Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statue for Kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Is should be nowhere near the parade or the castle.
    Should be outside nowlan park

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Recognition for doing his job at an amatuer sport that virtually **** all people in the world cares about. I'm going to say no to that

So talent, determination, resilience, achievement and modesty only matter if they're displayed in a paid-up sphere that the rest of the world approves of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

It appears Brian has a lot of friends, from a Hurling point of view I understand the reasons, okay go a step further why not rename Nowlan Park to Parc Brian Cody, yes and a fine statue of the man at the main entrance.
    However we have got Commanche on the parade Keogh's horse who survived the battle of the Little Big Horn, we still need something on the Parade or similar position, come on we are a tourist hub give the paying customers a moment of glory.
    I suppose a teddybear on one end of the new bridge and a fox on the other end, okay think about it.
    Seriously James Hoban looks good, or Walter.
    Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

It appears Brian has a lot of friends, from a Hurling point of view I understand the reasons, okay go a step further why not rename Nowlan Park to Parc Brian Cody, yes and a fine statue of the man at the main entrance.
    However we have got Commanche on the parade Keogh's horse who survived the battle of the Little Big Horn, we still need something on the Parade or similar position, come on we are a tourist hub give the paying customers a moment of glory.
    I suppose a teddybear on one end of the new bridge and a fox on the other end, okay think about it.
    Seriously James Hoban looks good, or Walter.
    Foxy
    Seriously do you just google kilkenny people, famous, important and just throw up the results

Fair comment, answer is no, finding famous Kilkenny people is difficult there unfortunately have not been too many, who would you suggest?
    Brian Cody, if you are a hurling fan is an obvious choice, as a county Hurling reigns supreme, so there is a good reason for a number of people.
    James Hoban, everytime America is spoken about on the television a picture of the White House appears, designed by a native of Kilkenny, doesn't it make you feel proud?
    As far as I know we haven't had a statesman or politician worthy of such an accolade, the religious element has been killed off by what has gone and really no one looks at awe of these gentlemen of the cloth.
    Keogh and his horse Commanche that was not really serious, well researched you must admit.
    With all these things it is far easier to condemn a suggestion than to add to it, however one hopes you will join in the spirit of the thread and come up with a viable candidate, other than myself of course.

Have a nice day Foxy

• Advertisement

Another thought on the subject, one that no one has even touched on, Kilkenny is famous for it's milk and beef, why not have a statue of a bull on the parade, we may well have a champion, perhaps someone knows?
    I remember going to Moffat in Scotland a few years ago, in the middle of the main street was a statue of a very large sheep, so why have a person.
    The horse commanche it appears was not Irish, it's parentage was unknown.
    Farming is a mainstay of Kilkenny economy.

Anyone know who Bateman was and how the quay got it's name, please

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

I heard one of the AA roadwatch crew a year or so ago warn drivers of delays due to resurfacing works in Kilkenny on "Batman Quay" ....

...now theres an idea for a statue...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Cabaal wrote: »
    The monument built outside of Callan for Hoban was designed and built by architect students from America. They hold the man in high regard.

So while you might be quick to make little of it it says alot about our history and culture when we have to have people from another country to built a monument for a person.,..and even then people like yourself are quick to put it down.

Also has more fame then just the White House in Washington, he also designed Leinster house in Dublin.

As for your comparison to a public toilet, you must go to the toilet in some odd places if this is what you think a public toilet looks like

5318659fc07a806cd9000115_travis-price-s-spirit-of-place-the-antidote-to-sprawl-mall-and-tall-_2014-02-27-hoban2008finishedarch_09-530x354.jpg

Saw this for the first time yesterday.....my god what were these students on when designing this? It looks nothing like the picture. From the road it does look like a public toilet. Its not even sign posted from the main road.
    Its even got fencing around some of it as its falling apart.
    How a statue to the man was overlooked for this monstrosity I don't know

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Saw this for the first time yesterday.....my god what were these students on when designing this? It looks nothing like the picture. From the road it does look like a public toilet. Its not even sign posted from the main road.
    Its even got fencing around some of it as its falling apart.
    How a statue to the man was overlooked for this monstrosity I don't know

Lack of sign posts is a issue for the council to address,
    Damage to it is for the council to address

In this instance I'd say the council were happy to have people from america come over and build something at no cost to them,

• Advertisement

Lack of sign posts is a issue for the council to address,
    Damage to it is for the council to address

In this instance I'd say the council were happy to have people from america come over and build something at no cost to them,

Could have picked a better location for it though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's beside his place of birth

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As pointed out its where he was born so its a very suitable place,

If the council want to build something else somewhere else they can, nothing at all stopping them :) But makes perfect sense to have something where he was born,

It's beside his place of birth

Yes I understand why its there but looking at it from the road it doesn't look anything like the picture above so very few people passing would even know what it is

Where exactly around Callan is this monument? I'd like to go and see it. I never heard anything about it until now.

Hi come to Ballymack cross on the Callan road, depending which direction you are coming from, take the R691 road to Cashel and Ballingary. go round the bends at the start of the road about 1 mile and the thing is on the left just before the small bridge, it is a sort of island the road well track goes round it.
    Something is wrong with it as there is fencing against it, but enjoy the moment, by the way there was a sign at one time on the main drag but that has gone.
    Some tribute to a great man, well done Kilkenny Corp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I had a quick Google, there was a James Bateman listed as a Grocer and Liquor Dealer in the 1788 Lucas Directory for Kilkenny. Maybe his place backed onto the quay?

PS The business was on John Street.

Well done, guess that is probably how come the quay got it's name, good job he wasn't called Tesco, however with developments on the bridge it could be changed to, no; we will leave it as it is, thanks
    Foxy

Since Walter got a mention in this thread,

Oh dear, it seems the show "losely" based on him called Scorpian has already Jumped The Shark in its very first episode

The guy driving the car is supposed to be Walter from what I can see,

http://io9.com/scorpion-brings-the-stupidest-most-bat****-insane-hack-1638333877?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Since Walter got a mention in this thread,

Oh dear, it seems the show "losely" based on him called Scorpian has already Jumped The Shark in its very first episode

The guy driving the car is supposed to be Walter from what I can see,

http://io9.com/scorpion-brings-the-stupidest-most-bat****-insane-hack-1638333877?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Oh dear, that was ridiculous. TV forum saying it's got cancellation written all over it.

That would make a good statue though.

• Advertisement

Gosh it was that much of a success? Yes definitely statue material, we could perhaps site it adjacent to the new pedestrian bridge, shown on the city map as F1 and F2.
    It looks like I will have to volunteer, Foxy

Oh dear, that was ridiculous. TV forum saying it's got cancellation written all over it.

That would make a good statue though.

But where the heck are we going to fit a statue that has to incorporate a plane above a car? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Walter's going to have some craic driving over that new bridge.

Well how about a plinth in the river, the council do not seem bothered about conservation, Walter, Plane and Car would be photo material for our American tourists.
    By the sounds of it "Scorpion" is likely to become a cult series, similar to Dr Who, I mean did anyone expect the Dr to last so long?
    One of the great problems is that some of the older generation find it difficult to perceive the future, the statue would be no problem we might even suggest using laser aided techniques where we can change the statue and the colour from time to time, remember nothing is sacred anymore.
    Open your vision what has gone has gone for ever.
    Technocrat Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Well how about a plinth in the river, the council do not seem bothered about conservation, Walter, Plane and Car would be photo material for our American tourists.
    By the sounds of it "Scorpion" is likely to become a cult series, similar to Dr Who, I mean did anyone expect the Dr to last so long?
    One of the great problems is that some of the older generation find it difficult to perceive the future, the statue would be no problem we might even suggest using laser aided techniques where we can change the statue and the colour from time to time, remember nothing is sacred anymore.
    Open your vision what has gone has gone for ever.
    Technocrat Foxy

.........it wont be more than 1 series

Oh ye of so little faith.
    Believe in Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Oh ye of so little faith.
    Believe in Foxy

Foxy..you drinking again?

Mon ami, non, vere do I get a Chateau Bottled Sauterne or Barsac?
    No point drinking for the sake of it, perhaps we should build a brewery in Kilkenny?
    Have we got a statue of Mr Smithwick?
    Auvoir Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Copy the Naas "Orb" but make it a sliotar instead :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Wimbago wrote: »
    Copy the Naas "Orb" but make it a sliotar instead :P

You were probably joking, but I think that's actually not a bad idea.

Advertisement