Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statue for Kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Wimbago wrote: »
    Copy the Naas "Orb" but make it a sliotar instead :P

Something to put on the side of the motorway on the approach to Kilkenny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Sounds good, but who would see it?, The parade is the only place, at least tourists will pass it by. More concerned about Walt and Jimmy, one each end of the bridge, guess it depends which bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Sounds good, but who would see it?, The parade is the only place, at least tourists will pass it by. More concerned about Walt and Jimmy, one each end of the bridge, guess it depends which bridge.

Ermm, everyone that passes on the motorway :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

jesus ****ing christ, 2 weeks ago you never heard of either now it's walt and jimmy?? ffs

Come on, one cannot stop on the motorway, it would be a complete waste, you might just as well put it Tipperary, how many stop at the pike men? A fantastic piece of art, how many know it even exists.
    So on which motorway you going to put it on from the North or from the South, think about it.
    As for Walt and Jimmy, seeing I passed by the old sign about Jimmy living on the R691 maybe the last twenty years, so whats wrong, and why not Walt one of our boys who has made good, suppose a bit like our Philly.

• Advertisement

Looks like you all agree we cannot even think of putting a statue on the motorway, I mean Cabaal is a person of great integrity and wisdom, to suggest the motorway was completely out of context.
    Well the pikemen sit on the road from Rosslare Harbour to New Ross on the left hand side, apparently they depict the Vinegar Hill uprising.
    You could not have a sign on the motorway, so no one would know what the statue was about.
    Personally travelling at 100kms I really do not look at anything but the road and traffic around and where necessary signs indicating how far to the next exit and the such like.
    Sorry about this but road safety is so important.
    Driving with care Foxy

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Wexfords hurling statue.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

kikel wrote: »
    Wexfords hurling statue.

Nicky doesn't look too stable...a few hefty, well oiled, gombeens on his back and he'll topple over!?

We are really lacking in statues and public toilets both are very similar, however these things are likely to stay for years and eventually someone will ask why, the toilets we can explain statues are not so easy, will dear old Cody be remembered in 10 years time or Henry, though I saw a lovely memorial to Ollie Walsh in Thomastown yesterday, really super but will visitors understand how we love or it might be loved hurling in ten years, time is not a great rememberer. I wonder how many famous Kilkennians have come and gone without being remembered, you should see the crowds at the Hoban memorial on the 691, I saw one person a month ago, it will eventually become an eyesore, though it does sort of look like a public toilet from a distance.
    There must be a real personage who deserves recognition, other than me.
    Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Ignatius_Rice ?
    The bridge is named in his honour down here and we've the Mount Sion shrine to him but he's a Callan man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

We are really lacking in statues and public toilets both are very similar, however these things are likely to stay for years and eventually someone will ask why, the toilets we can explain statues are not so easy, will dear old Cody be remembered in 10 years time or Henry, though I saw a lovely memorial to Ollie Walsh in Thomastown yesterday, really super but will visitors understand how we love or it might be loved hurling in ten years, time is not a great rememberer. I wonder how many famous Kilkennians have come and gone without being remembered, you should see the crowds at the Hoban memorial on the 691, I saw one person a month ago, it will eventually become an eyesore, though it does sort of look like a public toilet from a distance. There must be a real personage who deserves recognition, other than me. Foxy

Is there not public toilets on the parade? Hurling has been very popular in Kilkenny for a loooooong time now and I am sure it will be for a long time more. The statue is not for visitors, it's for the people of Kilkenny. Cody is the best manager of all time and should be and deserves to be remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Foxy..you do realise that you are supporting the arts with this thread and that definitely makes you quite "arty" and probably even a little bit "farty"...? Didn't think that was your thing??

The day before we went to Grennan Mill in Thomastown to look at the pottery and things, well it was obvious some people had put a lot of hard work into the exhibits but alas it wasn't my cup of tea nor did the price being asked for the objects, yes it was really arty farty, the intention was to come back to Kilkenny and take in a few sites, no we stopped off at Nicholas Mosse in Bennettsbridge, we added to our collection had a lovely coff and raspberry sponge cake, never got to Kilkenny.
    As a mute point getting into Grennan Mill has not changed over the years, yes I have been before and I still cannot come to terms with the afrt produced.
    So far no one has made a foxcover teddy, every home should have one.
    Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

As a mute point getting......

You? Mute points? We hear you loud and clear everytime, Foxy :)
    I still cannot come to terms with the afrt produced.

I'm still trying to come to terms with one I produced earlier, really assailing the auld nostrils :D

I think we are at a loss who to erect a statue of, various names have been put forward and mostly rubbished for a variety of reasons, but why a personage, Kilkenny is famous for being farm country, so to get away from so called famous people why not an animal if you like the sacred cow, we no doubt have a champion amongst our stock or a Bull a large one.
    Moffatt in Scotland has a sheep in the middle of its main street, it may have had a name but it sticks out as a memory, where in truth people really do not the ravages of time, we have Edmund Rice in Callan very nice but ask who the statue is of, an important man in our time, well maybe our older posters and citizens but todays; our generation not really, it would be like putting Phil Hogan on the parade, probably useful for the local dogs, well just an early morning thought, Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

andyman wrote: »
    I also think a statue of someone involved in hurling with be a bit wrong as well.

Yes, Cody and Shefflin are heroes, but I think a statue should be of a local person who made an impact for many people inside and outside of Kilkenny. It's hard to word but what I'm saying is Cody and Shefflin are heroes here but the rest if the country don't really care.

An Albert Reynolds-type character would be the type of person I'd want a statue of. Not a hurler.

You could not be more wrong.

These men are legends in their own lifetime, we are luck that they walk among us.

Tourists are also fascinated by Hurling and it would be a great photo-op.

This famous man attitude, what about famous women, okay everyone has Brian on their lips, as usual Camogie girls are forgotten, there are two species women and men the later only arrive because of the first, without getting technical there is artificial means, back to Camogie, Angela Downey, we also have a very famous cook Ann Neary both are much more photogenic than these so called super heroes who we are lucky to walk amongst. Pity Coolmore stud is not in Kilkenny they might have coughed up a few shekels for a decent statue of a horse.
    Remember Kilkenny is farm country, then there is Len Cohen that would be fitting under the circumstances he is known well almost world wide, interesting but Angela gets my vote,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Pity Coolmore stud is not in Kilkenny they might have coughed up a few shekels for a decent statue of a horse.

Red Rum was from Kilkenny

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Thank you Sir, fancy that Red Rum was one of ours, I think you might have solved the problem; Red Rum could be the inspiration of what Kilkenny is a winner in every sense, thanks again must do some history on the horse, maybe we could put the jockey on as well, I know stick Foxy on board, tra

There is this in memory of the Kilkenny Hurlers. But do you know where?

358631.JPG

• Advertisement

Looks to be in a very inconspicuous place, but a nice touch, so put us out of our misery, hey does the Lawrie Maher centre still exist? Do not seem to see any advertising, though I did go there once.
    I was going to say about the Hurling statue, appart from Brian the names of the hurlers slip away in time, no one mentions DJ, Charlie Carter, John Power mention the names to youngster's who are they?
    So would a hurling statue have the same effect? Whereas Red Rum would make a fine edition to the city, I suggest slightly more than the statue of St Canice outside the Bank Of Ireland.
    Perhaps there is a upsurge of support for Red Rum, Foxy

No idea where that plaque is? Laurie Maher open or closed?
    What is the basis of saying tourists are fascinated by hurling? Even many locals aren't and whilst I might say about Brian and Henry they are not really legends and tbh they really do not warrant a statue. Red Rum would eclipse both, the power of horse racing is world wide.
    Pity boards does not reach more people and perhaps we might get a more balanced view, we do not want a male dominated view, think about it Angela Downey was a champion she did so much for the girls of Kilkenny, come on everyone.
    Foxy for equality

Lory Meagher Centre has been closed for the last couple of years, - and as far as I know the buildings were sold some time ago. It's a pity, - it was a lovely facility but maybe it was too far off the beaten track and wasn't getting the visitors.

Plaque is in the rose garden if the castle. To the left of fountain close the the wall of the parade. Seen a guy in a galway Jersey shouting at it the other day.

What was he shouting "It's a Tipp"?

I have a new candidate for a statue, someone who has done a great deal for our city especially tourists, Edward Langton, what would John st look like without his establishment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I have a new candidate for a statue, someone who has done a great deal for our city especially tourists, Edward Langton, what would John st look like without his establishment?

effigies are only erected in memoriam.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Ahh foxy..come on now. .! I hope you're only messin? John st would look the exact same except langtons would have a different name over the door..

Rantan wrote: »
    Ahh foxy..come on now. .! I hope you're only messin? John st would look the exact same except langtons would have a different name over the door..
    While I wouldn't build him a statue I do respect him as a business man. Yeah there would be a different sign over the door but I don't think many would have done as well out of that place as him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Rantan wrote: »
    So basically you're saying if you're name was over the door it would be exactly the same, no need to effort or personal commitment.
    Dream on.

Advertisement