Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statue for Kilkenny

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

That's it, a tableau in bronze of a couple of stags and hens crossing paths, one could be puking their ring, the other oblivious as they knock back cans and curry chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

This statue will be enormous the block that it's been carved from weighed 27 tonnes when freed from the quarry cut down to 22 tones before moving to the sculpters workshop. I believe it will be about 20 odd feet tall so no one is going to run away with it.

Ideas for a statues in Kilkenny of the top of my head:

St Canice- we have the head what about the whole man.

William Marshall- The founder of the town of Kilkenny and gave it it's borough charter. One of the most interesting characters in Norman history he helped save the queen of England Eleanor of Aquitane as a young man, He trained her three sons to be warriors Young King Henry, Richard the Lion Heart and the bold King John. He went on Crusade, he became regent of England on the death of King John. He had copies of the Magna Carta made and circulated throughout the kingdom after King John had tried to supress it. He became a Templar and his grave can still be seen in the Temple in London. He was one of the greatest knights to ever live and he founded our town/city.

Alice Kyteler- We all know who she is either her or Petronella de Mead who was actually burned at the stake.

Bishop Richard Ledrede- The one who condemned Alice and Petronilla.

Friar John Clynn- wrote one of the most famous accounts of the black death as it swept across Ireland

Dean Jonathan Swift- Educated in Kilkenny and had family here he became one of the most famous satirists ever.

Bishop George Berkeley- was a philosopher who proposed the theory of immaterialism. He had a university and and city in California named after him.

James Hoban- architect of the White House and supervised the construction of the Capitol building in Washington DC among others.

Edmund Ignatius Rice- founder of the Christian Brothers Schools, unfortunately it's been tainted in recent times but he's original vision was to educate the illiterate and poor children.

James Stephens- a founder of the IRB Irish Republican Brotherhood and revolutionary born on Blackmill street

William T Cosgrave- not a Kilkenny man but voted into the first Dail from the Kilkenny constituency while in prison in Frangoch and represented Kilkenny from 1917-1927 and he led the Free State government in that period after the death of Arthur Griffith and Michael Collins. He also held the position of Minster for Local Government, Minster for Finance, President of Dail Eireann, Chairman of the Provisional Government, President of the Executive Council.

James Nowlan- President of the GAA during the revolutionary years and a local councillor

Red Rum- born, retired and died in Kells buried at the finishing post in Aintree he won the grand national in 73, 74 and 77 was second in 75, and 76 retired with a hairline fracture in 78

Brian Cody- greatest hurling manager of all time but a bit early for the statue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Hi, could not help this, that post is probably one of the best I have ever read on boards, it is what a local forum is about, no name calling or sly digs, bravo, may you write many more, one note younforgot to mention me, ah well we cannot have everything

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

This is to be unveiled on Thursday morning.

I see it's got a security guard around it every evening at the moment. Will he be staying around after its unveiled? Protect the monument on a Saturday night. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

kikel wrote: »
    This is to be unveiled on Thursday morning.

Perfect really, everyone in work and every kid in school, give the suits a chance for a decent few photos for the People. Them and the "dutch gold" brigade on the canal.:confused:

• Advertisement

Comerman wrote: »
    Perfect really, everyone in work and every kid in school, give the suits a chance for a decent few photos for the People. Them and the "dutch gold" brigade on the canal.:confused:
    I think the dutch gold brigade will complement it, plus it's proximity to the ultimate vomitron that is Lanigans ties it all together nicely. I think Kilkenny is getting the statue it deserves.

Pics

I now understand why Joe Malone was so vocal on getting the statue in place so soon. In my opinion you don't normally hear much about him as a councillor. http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/205176/Confirmed--Hurling-monument-set-for.html
    The unveiling of the statue was his last public appearance before stepping down. Pity Joe can't be vocal on other matters that concern Kilkenny. ;)

Statue looks well in my opinion.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Looks good, be nicer when its abit weathered. Must take a look at it at the weekend.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Looks good, be nicer when its abit weathered. Must take a look at it at the weekend.
    My thoughts too, it's just too lurid in its freshness but a few wettings, beer staining, some vomit, urination from other county fans passing through and it will blend in.

Actually I reckon it will become must-do for stags from rival hurling counties to piss on the statue.

No shenanigans for the next few days. The council are paying for a security guard to protect the new statue.

Looking closely at the state it will be very easy for people climb up on it. Could this damage it at the weekend influx. Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

one of them looks like he's on pills

one of them looks like he's on pills
    More like roids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

how much did it cost in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

No shenanigans for the next few days. The council are paying for a security guard to protect the new statue.

Looking closely at the state it will be very easy for people climb up on it. Could this damage it at the weekend influx. Time will tell.

That's not it's final resting place surely?!

Sky King wrote: »
    I believe it is. Until some gang of disgruntled rival county fans get a 30 ton digger and fling it into the river. Probably will get vandalized sooner, I reckon sprayed in Tipp colours first and so on.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    how much did it cost in the end?

120K according to some randomer i was talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

catbear wrote: »
    I believe it is. Until some gang of disgruntled rival county fans get a 30 ton digger and fling it into the river. Probably will get vandalized sooner, I reckon sprayed in Tipp colours first and so on.

Is it easily cleaned? Dunno if that would happen necessarily, Wexford haven't had any trouble with their Rackard statue, Christy Ring in Cork has always been left alone as well. The fact that it's a monument to KK hurling itself rather than any particular hurler might make it more of a target, but I think that was the right thing to do.

Also, much, much better idea than some statue of a horse or whatever. The identity of the city and the county is so bound up with hurling that it's a wonder there hasn't been something like this before. Putting up a statue of a horse just because it resonates more worldwide is missing the point (for me, anyway!). If the objective is to produce an expression of what makes us who we are, a hurling monument is a great choice. A lot of the suggestions on this thread seemed to be more about impressing American tourists than capturing the identity of the place. I do like the idea of a statue dedicated to stag parties though...

Heard a few people mention it would be moved to Brewery site, who knows!!! I'd say it will be there until a future council get a grant and then decide to do a refurb on canal square to use up any available grant money.

Is it easily cleaned? Dunno if that would happen necessarily, Wexford haven't had any trouble with their Rackard statue, Christy Ring in Cork has always been left alone as well. The fact that it's a monument to KK hurling itself rather than any particular hurler might make it more of a target, but I think that was the right thing to do.

Emphasis on the word AGAIN. :)
    http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/nicky-rackard-statue-at-selskar-is-damaged-again-31375963.html

Unfortunately, the Kilkenny Statue is very close to the activities late on a Saturday night. I believe the area is monitored by CCTV from the Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Emphasis on the word AGAIN. :)
    http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/nicky-rackard-statue-at-selskar-is-damaged-again-31375963.html

Unfortunately, the Kilkenny Statue is very close to the activities late on a Saturday night. I believe the area is monitored by CCTV from the Garda station.

I stand corrected on the Rackard statue so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Drove past earlier. Looks great in reality- very impressive... though I only saw it for a second going by. I'd love to get a good close look at it. The pics here don't do it justice.

One thing that struck me was how it looks a bit like it was just plonked there. A pedestal even just 20cm high would make a big difference and make the whole thing look more finished .

The pics here don't do it justice.

What you saying about my pic? :p

You do have to see it up close. I passed during the ceremony but came later for a proper look. It really is impressive piece of sculpture. The artist was still around hours later after all the officials out for a photo shoot talking to people. Didn't speak to him myself but he seemed well chuffed. Fair play to him.

One thing that struck me was how it looks a bit like it was just plonked there. A pedestal even just 20cm high would make a big difference and make the whole thing look more finished .

Yeah, I reckon the fresh cut look fade and it won't seem so stark after some weathering, urine and birdpoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The statue looks like it was designed by someone who used to work for Viz magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I really like it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

I really like this Statue..
    26721168134_362b361d2d_c.jpgIMG_4399 by niall.hirsch, on Flickr

I think the statue's excellent but why is yer man on the right holding the hurl arseways?????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Comerman wrote: »
    I think the statue's excellent but why is yer man on the right holding the hurl arseways?????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's because it was designed by a Clare man. ;)

Mabye that's where the phrase "hatchet man" came from :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement