Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Will iPod classic 160GB be phased out soon?

• 24-08-2014 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭

My iPod classic 160Gb is an essential part of my life:

- The click-wheel has the advantage of being usable *through* my waterproof jacket when I cycle

- The storage space is perfect for my requirements

- I have several iPod docks that use the classic connector

- I love being able to start/stop songs while the device is in my pocket. A touch-screen would require me to take it out of my pocket and find the start-stop button on screen.

I'm aware that products have an expiration date, and also that Apple are notoriously fickle about products they no longer wish to support and could stop selling them at the drop of a hat.

So question is, do I stock up on another 1 or 2 iPod classics to see me through the next 10 years?

Is there any hint they will stop selling them soon?

EDIT: hmm interesting: http://www.stuff.tv/apple/why-you-need-buy-ipod-classic-now/news

could be worth buying a few just for the resale value

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I don't think they'll stop selling them...they've just stopped updating them. I've had a few in my time and they're great and fairly easy to repair.

It seems part of the reason you don't want a touchscreen is so that you can start and stop without looking. Apple's headphones all have a little remote control and mic built in so you don't have to touch the screen to pause, play, and I think next track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Zcott wrote: »
    It seems part of the reason you don't want a touchscreen is so that you can start and stop without looking. Apple's headphones all have a little remote control and mic built in so you don't have to touch the screen to pause, play, and I think next track.

Yeah but I want to use my own headphones which may not have this remote.

Additionally I listed the other points which are just as important.

I guess it's safe to assume they'll phase them out because it will be only device with the old connector

They probably will withdraw it eventually, but like anything with Apple it's quite hard to say. That article you posted is from 18 months ago and it hasn't happened yet.

Regarding the headphones, when I'm out and about I use a pair of Sennheiser MM30i headphones which include the Apple controls, so you wouldn't necessarily be stuck with the Earpods. Of course this is no use for the headphones you already have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

As joked on this week’s ATP, we will just go to the store one day and it will be gone. And it’ll probably take a few days for anyone to notice.

I think will be around for another while yet, though.

I prefer the clickwheel as i can literally perform all the wheel functions through my thin waterproof jacket (volume raise / start / stop etc) without having to fiddle with a small clip on the headphone that could get damaged or waterlogged.

Nice n robust, would be a shame to lose this functionality.

Do they generally give a few months notice before taking something like this off the shelves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Based on these two articles, I would probably try and stash a few away if I were you

Link 1

Link 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That first article is over a year and a half old. The lack of updates doesn’t mean anything either except that Apple doesn’t know what else to do with the iPod Classic.

As I’ve learned from my constant predictions of the demise of the Mac Mini, Apple will keep making something as long as it sells and fulfils a role in its line-up. The current iPod Classic does everything it needs to do. The only reason to update it would be to add a lightning connector, which ya never know, they may yet do.

Even when they do eventually discontinue it, its not going to suddenly vanish from of the face of the earth. Resellers will have old stock to sell off and there’ll probably be refurbs available as well.

when they do eventually discontinue it

I guess that's pretty inevitable. If they upgrade the connector then the several iPod docks I have around the house will become redundant.

So stocking up on 2 of these is probably a good idea if I want to continue having the same setup for at least another 6/8 years.

Could be a good investment to have as I'm sure an unwrapped one will go for good money in 20 years ;)

I guess my posting was rather timely as the Apple conference is on in a week.

What are the bets on iPod Classic being discussed (as either being discontinued or replaced with a lower-capacity flash version) ?

Also do you think the price of the old one will rise or fall if it's discontinued?

They still seem to serve a use, so they won't say they're discontinuing them. And even if they were discontinuing them, they'd just quietly drop it instead of announcing it.

Suspect there are enough floating around Amazon and eBay that prices wouldn't change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

:-(

mrcheez wrote: »
    I guess my posting was rather timely as the Apple conference is on in a week.

What are the bets on iPod Classic being discussed (as either being discontinued or replaced with a lower-capacity flash version) ?

Also do you think the price of the old one will rise or fall if it's discontinued?

And somehow I knew...spooky

Anyhoo, time to buy 2 or 3 of em cuz I want to keep my setup for several more years

Let's hope prices don't rise as I predicted, although i seem to be oddly good at that :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

And somehow I knew...spooky

Anyhoo, time to buy 2 or 3 of em cuz I want to keep my setup for several more years

Let's hope prices don't rise as I predicted, although i seem to be oddly good at that :/

Argos are still stocking them, if that's any good to you.

I've searched several websites and there appear to be loads of these available on sale, so I'll bide my time for a few days and see if the price drops further. I'm guessing most kiddies will want the newer ipods so perhaps these will in fact drop in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Say I bought 2 of these as backup, how long can they be kept "good" assuming they are kept wrapped in their boxes in a clean storage environment at room temperature?

Does a Lithium battery start to degrade after 10 years or whatever?

Would I be able to test if they are DOA, or once turned on would the battery degrade process start?

EDIT: some interesting comments here: http://www.instructables.com/answers/How-long-will-a-lithium-battery-store/
    and
    http://www.mpoweruk.com/storage.htm

Perhaps better to recharge both once a year or so

Say I bought 2 of these as backup, how long can they be kept "good" assuming they are kept wrapped in their boxes in a clean storage environment at room temperature?

Does a Lithium battery start to degrade after 10 years or whatever?

Would I be able to test if they are DOA, or once turned on would the battery degrade process start?

EDIT: some interesting comments here: http://www.instructables.com/answers/How-long-will-a-lithium-battery-store/
    and
    http://www.mpoweruk.com/storage.htm

Perhaps better to recharge both once a year or so

Judging by the amount of iPod repair places there are, I'd say you could get batteries for a good while yet.

I'd rather keep the batteries in good condition though, would a once-every-6-months recharge suffice to keep both spares in decent nick?

Lithium-ion batteries begin to deteriorate from the moment they're manufactured so you can't avoid it. Leave it at around a 40% charge level when in storage as it's better for the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Silver is €225 in Argos at the moment. Got one in Cork yesterday. Black is €244. Harvey Norman were €269

Got the last one in Dublin for €225 (think there's one left in Santry)... as I predicted initially the price for these is shooting up.

The Amazon one has gone up about €40 already.. doh!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

godtabh wrote: »
    And they are gone

you don't say :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

you don't say :rolleyes:

I don't but the Indo does

There are still several black ones selling in Argos for €246.99

My 2 backups should see me through the next decade ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There are still several black ones selling in Argos for €246.99

My 2 backups should see me through the next decade ;)

PC World in Mahon has black or silver for €239.

Could be a good investment to have as I'm sure an unwrapped one will go for good money in 20 years ;)

I spoke too soon... these are already twice the price I paid for mine.

http://entertainment.ie/life/Still-have-your-old-iPod-classic-lying-around-somewhere-Because-it-could-be-worth-a-lot-of-money/323052.htm

Hmm if crazy money is offered in the next week I might offload one of my sealed-box ones

• Advertisement
Advertisement