserves the finest accolade the city can bestow on him, I guess that means a statue and a naming, I would think a plinth at the new bridge would ensure everyone crossing the Nore will see Brian for years to come, as much as I am not in favour of the CAS or what is anticipated for the brewery site; however a river walk way named the Brian Cody walk, there must be better suggestions than mine.
    To ensure we get a statue, our god forsaken council will probably do eff all, we should have a public donation, provided of course the council cannot get their grubby hands on it.
    Cody for Kilkenny spare a euro or five euro's, he has really done us proud.
    Foxy votes for Cody for statue one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Surely the important thing in choosing a statue is what the local population care about, not some randomer from Minsk, Shanghai, or wherever...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

ok born in Carlow but family & property in Kilkenny
    Myles Keogh

Myles Walter Keogh was born on the 25th March 1840 at Orchard, Leighlinbridge, Co. Carlow to John and Margaret Keogh. His mother was previously Margaret Blanchfield of Clifden, Clara, Co Kilkenny. Myles was left the property in Clifden
    Myles horse was the only survivor of the battle of the little big horn

American tourists would flock even more to Kilkenny

That was well researched, so what was the horses name, they make super stat6ues, perhaps we could put Keogh on the horse, a bit like Robin Williams in the film of the night at the museum.
    Foxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

That was well researched, so what was the horses name, they make super stat6ues, perhaps we could put Keogh on the horse, a bit like Robin Williams in the film of the night at the museum.
    Foxy

The horse was Comanche

Advertisement